Overweight single mom

Options
My name is Stacey and I'm new to the community. I have had a lot of health issues come up because of my weight and I'm trying to get rid of it so I can get healthy again. I'm 42 now so I know I'm working against the clock. Any advice or help that anyone has found works for will power or to stop snacking is well appreciated. If there's anyone Maryland area that could use a diet buddy let me know too. I could use a lot of encouragement.

Replies

• Jbuscig
    Jbuscig Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 40, a single mom and from MD. I moved to NC 2 years ago. I lost 20 lbs this summer. Health consciuous meals, low sodium, little to no sugar other than natural sugars like fruit. Whole wheat carbs, portion control(your fist is a good measure for portion), 64 oz of water a day, 6 meals a day... 3 healthy snacks(i usually do a handful of nuts and cup of fruit). Breakfast lunch and dinner.
    It wasn't always easy and I wasnt always able to stick with it but I was determined to change my lifestyle and eating habits. Now I don't see food the same as I did before. It's much easier to eat healthy
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Health starts with eating healthily, and eating healthily starts with thinking healthily. Don't let age be an excuse. I was 43 when I joined MFP and I lost 50 pounds in a year. I have kept them off for three years now, by not relying on willpower, but instead develop sustainable habits. One of my personal, effective habits, is eating at meals and only at meals.

I keep aquiring true knowledge and busting myths, and scrutinize my assumptions. Weight management is simple, a numbers game, so you don't have to "try" to lose weight - you eat less, and you lose weight. But eating less isn't always easy (eating feels good, food is everywhere), so we have to adjust our attitudes and really adopting the mndset that "enough is enough" and stopping the hungry, frantic quest for more, faster, cheaper, which is really just ruining our mental as well as physical health.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Single mom to 3 here and I've lost 36lbs. I log all my food, weighing it on a food scale, and eat within my calorie allowance to lose 1lb per week. I exercise as well, for my health and mentally helps me, but is not needed to lose weight. I eat what I want, just smaller portions. I have set mini goals along my way and have challenged myself with jogging and signed up for many 5k races to improve my time and then have a 4mi run soon and next is a 10k.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    SCiscell wrote: »
    My name is Stacey and I'm new to the community. I have had a lot of health issues come up because of my weight and I'm trying to get rid of it so I can get healthy again. I'm 42 now so I know I'm working against the clock. Any advice or help that anyone has found works for will power or to stop snacking is well appreciated. If there's anyone Maryland area that could use a diet buddy let me know too. I could use a lot of encouragement.

Ouch! I agree with @kommodevaran do not let age become another excuse. I started C25k last August and ran my first 5k a week after my 41st birthday in October 2016. Yesterday I ran 10k, admittedly with a 15 minute break in the middle but still not bad for someone who's never run more than 5.
    Jbuscig wrote: »
    It wasn't always easy and I wasnt always able to stick with it but I was determined to change my lifestyle and eating habits. Now I don't see food the same as I did before. It's much easier to eat healthy

I also personally agree with this statement from @Jbuscig my tastes are completely different than they were when I started.

Have you tried using fruit and nuts as a snack? Are your main meals nutritionally dense and varied? Are you drinking plenty of water? Can you get out for a walk or do a puzzle when cravings hit to try and take your mind off of them?

You have to want to change for you and you will have to take accountability. It's not always easy, it does take time and sometimes you will fall down but get up, dust yourself off and get back at it. You're worth it!

Best of luck :)
  • buellkyleej
    buellkyleej Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Im not a single mom (anymore) but mom of 2... aiming to lose 50lbs feel free to add me.