Can you hit a plateau as soon as you start a diet?

Options
Can you plateau as soon as you start a diet? 5 weeks on and still gaining, loosing and gaining the same few pounds.

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Depends. How over are you? Also if you are on a 5 week program and you've basically achieved nothing, that indicates either lack of activity, poor nutrition, or a little of both.

Relying soley on calorie counting is fruitless I find. The type of calories you take in plus how much you work out all affect a good weight loss program.
  • missphoenix
    Options
    Depends. How over are you? Also if you are on a 5 week program and you've basically achieved nothing, that indicates either lack of activity, poor nutrition, or a little of both.

Relying soley on calorie counting is fruitless I find. The type of calories you take in plus how much you work out all affect a good weight loss program.

Im on week 6 of the C25K running program so very active at the moment, training at least 3 times a week, also walking and swimming too.
  • Stormyyy
    Stormyyy Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have been the same for 9 weeks now although before i joined i lost over a stone due to stress more than anything else and now i'm trying damn hard, going swimming 3 times a week, jogging twice a week with strength training added in and i cnt lose a poundor if i do it goes bk on the following week....I've been reading on here alot and for just over a week i've been eating more calories to try jump start my motabolism and if nothing else, im more fuller and although i havent lost anything i also havent gained..Maybe u just have to mix things up...Goodluck! :)
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Well in January i started slim fast, I was on that for 10 weeks. I lost 1 stone and a half whilst been on slimfast! I was constantly excercising tho! Anyway, when I finished slim fast middle of march, I was on a plateau untill the end of May! I was stuck on 14stone 10lbs, for 9 weeks. I dont know why?! I was excercising, and watching what I was eating and my portion control.

Just stick to what your doing, and your weight loss will adjust in no time! =)
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, your food intake is a little erratic, sometimes over, sometimes under. I'd try to keep that balanced for at least a couple of weeks, so your body can adjust. Perhaps your metabolism is a little..confused?
  • Stormyyy
    Options

I disagree with this. Sorry.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Check your settings. When I first started, I set myself on sedentary. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing at 1200 calories. I didn't realize it would make a HUGE difference.

Then, I found this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

I was set at sedentary, but was working out 3-4 days a week for an hour - which meant I was really ACTIVE. Once I re-set myself for active AND started eating my exercise calories, the weight started coming off.

Here's a paraphrase:

-1200 calories is a generic number. It's not right for everyone. It's a baseline minimum given out as a floor by MFP based on prior research by the medical community. NOT everyone will need a minimum of 1200, very small people can go under, and bigger people need more.
    If you have a desk job, and do very little walking throughout the day and don't really perform any sports or physical activities, then you are sedentary.

If you do some walking every day (or at least 4 days a week) or other light activity FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES cumulative at least 4 times a week, you are lightly active. C25K QUALIFIES - THIS IS YOU!

If you do 60 minutes of light activity 5 days a week or do some kind of sport that requires walking or light jogging (say swimming or mailman or warehouse employee) then you are active.

If you do a physically demanding activity (one that makes you sweat) for 4 days a week or more and for more than 1 hour a day, you are very active (like a coach that runs drills or you play volleyball).

When in doubt, go down 1 level, you'd rather burn more than you think than less.

~ ~ ~

Also...

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit

With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)

With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)

With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week) ********** You've got less 25 lbs to lose, so you may want to start here.

and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I also sneaked a peak at your diary and noticed that your daily goals are all over the place. You will definitely start to lose if you follow MFP suggested daily goal. I am living proof that it can be done:bigsmile:
  • missphoenix
    Options
    Check your settings. When I first started, I set myself on sedentary. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing at 1200 calories. I didn't realize it would make a HUGE difference.

Then, I found this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

I was set at sedentary, but was working out 3-4 days a week for an hour - which meant I was really ACTIVE. Once I re-set myself for active AND started eating my exercise calories, the weight started coming off.

Here's a paraphrase:

-1200 calories is a generic number. It's not right for everyone. It's a baseline minimum given out as a floor by MFP based on prior research by the medical community. NOT everyone will need a minimum of 1200, very small people can go under, and bigger people need more.
    If you have a desk job, and do very little walking throughout the day and don't really perform any sports or physical activities, then you are sedentary.

If you do some walking every day (or at least 4 days a week) or other light activity FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES cumulative at least 4 times a week, you are lightly active. C25K QUALIFIES - THIS IS YOU!

If you do 60 minutes of light activity 5 days a week or do some kind of sport that requires walking or light jogging (say swimming or mailman or warehouse employee) then you are active.

If you do a physically demanding activity (one that makes you sweat) for 4 days a week or more and for more than 1 hour a day, you are very active (like a coach that runs drills or you play volleyball).

When in doubt, go down 1 level, you'd rather burn more than you think than less.

~ ~ ~

Also...

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit

With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)

With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)

With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week) ********** You've got less 25 lbs to lose, so you may want to start here.

and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

Thank you very useful, will re-set to lightly active!
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

I disagree with this. Sorry.

Me too. You can still lose weight by just simply tracking your calorie intake. I do agree it has a lot to do with what calories your consuming. Like good calories from veggies vs the bad one from pizza.

To OP, eat clean (more veggies!) and less processed foods and you should see a huge change.
  • missphoenix
    Options
    I also sneaked a peak at your diary and noticed that your daily goals are all over the place. You will definitely start to lose if you follow MFP suggested daily goal. I am living proof that it can be done:bigsmile:

I do stick to the program, I dont eat all my exercise calories though, I used to eat them all and still wasnt loosing weight.
  • missphoenix
    Options
    My daily goal is 1200 + exercise, what do you mean about my own daily goals?
  • missphoenix
    Options

Here's a paraphrase:

~ ~ ~

Also...

Just changed by settings to 'lightly active' it gave me the same goal of 1200
  • Stormyyy
    Options
    Yeah i did the same when there was no change and as i have been active these last 9 weeks and mfp gave me 50 or 80 calories extra (sorry cnt remember exactly it wasnt worth remembering lol)....I assumed it was because i am small in height at 5 ft but not sure. ....I feel fitter and more toned and this is probably the reason i keep going. The scales will move in the right direction before moving in the wrong one as long as we know we are doing things right. Dnt worry about it which i kno is hard as i've had a few hissy fits in my house over my scales even to the extent of accusing people of messing with them lol....Stay with it! :)
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Also, try monitoring your sodium.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I guess we're all different. When I just rely on calorie counting, I can get down to my plateau weight and then I stop, no matter how little I eat. It was only through a constant exercise program that I began losing more and getting under the plateau weight.

I know a few people like that.

Good luck
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

Here's a paraphrase:

~ ~ ~

Also...

Just changed by settings to 'lightly active' it gave me the same goal of 1200

Now change your weight loss to 1/2 lb per week and you'll see a difference. Because you've got less than 25 lbs to lose, you need to shoot for lower weight loss per week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Can you plateau as soon as you start a diet? 5 weeks on and still gaining, loosing and gaining the same few pounds.
    A plateau in terms of weight loss it 6-8 weeks of no weight loss or gain while staying CONSISTENT.
  • wwperry
    wwperry Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had the same exact problem my 2nd month in. Losing/Gaining the same 2 to 3 lbs each week. I was sticking to my calories and exercising just a little. Not sure who said it 1st but the defininition of insanity (heard from Dr. Phil) ... " doing exactly the same thing but expecting different results" .. or something like that.
    So... even though I was sticking with my calories...I decided to look at WHAT I was eating.

* I cut out pre-packaged frozen diet meals but maybe have one 1/wk if in a crunch.
    * Cut out fast food. I ate the salads or the lowest cal they had but decided to cut it all together.
    * I had been drinking slimfast every morning for convenience. Slimfast is very high in carbs so I cut it and started eating almonds, yogurt and hard boiled egg.
    * I also cut down significantly on bread, pasta and white potatoes. Not completely cut out but down significantly.
    * Increased my water and cut way down on diet drinks.
    * I started doing a circuit training with weights (JMs Ripped in 30) - which I think is where my down in inches is coming from.
    * ... and started running 5 to 6 days/week. I know not everyone can do this much exercising but I have become addicted and love it!

My weight finally started going down... and quickly. I feel awesome and know these changes have a lot to do with it.
    SO... I know this was very long winded but my advice is to look thru your food and exercise diary closely. Are you really eatting right? Or it could even be that your not eatting enough.
    Good luck and please keep us posted it you break the plateau.