Self Esteem sucks

weezyxo
weezyxo Posts: 11 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
My weight over the past couple years has slowly crept up to a point where I have zero self confidence or self esteem. University life has gotten to me but I just started my second year and I'm hoping to stay on track this time. Also, all the weight I gain is mostly in my belly area, it's soooo annoying..

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    First of all--how much weight are you talking about? Second, it's not a good idea to tie confidence and self esteem to your looks. That doesn't mean that you should renounce your health, but many people find that they lose the weight and are still unhappy.
  • weezyxo
    First of all--how much weight are you talking about? Second, it's not a good idea to tie confidence and self esteem to your looks. That doesn't mean that you should renounce your health, but many people find that they lose the weight and are still unhappy.

Well in the last year I've gained 30lbs. I know it's not good to associate weight gain to my looks but it's hard not to
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    weezyxo wrote: »

Well in the last year I've gained 30lbs. I know it's not good to associate weight gain to my looks but it's hard not to

I agree with you, it was just the "0 self esteem" that rang a warning bell. Having 30lbs to lose is doable and you've come to the right place.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Set your MFP goal for a loss of 1 or 2 pounds a week. If you end up feeling fatigued you can always re-set your weekly loss goals for a slower rate of loss. And be patient: it's taken me 4 months to lose 24 pounds. A lot of my weight was in my stomach, and unfortunately the last thing to get skinnier was my stomach. A lot of people take starting weight and progress photos in their underwear every week or so in order to see their progress. I wish I'd done that! You see yourself every day and the changes are so subtle you might think you're not changing, but photos will help you see you are.

Try to re-set your sense of self. As you follow the MFP program, you can feel proud of yourself for being disciplined. And of course, your jeans will get looser and you'll have to buy new clothes!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Regular exercise does wonders for my state of mind. I often have to force myself to start, but am always glad I did.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Regular exercise does wonders for my state of mind. I often have to force myself to start, but am always glad I did.

Truth. The gym is my therapy.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Agreed.......the 30lbs that went on during your Freshman Year can come off. It might take awhile, but you put it on so you can take it off. And, that is not that much more than the infamous "Freshman 15", right?

I am suffering horribly in that I have not been to the gym in roughly six weeks due to a cyst (was removed four weeks ago....the previous two weeks were because of the location and hurt associated with the cyst). Anyway, the gym is my happy place. And I am missing it terribly. Hopefully two more weeks and I will be able to go.

Find your 'happy place'. It is amazing what a little bit of gym time can do for your psyche. Amazing stuff.

Just understand that you can not 'spot reduce' (generally speaking) and that you will loose the weight over time and that your "problem area" (aka, your belly) is very likely going to be the place from which the fat is going to resist leaving. That is how things generally work. We all store fat in a different places. When we loose body fat, that 'place' is the last place. Frustrating. But, maybe if you have the right expectations then it will not be too frustrating.

If you are interested in a weight training program, then take a spin within this web site. I know that there are lots of programs listed (for all levels). Generally speaking, I like to suggest Strong Curves as a beginning program. BUT.......it is up to you to find and to pick a program to follow. I just suggest that as a starting point (in your exploration for programs).

You can do this. Find a good nutritional program for you (that is 80% - at least - of everything) and a good training program. Then, put in the hard work and watch your body (and psyche) transform!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You need to work on your self esteem regardless of your weight or losing 30lbs won't make any difference.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2017
    Low self esteem is usually an underlying issue caused from something else deeper, but if losing weight will help you in this area, start today.. Once you set your mind straight on what you wanna to achieve, don't let anything stop you! Results from the accomplishments of your hard work will keep you motivated to keep going!

Do things along side your weight loss that make you happy, exercise is a great stress relief, it can make you stronger physically which can greatly affect how you feel emotionally and mentally. Start something and if you don't like it there are many other things that are sure to peak your interest.

• If I could do college over I would totally re-assess my eating habits. For some reason because of all the stress of deadlines, hard work, reading, female distractions, I decided to gain about 40#.
  • weezyxo
    Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!!
  • laurenelha21
    laurenelha21 Posts: 33 Member
    I'm going through the same thing!! My account won't let me message you and send you a friend request but definitely message me! :)
  • allangirl
    allangirl Posts: 56 Member
    I had my MFP goals set to lose 40lbs total and 1lb a week. I went over my calories every day. I was discouraged and felt like a failure. Then last week I changed goals and decided to lose 0.5lb a week. I haven't gone over my calories and I feel full each day.

A suggestion would be to set an easy, achievable goal; an idea is to log in every day entering everything you eat, even if you go over. If you can conquer that goal for 14 days then add to it.

I tell myself, I can make good food choices today, just for today. I'm not worrying about tomorrow, just today.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    If I could do college over I would totally re-assess my eating habits. For some reason because of all the stress of deadlines, hard work, reading, female distractions, I decided to gain about 40#.

Totally agree with this. Master great eating habits now and adopt exercise as part of your daily life. This will help you drop those 30#, but more important, set you up for a long and healthy life! Confidence and positive self-esteem will follow.

And while I'm on my soapbox, don't EVER let being broke be an excuse for crappy eating. Frozen broccoli and black beans cost the same as spaghettios and box Mac & cheese.

Sending you positive vibes!
  • Edamatcha
    Edamatcha Posts: 8 Member
    You're not alone, I'm going into second year too! 'Freshers 15' also hit me - it's why I'm here :)
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Your looks are only one part of who you are. I don't know you but even so I'd bet you have abilities and personality traits that you should reasonably take pride in. Don't sell yourself short :)