How to break the soda/sweet tea habit

Options
2»

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Yo the diet mountain dew is actually really good. Ever try it?

This is the only thing I have found on this Earth that gives me heartburn. :| weird!

I wonder what it is!
  • QuartzCrow
    QuartzCrow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Making your own tea with stevia would be my best advice. Stevia is a sugar substitute extracted from the leaves of the stevia plant. It's the equivalent of Splenda, but sweeter. I used to like to drink really sugary fruit flavored tea, and this helped me. If flavor is an issue, I would take twice as many tea bags/loose leaves than normal, and steep them overnight in a pitcher. Trust me, the tea will be very concentrated by then, and with enough stevia it should taste about the same. Just add water to dilute it to your personal taste, and you've got enough to last the day.

Ice brand sparkling water is my favorite sugar free drink, just thought I'd throw it out there. Costco carries it in variety packs. The apple flavor tastes exactly like real sugared apple juice to me. Blackberry is also good XD

I was always told that drinks with high sugar won't quench thirst, as the body will simply require more water to rid itself of the sugar ingested, thus why one of the symptoms of diabetes being excessive thirst.

Last thing, stevia tends to taste slightly "plant-like", maybe floral. I personally can't tell this difference when I use it in tea, but in things like coffee I prefer Splenda.

Hope this helps :smile:
  • Naughtlookin
    Naughtlookin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've been drinking a lot of plain water and using some flavor packets but not many cuz of the aspartame. I had completely forgotten about the already flavored water you can buy so I will definitely be getting some. I really can't stand diet soda because to me they taste salty, altho I do agree that Diet Mountain Dew is one of the better ones. I just really want to do my best to get away from soda altogether if possible. I will also be trying flavored and fruit infused tea mixtures. Thanks so much for all the info!!
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you enter them into your diary and see your calorie allocation disappearing, does that not deter you? I find it difficult to stick to my calorie limit, but would not waste them on sugary drinks!!
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The struggle is real. Diet sodas are my last vice and so far the hardest to break. I have improved a lot, but I want to get to be completely diet soda-free.

Positive vibes your way!
  • cuteruthie
    cuteruthie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weened myself and our family from sodas by introducing sparkling water. Zero calories and no sodium and no fake sugars. Now it is a must at family celebrations. Try it you might like it. :smile:
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yep, seems others have mentioned the way I did it. I switched to La Croix and recently just went all-in for water because I'm also worried about my dental health.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I drink diet. No it's not as good but I think you get used to it lol