I need ideas on what to eat before a workout.

Options
2bassets
2bassets Posts: 193 Member
edited September 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I will be going to early morning classes for the next 8 weeks and need something fast and healthy to eat to give me energy for the classes. Would a protein shake be a good thing to drink on the way to class? I have bananas for this week. Class is at 6:00 AM and I plan on getting up at 5:30. It takes me 15 minutes to get to class. I really don't want to get up any earlier.

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your taste preferences. I like savory breakfasts so I'd be more inclined to make a turkey and cheese sandwich. You could also do -

toast and peanut butter
    protein bar and a piece of fruit
    left over pizza

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for energy for your workout then go for easy/quick to digest carbs not protein.

Personally I wouldn't eat anything before a workout at that time - you have plenty of energy onboard already unless you are going hard for two hours.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you are looking for energy for your workout then go for easy/quick to digest carbs not protein.

Personally I wouldn't eat anything before a workout at that time - you have plenty of energy onboard already unless you are going hard for two hours.

At 5:30 AM, I would do pre-workout and then that is it. If it was later in the day, I would shoot for carbs before working out. I often eat fruit before a workout.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You can pop a few of these in your mouth before you leave the house http://ohsheglows.com/2012/03/28/dark-chocolate-cherry-energy-bites-a-book-review/ I used to have a few of those before I go to a morning cycling class and I too, had to get up super early.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I need to eat before a workout or my early-morning hunger distracts me. I'm always hungrier in the morning for some reason. Then I don't eat dinner until 8:30 or 9 for some reason.

Find what works for you. I think this is the fun part. Know what you ate and note what your performance was. I do like Women's Best pre-workout.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Toast or a banana might work, or try it fasted?
  • heveliusz
    heveliusz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Coffee and you can grab banana. Then have good breakfast / protein shake after workout.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I do workouts at 5:30. I usually eat a banana and half a Pure Protein bar and chug some coffee on my way to class, and I'm good. Sometimes a banana and a piece of toast with a tablespoon of PB2.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I get to the gym between 5:30-5:45 am( waking up at 5:15-5:30). I dont like the feeling of the food swishing around in my tummy. So I do it fasted, no food.

On Saturday I get to the gym at about 830-900am, I make sure that I eat something much earlier like 730 or so. and its usually a slice of toast with PB, banana or 1/2 protein bar
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Dried mangos and some water. Pure carbs and very light in your stomach for such an early workout.