Is it ok to do different exercise everyday of the week?

Options
Hello,

Just wanted to ask whether its ok to do different exercises everyday of the week? I am thinking cycling a couple days, jogging a couple times, may be a couple short strength training sessions, occasional Zumba session or just a long walk on days I am bored. Currently I walk most days, with 2-3 days of cycling.

Does anyone see problem with this? Any suggestions/tips welcome.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, and it suits whatever goal you may have, why not! :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with doing different exercise but you might ask yourself whether you are exercising with a particular goal in mind or if you are just exercising to be exercising.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    Sure ... why not?

I walk and climb stairs 5 days a week, cycle 2 days on the weekends + an additional evening or two during the week, take a spinning class on Mondays and often stay to do some rowing, lift some weights now and then, go for a hike up a mountain or head out canoeing occasionally ...

There's no requirement to do the same thing all the time. In fact, doing a variety of things works different parts of the body.

For example, cycling is great but doesn't do much for upper body or bone density. But walking with a backpack and climbing stairs can help with the bone density issue, and rowing, canoeing, and weight lifting can help with some upper body development.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Do it! B)
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great way to try out new things and see what you like. Then, if you find something you really like, you might end up doing more of it :).
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I do one zumba and two clubbercise classes a wee, on the other days I do exercise dvds of various types or long walks. The only day I don't really exercise is Thursday, because I have done a double class (zumba and clubbercise) the previous evening, but I still walk to and from work. Mixing it up stops me getting bored and makes sure I'm working different muscle groups.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I workout most days, if not all days a week. You can have a goal and undertake a variety of activities. For instance I am undertaking a strength program and undertaking half marathon training. I am a proficient runner, running 2/3 times a week and meeting my goals. I have just started the specific strength gains BUT I have been getting stronger through CrossFit and improving my running alongside for a good 2 years. You can have more than one goal and you can do more than one thing. Alongside strength and running I play Netball because I enjoy team sports and do yoga to relax.
  • nehaad88
    nehaad88 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    LotusCass wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    It's ok. But, a little pointless. Typically, I like to set goals and then achieve them. So, if I start running, I might set my goal on a 5k. Then, when I get that, a 10k. Then when I do that, maybe a half marathon. If I'm always doing different things, I can't really get to a goal.

How would it be considered pointless? It depends on the goal? If the goal is to exercise regularly and the OP enjoys mixing it up, then is that pointless? There doesn't always have to be a specific fitness goal other than losing weight or wxweomore often.

OP I do 1 long walk, 1 cycle, 1 zumba, 2 circuit classes (that are different each week) & 1 Pilates a week. My goal is to burn calories and exercise regularly and I love mixing it up. It's been working for me so far as I've lost 20lbs. Do what you enjoy.

you are correct. My primary goal is to burn a moderate amount of calories. For now. As the previous poster said, I might define some other goal and work towards it, eventually.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a specific goal in mind (ie preparing for a race etc) having a variety of workouts is a great way to improve fitness, reduce the likelihood of overuse injury, and keep boredom at bay.

Have fun!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    It's ok. But, a little pointless. Typically, I like to set goals and then achieve them. So, if I start running, I might set my goal on a 5k. Then, when I get that, a 10k. Then when I do that, maybe a half marathon. If I'm always doing different things, I can't really get to a goal.

Bike, run, swim can't be a goal?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I like to mix up my workouts as well. I take a couple bootcamp classes a week, three weightlifting classes, a boxing and now that I've started cycling I do that on the weekends as well. I still have my Classpass membership so I can try one different class a month through that. I would get bored otherwise. Not sure why it's pointless if you like to vary your activities. Even though I am only a weekend cyclist I have goals associated with that activity and lifting goals as well.
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It's exercise and if doing a variety works for you then go for it. I do 5 different exercise classes (some more than once a week) and one gym session. Its my wind down from work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not sure why it wouldn't be ok.

I primarily cycle now, but I discovered my passion for my bike while I was doing a lot of other various exercises. Even if you do ultimately find a discipline you're most passionate about, it is a good idea to cross train regularly with something else to avoid injury and over-use and work different muscles.

I wish I was a runner, but I loath it...but it's such a complimentary thing to do with cycling and it's highly portable...I just loath the hell out of it though. My cross training is namely lifting and some rock climbing.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The only concern I have is if you want to start all of this at once. You say you've only been walking and biking. It's a huge jump from there to the program you outlined. I suggest that you add one activity, do it for a month, then add one more, etc. In fact, i would suggest that you add at least 2 days of strength training first, it's really the foundation of all other fitness. Then add jogging, zumba, etc. later.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Yep nothing wrong with doing different exercises. I incorporate cycle classes, jogging, elliptical, weights and kettlebell DVD exercises. Keeps me from tiring out on any one thing.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I have been strength training 2-3 days a week, boxing 2-3 days a week and swimming 1-2 days a week lately. Depends on the week and what I feel like doing most that gets done more. Swimming took over for a little while as I trained for an 1.2 mile open water swim, but that is over, so swimming will be down to 1 day a week most likely. I get bored when I go to the gym and strength train by myself everyday. That was why I added a boxing class... variety keeps me motivated.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Sure
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Of course it's OK - just build up steadily.
    Try everything.