ChiRunning/proper form running clinic. Waste of time?

Options
I saw a flyer for this on the bulletin board at my local coffee shop and was intrigued. The design of the flyer had sort of a new age/space opera kinda of tone that was a bit odd, but it got my attention nonetheless. Has anyone ever tried anything like this before and found it to be beneficial to their running?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Complete waste of time, IMO. There are some things you can do to improve your form, but changing everything about it is not a good thing.

I highly recommend the book "Your Best Stride -How to Optimize Your Natural Running Form to Run Easier, Farther, and Faster–With Fewer Injuries" by Jonathan Beverly. It breaks down all the BS you hear from the latest and greatest 'running gurus'.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think there is research to support the notion that trying to change your stride completely is a route to injury. I think that a runner's stride may change as they get stronger/faster/lighter, but it's more of a natural evolution.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I think the whole chi running/pose method is very good and helpful. I think a lot of people develop injuries because they have poor running form and efficiency.
    There is a lot of merit to a long time runner trying to drastically and quickly change their stride, sometimes things are best left alone, but for the casual person to pick up tips, and improve their stride, I see no down side.
  • matti422
    matti422 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I got an impromptu chi running clinic once and didn't realize it until after. I with with a coach now, and almost all of the form advice she gives me was also taught by chi running. It sounds gimmick-y, but is honestly really helpful.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Chi running itself is decent running form with a bit of a cultist wrap around it.

Drastic change has the potential to increase injury risk, but there is probably something you can take from the session to think about.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    If you're already running long miles comfortably and injury free, no need to really do it. At most, you can google Chi running to see what it's all about but chances are it'll just end up giving you advice you don't need. It's a good foundation but it's not something that many people can't figure out on their own.

The biggest complaint from people who have already been running and then try to take a 'technical' running class (chi, pose, etc.) is that it messes with their heads and they can no longer run without overthinking things.

Once you see the complicated multi-point posture alignment that Chi running recommends before you even think about taking your first step, you might decide that it's something you don't care to do. It's not that it's bad advice, it's just very mechanical and technical.

It also has the potential to increase your odds for injury since it might end up changing your stride. If you do end up taking the class, reduce your mileage until you get used to the new form and then gradually increase back to your norm once adjusted.