Being in college and trying to lose weight

Options
Over a year ago, I successfully lost 30 pounds and was in a good place. I started school though and didn't have much time to workout and sometimes had no time meal prep so fast food it was.

I could use some motivation, a kick in the butt. I graduate from my ultrasound program this December and I would like to lose at least 15 pounds by then.

Can I do it?

Replies

• Bubbaistrying
    Bubbaistrying Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do this! :)
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You WILL
  • Yoyoghurt
    Yoyoghurt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You can do it. And really you don't need much time for meal prep at all. You don't need fancy meals, you need a moderate amount of healthy food.
    You must weigh your food and log it in mfp every single day. Weigh yourself regularly and log that too.
    Create good habits now that will serve you well in the future and allow you to do all the things you may want to do in your life. Be careful who you are comparing yourself with and modelling yourself on and choose wisely.
    Also amend your goal to not just lose the weight but to keep it off in the future.
    Try getting 2 food containers to keep in your bag: 1 quite small one with food that does not go off eg mix of plain nuts, some dried fruit and seeds. Not the choc or yoghurt coated kind and avoid anything salted. Food is lovely in its natural state. But weigh and log it so you know the cal/kg.
    The other container can be for a sandwich, small piece of fruit. Drink water.
    Lose the fast food habit. And don't blame the weight gain on not being able to workout. Build in some other activities eg going for a walk with a friend (assuming this is a safe activity where you live).
    Just balance the calories in and calories out.
    Yes you can do it. Weigh and log!
  • itsyeseniaaaaaa
    itsyeseniaaaaaa Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips and motivation! Will definitely keep that in mind and start making those changes!!!
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I went back to college. I meal prep but only make simple food (the food police aren't looking over my shoulder). It doesn't take much time once you find several things you are willing to eat.

My staples since I don't have time to cook:
    - Make salads to last about 3 days. Takes about 10 minutes. It would take longer than that to drive to McDonald's,
    - Instant oatmeal -- I add almonds and apple.
    - Amy's brand canned soups (in stores plus on Amazon)
    - Silk Protein Nutmilk - 1 cup has 10 grams of protein

I also cook a bag of dried lentils in a large soup pot and let them simmer while I read/work on the computer. One cup = 18 grams of protein. I let them sit for an hour or two, then drain and measure 1-2 cups in plastic Ziploc bags and freeze. Sometimes I add carrots, onions, or other veggies while the lentils cook. I add spice like McCormick's Perfect Pinch (the Mexican is my favorite). It does not take a lot of time to boil a soup pot of beans. My one problem is I forget they're on the stove so I use a timer.

You can find your own versions of easy food you are willing to eat. Pack a sandwich and fruit to take to class.
  • CrystalConsults
    CrystalConsults Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on being in school and close to grad! That's quite an accomplishment!
    I echo what the others have said about making meals super simple! I tend to eat the same things over and over. Right now, I'm on a whole wheat pita and sliced turkey with mustard kick. I always have fruit on hand and bunch of ready to go veg in fridge.
    And, I absolutely log everything before I eat. But since I eat the same thing a lot there that copy to today feature on MFP that makes logging so easy.
    Also, look for, and I promise you will find, OTMs. (That's opportunities to move.) Make a game of it!
    You can totally do this!
  • explodingmango
    explodingmango Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do this!!

I'm a student too, and I actually have more success during school than on the weekends and during breaks, because school doesn't give me many opportunities to boredom-eat. My trick for eating healthy when I don't have much time to cook is using some time in my evenings and weekends to make meals I can just grab on the way out the door. It's one of those stock tips, sure, and as such it is definitely easier said than done when trying to build the habit, but it does work once you get it all worked out.

So, congratulations on your upcoming graduation, and good luck making your goal - not that you should need much luck, because you can totally do this!