Binge eating

Options
I've been doing good for the past few months but lately I can't stop binge eating :'( how to get back on track

Replies

• Princess71117
    Princess71117 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    For me, I do my best to keep all the foods that would trigger me to binge either out of my house or not buy them at All. For example, to help me reduce my binging, I have purchased "snack size" cracker packets and chip packets. Keep them in the trunk of my car. Great for me to grab one on the go, and easy to log because once I'm done the bag...I can't just mindlessly eat through 10... this is because most of my binging is done in the privacy of my own home. Does that make sense? Keep pushing forward...
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you want to really stop the bingeing behavior, you need more than getting back on track. From my experience, you can ignore it, avoid your trigger foods, and restrict all you want, but eventually it'll happen again unless the root issues are addressed and/or you substitute it with another behavior.

So is it emotional eating? A fear of deprivation? Mindless, boredom eating? Maybe you don't know that yet, and you have to analyze your thoughts next time you binge. If you do, come up with a definite plan about what you are going to do the next time you want to binge. Go for a walk, drink a glass of water, chew gum, journal, do something with your hands (I knit, for instance). State your intent out loud, "I will go for a walk whenever I feel like bingeing" and follow through, even if you only put off the binge for 5 minutes, that's progress, and it's experience sitting with the urge to binge without indulging it.
  • explodingmango
    explodingmango Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't pretend I have a complete solution,
    but I do have a couple tips that help me do damage control when a binge cycle hits.

One thing that occasionally helps me break out of the cycle is making it harder to get to my binge food. Put it in a lock box, or on a high shelf, or even just behind a lot of less appealing healthy food. I can still get to it, but the more time it takes me to reach it, the more time I have to stop and reconsider whether or not I really want it that badly.

Also, in general, I have a rule for myself when it comes to snack food: if it comes in larger packages, I get one package per week/two weeks/month/etc. depending on the size; if I end up binging on them and going through them all at once, I'm still not getting more until it's time - I want more? Well, self, you should have thought about that before you ate the entire box in one sitting. If it comes in single-serving packs, I don't even keep it in the house - if I want it badly enough to go out and get it, then I get it. If I'm not motivated enough to go get it, then I don't need it.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Since I've truly given myself permission to eat without restrictions, I haven't binged once. Now that I no longer restrict or expect to deprive myself, I don't feel the same sense of urgency to eat everything all at once.
  • kitkatcad
    kitkatcad Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Here's what's helped me in the past:

Whenever you feel the urge to eat, ask yourself "why?" Why do I want to eat? If the answer isn't "I'm hungry," stop. STOP.

If you can't stop and are compelled to binge, find rules or an external force (group therapy, rules about when and where you eat, only eating at the table with no screens, or no eating in your own house, etc) to make meals and snacks defined and purposeful. You can break the habit. You can do it.
  • astral_baby
    astral_baby Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    binging is almost always emotional. I used to struggle with this! feel free to PM me <3
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't "do good" or be good - aim to eat well, which is appropriate portions of foods and treats you like. No matter if you have underlying psychological issues, deprivation always leads to overeating, and for many, bingeing. Tend to your physical and emotional needs. Food is not your enemy.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Do you totally deny yourself treats then go overboard? If so, allow small portions of goodies a couple of times a week. Try to eat fewer calories the day before so you don't have to feel guilty.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I recently listened to the "Brain over Binge" podcast and got a lot out of it. She has a book as well. It might be worth a try. She really comes at it from a different angle and while I was at first skeptical of her theories, it's worked for me for the past couple of weeks.