Ideas on eating less and avoiding lightheadedness/dizziness and zombie brain?

Options
After breakfast yesterday I didn't feel hungry so I didn't eat anything more until around 3pm when I walked a short ways to the subway. I had a small snack but it wasn't enough, and even though I didn't feel hungry my head started to go woozy and I stopped being able to hold a conversation and needed to sit down. I had a cheese sandwich at 4:15 and it took about another hour before I felt I could function more or less, but I never lost the headache.

This happens if I skip breakfast but also when I eat less at a meal than usual. It makes it hard to eat fewer calories when it has physical and mental repercussions.

Does anyone else experience this? How do you manage it? Or train yourself to need less?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have your calorie goal set too low. What are your stats (height, age, weight)? How many calories are you eating a day? Are you eating back exercise calories?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eating somewhat regularly works for most people. But you shouldn't feel like you're about to faint just from skipping a meal. A lower weight means we need less food (so you don't have to train to eat less). But you have to eat enough. What is your calorie goal? Do you hit it every day? Have you had a physical checkup - could be a blood sugar of blood pressure issue?
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    After breakfast yesterday I didn't feel hungry so I didn't eat anything more until around 3pm when I walked a short ways to the subway. I had a small snack but it wasn't enough, and even though I didn't feel hungry my head started to go woozy and I stopped being able to hold a conversation and needed to sit down. I had a cheese sandwich at 4:15 and it took about another hour before I felt I could function more or less, but I never lost the headache.

This happens if I skip breakfast but also when I eat less at a meal than usual. It makes it hard to eat fewer calories when it has physical and mental repercussions.

Does anyone else experience this? How do you manage it? Or train yourself to need less?

Feeling dizzy or faint without food sounds like a blood sugar issue. Go to the doctor asap. You might have hypoglycaemia.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I also feel woozy if I do not eat breakfast. My solution is to never skip breakfast and always eat some protein at breakfast.
  • GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Blood sugar problems. Most people can fast an entire day (or days) without needing to sit down due to dizziness. You should see a doctor.

BUT...even without the blood sugar issues, eating a minimum of amount of calories per meal does help lose weight. Through MFP, I've learned that I have a minimum of 400ish calories a meal in order not to bing eat later in the day. In order for my snack to be satisfying, I need a 150-200ish calories. That is a range of 1600 calories a day, which is low for me--female, 52 yrs, 5'9", not sedentary.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    was the small snack and cheese sandwich all you ate or did you have other snacks and lunch as well? It sounds like it could help to take a look at when and how you're eating. I'm going to assume you ate breakfast around 8 am which means you went 7 hours without eating. And even then a small snack and cheese sandwich doesn't sound like the most nutritious thing. If you struggle with breakfast then look at having a very light breakfast or even saving it for mid-morning if it helps you stomach it better.

If you're looking to reduce calories then look at eating more of foods that aren't so calorie dense like vegetables and cut down on the very calorie dense foods (like cheese) and eat regularly (you should never be starving hungry even when you're trying to lose weight). It's all about balance- no one can healthily train themselves to eat a ridiculously tiny number of calories healthily because our bodies aren't made for it. You can certainly cut down your calories but do it gradually and listen to your body. If you're getting faint and dizzy then that's your body telling you you're putting too much strain on it.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    What you experienced is Hypoglycaemia .
    LOW BLOOD SUGAR!
    Have you been tested for Diabetes?
    You don't need to be Diabetic to suffer Low blood sugar.

The period between eating was too long and your body has body responded in kind.
    May I suggest you plan to eat smaller meals regularly. High protein with complex carbs.
    Also drinking at least 3 litres of water a day.
  • Selkie_Runner
    Selkie_Runner Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I've just had a look at your diary as it's open and you're not logging so you have no idea how much you're eating so not eating enough is the simple answer. I know everyone normally jumps to Medical issues in this forum but normally the most simple answer is where it's at and the simple answer is your not eating enough. Check your calorie goals and make sure they're sensible also sometimes especially after a period without food your body doesn't send hunger signals so even if you don't feel hungry does not mean your body isn't. I know on my Fast days I rarely feel hungry even though my Calorie amounts are low.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Just like others said, sounds like a hypoglycemia issue. Are your calories too low? Have you reduced your carb intake drastically? See a doctor to rule out any medical issues, and if everything is fine try to eat more, more frequently, and with some carbs with each meal (slow carbs should work better). See if that would solve the issue.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Are you on a specific eating plan or did you just cut your calories and are still eating the same?

Reducing simple carbs (like bagels and bread) in favor of more complex carbs (like cooked sweet potatoes that have been cooled) along with 3 oz protein should help reduce blood sugar spikes.

Also, 1 oz peanut butter (assuming you're not allergic) with no sugar added is 190 calories and depending on the kind you get (one without hydrolyzed or soybean oil) will help keep your blood sugar even. I also like EPIC bars (a meat / fat based paleo protein bar, but they are a bit pricey.)

For example, this is what I eat every day (approx 1400 calories)
    • Breakfast - 2 HB eggs with a cold boiled potato and a splash of EVOO / sea salt (6:30)
    • Lunch - Chopped salad (veggies include resistant starch, like jicama) plus 3 oz poultry or fish (11:00)
    • Snack 1 oz peanut butter with some hot tea (3:00)
    • Dinner - Protein, veggies, small portion of resistant starch (like rice, potatoes, yams that have been cooked and then cooled and are eaten at room temperature to preserve the resistant starch properties -- I make mine in bulk and refrigerate ans use as needed.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

Need some more context. I'm also not jumping on the medical bandwagon just yet. How can we judge if we don't know what you're eating in general?

Hunger cues (or lack thereof) can be deceiving. You should come close to your target calories each day. If you are doing that, and you know you are doing that, and still feeling the way you describe, then I'd consider medical issues a possibility. But how do you know if you aren't tracking?

It could also be a simple matter that you are eating at too big of a deficit. Again, without context (including height, weight, age and eating habits) it's impossible to know.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem too. From 3-6 I was out of it, then I would be alert later that night. Ironically, when I do low carb, I dont have it. I am doing Keto and intermittant fasting (eat at 1 and 6pm ish), and its working for me. I am not hungry and have no afternoon malaise. I dont miss breakfast at all and I am not sure I subscribe to breakfast being the most important meal anymore.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I get headaches sometimes if I do not drink enough. I have not had dizziness or trouble concentrating.

Are you eating much less than you need to? Have a smaller calorie deficit (lose slower but more comfortably)
    Go more slowly making changes. Start out eating at maintenance and logging for a week or two. Then start reducing calories by 100 calories a week until you reach a comfortable deficit for you. -250 to lose .5 lb per week or -500 to lose 1 lb per week

Fill out your day with more low calorie vegetables and fruits.
    If your appetite is small eat or drink more calorie dense items. Try smaller meals spaced throughout the day every 3 hours maybe. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    Make sure you are getting enough protein, fats and fiber with what you do eat.

Did you drink anything? Sometimes if you are not hungry it is easier to sip on milk, a shake or a smoothie than eating.

See your doctor.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Those are classic signs of low blood sugar. As a first step, up your calorie levels immediately. If that doesn't fix things, see a doctor.

You can't train yourself to function without enough energy. It just doesn't happen - your body needs a certain amount just to run and if it doesn't get it, it will let you know.
  • Sisepuede422
    Sisepuede422 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Coffee does that to me. If you drink coffee, try eliminating that for two weeks and see how you feel.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I know it was dumb but it's also frustrating. Like you've said, I see people not blink and work through missed meals and I just stop functioning altogether.

Yeah my log is pretty empty now, I changed the meals around in mfp and it deleted a bunch of old logs - and I was effectively off the bandwagon for the past year. I've never quite got on properly tbh.

I'm currently overeating/above maintenance and gaining. I'm at my highest weight rn, 205lbs and I'm 5'2 23 yo woman.

My first goal is to stop eating junk food and meals out, and keep up with my physio. Adding in yoga one day and some walking. Then calorie counting. I got overwhelmed before with too many things and just gave up so I'm trying to move slower this time.

Ill add in today though so if you want a sense of a "good" day for me you'll have it. Though today was more meat-heavy than usual - I felt so good. No issues. I know getting enough protein is a challenge- it's something I'm working on. But trying to avoid buying food - it gets difficult sometimes when I'm terrified of this happening if I don't eat all the time :/

I think you maybe right about getting checked out. I have a few other things on the back burner, so it might be time to book an appointment. I thought this feeling was normal and people just pushed through and did stuff anyway and I was really weak that I couldn't, but now I know people who don't experience this at all so idk. Diabetes runs in my family, but I'd be really upset if I have it now at 23 :( better to know though.
  • kiela64
    Options

Need some more context. I'm also not jumping on the medical bandwagon just yet. How can we judge if we don't know what you're eating in general?

Hunger cues (or lack thereof) can be deceiving. You should come close to your target calories each day. If you are doing that, and you know you are doing that, and still feeling the way you describe, then I'd consider medical issues a possibility. But how do you know if you aren't tracking?

It could also be a simple matter that you are eating at too big of a deficit. Again, without context (including height, weight, age and eating habits) it's impossible to know.

I also updated today as a more "typical" day. It's "better" in that I didn't buy food or junk food, but I still overate by a lot. Idk if the context helps! But I usually hit or well over exceed the cal goal. Thanks though.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Coffee does that to me. If you drink coffee, try eliminating that for two weeks and see how you feel.

I actually don't normally drink coffee - and didn't on the day I described. Thanks though!
  • kiela64
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Are you on a specific eating plan or did you just cut your calories and are still eating the same?

Reducing simple carbs (like bagels and bread) in favor of more complex carbs (like cooked sweet potatoes that have been cooled) along with 3 oz protein should help reduce blood sugar spikes.

Also, 1 oz peanut butter (assuming you're not allergic) with no sugar added is 190 calories and depending on the kind you get (one without hydrolyzed or soybean oil) will help keep your blood sugar even. I also like EPIC bars (a meat / fat based paleo protein bar, but they are a bit pricey.)

For example, this is what I eat every day (approx 1400 calories)
    • Breakfast - 2 HB eggs with a cold boiled potato and a splash of EVOO / sea salt (6:30)
    • Lunch - Chopped salad (veggies include resistant starch, like jicama) plus 3 oz poultry or fish (11:00)
    • Snack 1 oz peanut butter with some hot tea (3:00)
    • Dinner - Protein, veggies, small portion of resistant starch (like rice, potatoes, yams that have been cooked and then cooled and are eaten at room temperature to preserve the resistant starch properties -- I make mine in bulk and refrigerate ans use as needed.

Thank you!

I didn't know temperatures did anything that's interesting.