Low Carb Vegan Options?

Options
I've recently been eating vegan and slowly trying to transition fully but I'm also trying to lose weight. But I've noticed a lot of the meal recipes I've found are very high in carbs. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Many vegans and vegetarians eat high(er) carb and still lose weight. Is there a medical reason for low carb? Look for calorie cutting ideas for weight loss. You don't have to low carb.

Look for low carb groups. They would have some ideas (this is going to be very restrictive).
  • HappyVeganKitty
    HappyVeganKitty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    blog.fatfreevegan.com has some awesome sauces and salads that are veggie based. the cauliflower cheese sauce is 30cals a portion.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegan diets can tend to be higher carbohydrate and unless you have a medical issue that requires you to limit carbohydrates, that's okay. A calorie deficit is what will create weight loss. That said, if you want fewer carbohydrates, you can always alter recipes to make them higher in fat or protein, depending on your preferences.
  • rbereket
    rbereket Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! You've been very helpful!
  • angesmith08
    angesmith08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising, try to eat the bulk of your carbs for breakfast and 45 mn to 1 hour before workout. Try to protein load your meals with tofu, seeds, nuts, and vegan meatless options. I like the Gardein brad to make tacos, morning scrambles, chicken stir fry etc. Go to my Instagram @theangesmith to see what the meals look like. I hope this helps.

Angela
  • ThatFreakinNinja
    ThatFreakinNinja Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to eat in moderation you are in transition to veganism and sometimes it can be overwhelming you can eat high carb (lots of legumes ,fruit ,veggies) stay away from the rice, sugar, bread and flour products (like pasta) . (These tend to make you feel heavy and tired and bloated ) And higher protein like tofu tempeh nuts and seeds. do lots of cardio that way you'll be able to lose the weight and transition fully to veganism. But veganism can be overwhelming try to slowly take out foods and if you'd like look into IIFYM ( if it fits your macros) and also plan your meals ahead of time so you don't feel as tempted to eat something that is full in carbs and not vegan.
    Hope this helps good luck.
  • lmboore
    lmboore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look up Dr. McDougall (www.drmcdougall.com) and be sure to check out the success stories - they're fantastic! I can personally attest to the effectiveness of following a high carb, whole food plant based diet - not only in weight loss but in overall health. Best of luck to you!