How often do you do Zumba?

Options
Hi, I am a mom of 3 and last year I counted calories and did one hour of Zumba using Xbox Kinect system everyday, the results were amazing as I lost 8 kilos, I pulled a muscle due to a strong cough and could not exercise for a while, that did it for me and I just stopped both, my question is; as I am trying to settle back into my Zumba routine (trying dvds this time around) I was reading conflicted opinions, some people say you should not do it everyday as it is too strenuous...and better be done 3-4 days a week... any experts who can weigh in on this? Thank you

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think there's any muscle recovery or anything after doing Zumba - it'd be no different than walking or running daily. I've taken a few Zumba classes - I couldn't imagine any harm in doing it daily.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Whether it's reasonable for you to do something like Zumba every day is going to depend on factors such as how intensely you're doing it, how long you do it, what other forms of exercise you're doing (if any), and your current fitness level. If you're healthy, and what you're doing is mostly light or moderate cardio, it's probably safe to do every day. If it's really intense cardio, you might want to do it less often. If there is a lot of strength work (e.g. lots of deep squats) you might want to give your muscles 48 hours to recover between sessions.

You can vary the intensity of what you're doing. You might do a tougher video or workout one day, and then do an easier one the next, or take a walk instead of doing Zumba. You could use how you are feeling as a guide, if you do it one day, and you're feeling ready to go the next day, go for it. You may want to reduce frequency and/or intensity if you find yourself really dragging the next day, or if over time you start feeling tired and/or sore a lot (without explanation). The other thing to watch out for would be joint soreness, which might be a sign you need to back off (see your doctor if this starts to be an issue).
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    This really depends on how hard your Zumba sessions are. I've never done the Xbox or DVD ones, but I've had a lot of different instructors over the years. The low-impact, moderately aerobic classes I'd have no problem doing every day. However, there's one instructor at my gym whose classes are more like boot camp with a bit of salsa thrown in. Lots of squats, lunges, pushups, jumps, etc. Her classes were intense enough to interfere with my recovery from lifting workouts, and I had to sit out the "toning" stuff or just not go.

I'd listen to your body. If you're extremely sore or there's pain, you need to back off and let your body adapt, or you need to choose low-impact sessions. If it's an easy-to-moderate workout and you're feeling fine the next day, every day is fine. Generally, I'd guess the DVDs would probably be everyday workout material. Still, it's always a good idea to build up to it if you're coming off an injury and haven't worked out in a while - start with every other day for a couple of weeks, then try every day.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I've done Zumba three or four times a week. Like running, I like to give my joints a little bit of a break between workouts. A lot of the classes I've taken involve jumping around. So on my off days, I tend to go for hour long walks or a bike ride. It probably depends on your level of fitness. If you haven't been doing it for a while, start with three times a week, then see whether you can build up to six. I'm one of those "day of rest" folks, so I'd do one day a week without it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I've never done Zumba but from what I've seen it's just cardio? I wouldn't think you need to recover from that for a day in between. Letting your body rest for a day is more for strength training. I say do it every day if you want.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba 5 times a week. I do classes with different instructors so I get great variety. I'd put my intensity somewhere between walking and running. It's a great cardio workout and tons of fun. Honestly, I don't specifically do it for the calorie burn. I just feel so much better being more active and Zumba does it for me.
  • achagpar
    achagpar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba five days a week too... while some say it's bad for your knees to do that much, I love it!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    achagpar wrote: »
    I do Zumba five days a week too... while some say it's bad for your knees to do that much, I love it!

How is it bad for your knees. If that is the case most exercises would be bad.
  • takobutt
    takobutt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    never tried it
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I did it once. Hated it. The male instructor came up behind me grinding. It was obvious I was uncomfortable. Never went back.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    cenafan wrote: »
    I did it once. Hated it. The male instructor came up behind me grinding. It was obvious I was uncomfortable. Never went back.

:o. I don't blame you! I can't even imagine something like that happening in ANY workout class. How inappropriate!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Never. You couldn't pay me to.
  • rula_bushnaq
    rula_bushnaq Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, very helpful, guess I will stick to day in day out at first just to settle back into the habit and maybe try different intensity dvds, I used to work really hard before and finish off really sweaty, now I think it takes time to go back and as most of you said; listening to your body is key... thanks
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

how does this get a 'woo' ?? OP asked how often people Zumba and she answered the question!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I've only done it once.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

how does this get a 'woo' ?? OP asked how often people Zumba and she answered the question!

Maybe it's a positive "woohoo!" woo... Haha.
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    achagpar wrote: »

How is it bad for your knees. If that is the case most exercises would be bad.

Some classes are high impact (at my gyms, anyway, depending on the instructor) and I definitely can't do that every day. I could absolutely do the low-impact classes 7 days a week, though.
    Aside from the up-and-down jumping impact, some classes/instructors/move sequences put a lot of lateral strain on the knees, and that can be hard on people with joint issues (spins and chasse-like sideways work). It also depends on the floor - thankfully most of the zumba classes at my gym are taught on wooden floors, but I have done it on tile and my knees were a little sore after.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes8
    Options
    I wouldn't think there's any muscle recovery or anything after doing Zumba - it'd be no different than walking or running daily. I've taken a few Zumba classes - I couldn't imagine any harm in doing it daily.

It might be more cardio than anything, but there is DEFINITELY muscle recovery happening after Zumba. Granted there are varying levels of Zumba out there, but even in the easier classes I've taken, I still spend an hour doing squats, lunges, and jumps.

Regardless, everyone is different. Some people can run every day, but for other people it's too hard on the body (I'm one of those people, as is one of my best friends who runs marathons and even she can't physically handle running every day). I work out almost every day, but I mix it up for my body's sake. I do high-impact/intense Zumba 3 times a week, and low-impact Zumba 0-1 times a week, but I also do strength training 2-3 times a week and yoga 1-2 times a week (like on my active rest day).

No matter what, you need to listen to your body. I LOVE my regular Zumba class and mentally could do it every day if the instructor offered it, but physically I know my body needs recovery time from it. There is a such thing as overtraining, so rest days are important; otherwise we aren't able to reap all of the benefits we deserve from working out.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Gosh, it's been over a year since I did Zumba. Maybe that will be my workout at lunch today since it's raining.

I would say listen to your body to tell you if you need a rest. If you are overly fatigued or sore, take a day off.
  • babyrover
    babyrover Posts: 51 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I do Zumba 3x's a week, Aqua Zumba 2x's a week and Hot Hula 1x a week. If it is a high intensity class there will be necessary recovery...lots of squats, lunges, jumps takes a toll. I find the Aqua Zumba to also be effective just in a different way. The resistance gives you a work out but the water allows it to be gentle on your joints! Hot Hula is great for an ab/hip/thigh work out!