120 lbs to lose- how to avoid excess skin??

I started my journey 3 weeks ago and I'm down 13 lbs. I have about 120 lbs total to lose. Anyone have advice on avoiding too much excess skin?

Replies

• getoffin1year
    getoffin1year Posts: 87 Member
    The best thing you can do is drink lots of water daily (which helps diets in a plethora of other ways) and weight training. Your skin is attached to fat now, when thats gone theres nothing for skin to hang on to. Building muscle can at least reduce the appearance of loose skin.

I had a friend that lost a lot and had a pretty large tummy apron. Insurance covered a huge chunk of her tummy tuck because her skin there would get irritated a lot.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    kljfo wrote: »
    I don't know much about this at all, but it's probably worth investing in a good body moisturiser - it doesn't have to be expensive even something like Nivea Q10 skin firming moisturiser should help to keep the skin elasticity up. maybe look at good vitamin pills that also help boost skin elasticity.

These things might not be complete solutions but they should surely help :-)

Agree also skin brushing/exfoliating, not losing too quickly, exercising, moisturising, drinking lots of water etc. I think the worse of skin sagging is due to losing far too quickly throughout the diet. Plateauing on a diet for a few weeks can be a good thing, it allows the body to recalibrate and find a new normal, before more weight loss follows. If skin sagging is a big concern, maybe after every 28lbs lost, you up your calories to maintain for 2/3 weeks before reducing them again and going back to dieting.

The worst skin sagging you see is on people who have had weight loss surgery who then lose huge amounts in a matter of weeks. I don't think skin sagging is as bad as those on diets who after the initial quick weight loss go on to lose a steady 2-3 lbs a week.

But maybe others will think differently?

Good luck tho! :-)
    Rate of loss almost doesn't matter. I have a client right now who's lost 60lbs and it's been since January and she's already concerned with another 50lbs to lose and already a lot of loose skin on her abdominal area.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    The best thing you can do is drink lots of water daily (which helps diets in a plethora of other ways) and weight training. Your skin is attached to fat now, when thats gone theres nothing for skin to hang on to. Building muscle can at least reduce the appearance of loose skin.

I had a friend that lost a lot and had a pretty large tummy apron. Insurance covered a huge chunk of her tummy tuck because her skin there would get irritated a lot.
    You don't get rid of fat cells and they are always "attached" to the skin. Loose skin happens because it's no longer being expanded.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    As everyone has said here. Unfortunately the skin is there to stay. Just tuck it in and go on.
  • Mads7878
    Mads7878 Posts: 33 Member
    Im going to add my 2c worth. Vitamin C everyday 1000mg or more, zinc cream rub it in bad areas, as well as a very good moisturizer, rosehip oil, avocado oil, Vitamin E internally and externally on bad areas, most importantly do give up on the skin. If all the guys knew what their girlfriends faces looked like with without moisturiser they would shut up yeah well you get the idea no offense. Honestly good luck xx
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!