How to reduce excess skin

Options
I have 5 stone to lose and am at the start of my journey. I would love to hear about any tips you may have to try and reduce excess skin whilst losing weight. All replies gratefully received. :-)

Replies

• Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You'll hear from most people here that there is no "fix" for this. You may not even have any loose skin when you're done. I hear strength training helps with, but most of all, time. Remember to moisturize, although there are very split opinions if that actually helps. A lot of people say you can choose if you'll be bothered by loose skin, or be bothered by being overweight. It's a choice in the end ^^
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I have around the same amount of weight to lose in total, I have lost half of it so far and have no loose skin as yet.

Whilst ultimately it is down to genetics, losing at a slower steady rate, strength training and ensuring you are getting adequate protein will help to maintain your muscle whilst you lose weight and can be a good preventative measure for loose skin.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Go look at your mum, how does her skin look?
    How old are you?
    Have you yoyo'd or is this your first rodeo?
    Do you do any strength training?
    Do you exfoliate and moisturise often?
    Do you randomly pray to the loose skin fairy's?

Honestly Hun its anyone's guess if you will have any lose skin. Luck of the draw.
    Oh and even if you notice some it can take time for the skin to shrink back so a few years after that loose skin might have disappeared of its own accord
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Surgery is the only way to "remove" excess skin.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Slow steady weight loss rather than fast
    Hydration
    Genetics
    All play a role. Wby not lose the weight firstand then worry about it.
  • locoloon
    locoloon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    At a weight loss goal of about 5st=70lbs, you maybe be on the borderline of having to worry about it or not depending on your height.

The skin renews itself over a longer time frame than it takes some of us to lose weight.
    So if you wind up with some at your goal weight be sure to maintain that weight a year or so before declaring it a problem, since it might "catch up" as skin elasticity is different person to person.

That said, lose it at a moderate rate, include toning exercises, eat healthy, and keep the fingers crossed.
  • Cw1666
    Cw1666 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats tinkerbellang83 on losing half your weight loss!
    Thank you to all who replied. Very helpful. There is clearly no fix and weight loss is indeed my priority. Moderate weight loss, regular exercise and toning is the way to go . I will just have to pray I have good genetics and that I complete my weight loss journey. Getting lots of inspiration from comments on mfp!
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get a small amount on my belly, and at current I'm around 11-13% bodyfat. I'd been chubby most of my life so basically we'll say my belly area was stretched out for a long time. My own plan is to start a bulk here relatively soon (within the next month or 2). Giving it both time, and building some underlying mass, I'm hoping will at least keep it to a minimum.

If not, it's a small price to pay for being a former fat guy!
  • Cw1666
    Cw1666 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comment. Sounds like a good approach