Is hummus / houmous bad for you?

Options
jordanblakejpgr
jordanblakejpgr Posts: 19 Member
edited September 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I often like to use houmous on sandwiches or as a dip with lots of meals, about 80g a time.

Is hummus a bad choice ? I actually use it instead of mayonnaise for a sandwich, may seem odd!!??

These ones are what I use most:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=281121951

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=296233346

Thanks

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel hummus is bad for you? If you like it and it fits your calories and other goals it is fine.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What do you think could be harmful about it?
  • twinklepies
    twinklepies Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's only bad for you if you have an allergy or the food has gone off.
  • jordanblakejpgr
    Options

I am just curious in terms of ingredients used - With peanut butter I try and look for a palm oil free variety where I can - or am I being silly?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    My homemade version has garlic, chickpeas, tehina, lemon juice salt, cayenne, olive oil, and whatever fresh herbs I've got lying around. Sometimes I'll add some grated carrot.
  • chaosbutterfly
    chaosbutterfly Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I am just curious in terms of ingredients used - With peanut butter I try and look for a palm oil free variety where I can - or am I being silly?

I think you're being a little silly.
    If you feel fine eating it and it's not messing with your weight or health, then why shouldn't you eat it lol.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I don't think you are being silly. I prefer to avoid palm oil too. I've read bad things about the impact on the environment and I try to keep saturated fats down. I make my own hummus and use extra virgin olive oil. It's crazy how expensive store bought hummus is. Such a rip off for something that is mostly beans.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Neither of those have palm oil.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hummus is super easy to make. If you are concerned about ingredients just make your own and use what you prefer.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Also keep in mind that the servings are actually quite small for hummus. Most of the "Original" hummus varieties I've tried have about 26-28g for a serving. 80g is about 3x for a serving of hummus, which can be a little higher in calories (close to about 240-250 calories, more for "flavored" hummus).

I'm not saying that hummus is bad (I have it pretty much every day!), just keep an eye on portion sizes.

Edited for spelling.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I think hummus is a great healthy food, as long as you don't eat the entire container in one sitting. Although my little grandson loves it and will just take a spoon and eat out of the tub. He can spare the calories. :)

I often make my own - even starting with the dried beans if I have time. Pretty basic recipe including chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, tahini and lemon juice. If I want to spice it up I add a little cayenne pepper.

If I'm buying it from the store I try to stick with brands that have limited ingredients. I used to like Sabra but realized it contains soy, which I can't have. My current favorite is Tribe either the Sweet Red Pepper or Mediterranean Style. It has both olive and canola oil, but no soy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I don't know that I've ever seen either humus or peanut butter with palm oil. For peanut butter though I always just buy 100% natural peanut butter...peanuts and some salt. Most of the humus I've seen off the shelf is sunflower oil.
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Humus is great, love as dip or in sandwiches. Caramelized onion, yum. In UK most PB has palm oil, even what you'd think is healthier brand has ethical palm oil?! My husband's GP said to avoid palm oil for his cholesterol, luckily I don't like PB.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Yes. Cuz it tastes like *kitten*.
  • jordanblakejpgr
    Options
    canarysal wrote: »
    Humus is great, love as dip or in sandwiches. Caramelized onion, yum. In UK most PB has palm oil, even what you'd think is healthier brand has ethical palm oil?! My husband's GP said to avoid palm oil for his cholesterol, luckily I don't like PB.

I think Meridion Peanut Putter is fantastic but expensive - also MyProtein sell a massive tub on Amazon for a low price with nothing added .