Gain when you stop eating at deficit?

Options
So I have read a lot that if you are in an extreme calorie deficit then once you go back to normal eating at maintenance you can gain a lot of weight back. Is there any truth to this? Surely at deficit you would lose and then when you go onto maintenance calories you should just maintain?! I have about 20lbs to lose am eating 1200 calories a day but worried I may gain weight when I stop, should I increase calorie amount? Thank you

Replies

• Rashawnab
    Rashawnab Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't think it works like that. Maintanence calorie levels maintain. I can maybe see water weight from extra food and sodium but that should balance out over a few days.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's best to not be in an "extreme calorie deficit." With 20 lbs to lose you should shoot for .5 -1 lb per week. This is more sustainable and helps you lose more fat than muscle.
  • luce_de_luce
    luce_de_luce Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you go back to eating at maintenance for your previous weight instead of your goal weight. That would make sense.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Increase your calories slowly. Add 100 or so a week until you stabilize at goal.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    By definition if you're eating at maintenance levels then you'll maintain your weight. If you're not maintaining then you're in a surplus (although water retention is possible). If you've lost weight than your maintenance calories will be lower than what they were before. I believe that it is possible with an extreme calorie deficit for an extended period of time for this level to be lower than expected at the same weight, height, age and activity level due to some degree of metabolic change but this is unlikely. A good strategy when transitioning to maintenance is to build back up slowly to where you theoretically should be over a month or so and not to change your diet dramatically during this period.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Research does show that people who have lost weight tend to have lower TDEE than people of stable weight. However, the difference is not some mystical metabolism. For one, as you lose weight your calorie needs obviously drop, but there is also a reduction in NEAT calories, which is what you get from general activity. People who have worked under deficits for months and months may be more inclined to be lethargic.

That being said, lose the 20 pounds first, then worry about maintenance. By definition, it's what you need to net to maintain, so it may take some trial and error to figure out the right level for you.

Good luck
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can and does happen. When you stop eating at deficit, and go back to maintenance, your body is refueling glycogen stores, which carries weight, plus carries extra water weight with it. That slight gain doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, or eating more than maintenance. It means you're human.