Slipping! Please help

I have been on this journey for 10 months now and have lost 35 pounds. The past couple weeks have been mentally draining and I have found myself giving in to food temptations quite often. I have put 3 pounds back on and find it really hard to motivate myself to go to the gym. Plus I now have a huge birthday cake in my fridge. Any support is appreciated. Also have any of you guys had this happen? Thanks

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    No reason to be all or nothing. Take a break. Long-term deficits are really stressful on the body and diet breaks (eating at maintenance) are recommended. If you're having trouble sticking to it and are becoming stressed, it is probably time to take a little break anyway.

Well done on the 35 pounds. I doubt you ate enough to gain three pounds of fat. I go up and down 2-4 pounds every week and I've been at maintenance for years.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    Well done on your 35lbs. You are already doing better than the majority of the population.

Here is a some advice. Use, it or dont.
    #1 You scale hates you
    #2 As a result it will lie to you. How you feel, how your clothes feel on you and your general health is a far better indication that you are on the right path.
    #3 You are going to have days where you fail. That is ok. It's not the end of the word and dont beat yourself up about it or worse go "well I failed today so I might as well give up". As long as you have more good days than bad days, you are doing well.
    #4 At some point you are going to plateau. This is normal. You body has specific weight happy places that it wants to hold to. Just hang in there, you will push through it. If it keeps on too long for your liking, try something new ito of your meal plan or exercise.
    DO NOT GIVE UP!!!
    #5 Always, and I mean ALWAYS remember why you started and what the benefits are for you.

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement! Those are 5 great points. I realize that it's my stress levels causing the anxiety. Maybe a break from cutting and going to maintenance for a while is just what I need.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    No reason to be all or nothing. Take a break. Long-term deficits are really stressful on the body and diet breaks (eating at maintenance) are recommended. If you're having trouble sticking to it and are becoming stressed, it is probably time to take a little break anyway.

Well done on the 35 pounds. I doubt you ate enough to gain three pounds of fat. I go up and down 2-4 pounds every week and I've been at maintenance for years.

Thanks a bunch. I think I just might take a break and go on maintenance for a while.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited September 2017
    The "slump" happens to everyone at least once. I recommend that you not beat yourself up and just try to figure out how to get out of your doldrums.

Some things that might help are to:
    1. change your way of eating (I like paleo / keto, but, it could be anything as long as it helps you to maintain a calorie deficit;
    2. make a detour on your way home and stop long enough to just walk around the block -- find something / some place that gives you peace (is there a rock garden, temple, labyrinth, cemetery with sculptures?)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Oh yeah, I have had many ups and downs along the way, it is normal as life has its ups and downs too.

If you feel like a break will help you then go for it. Just try not to completely throw caution to the wind and forget all the little things you have learned from the last 35 lbs. Don't want to end up back at square one!

If you decide to keep going: I find when I am struggling that pre-logging really helps me get back on track. I just have to force myself to pull my head out of the sand and do it. I find it so much more helpful to ask myself "is it worth it" that "was it worth it". Its hard not to let the guilt get to you after being off track, and that just compounds the issue.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I find it motivating to look back at my before and progress pics. It helps me remember where I started and how far I've come. I really DON'T want to GO BACK there, so I keep pushing ahead.

I would favor to keep weighing to make sure you stay on the maintenance track if that's important to you.