Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

International Food Unit

Options
skymningen
skymningen Posts: 532 Member
I just wanted to throw this out, as it took my attention and I would be interested in the discussion it might spark here. (Although I still have to read it completely myself as I am at work.)

https://ijbnpa.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12966-017-0583-y

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think this is part of the problem - treating people like little children (or just stupid and irresponsible) and complicating simple things. Appropriate portions should be determined by weight, not volume, and be in line with each individual's calorie need, nutritional needs, medical issues, total calorie intake that day/week, preferences, and these things will vary according to occasion, season, other circumstances. People like to eat, food is cheap, people like to get a bargain, those who sell things like to earn money. Unless we do something with the attitudes and customs that drives our behavior, our society will just get fatter and fatter.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I like it! Currently, things like 'a serve' or 'a portion' are not easily determined by many people. I think anything that can help with volume estimation accuracy is a useful tool in the battle of the bulge!
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    They acknowledge that the best option is weighing food. But let's face it, we can't always do that. I can't do that at work without making myself the laugh of the kitchen, neither in a restaurant and also not on a family event. I cannot bring a food scale everywhere. But a bunch of little cubes sounds much easier. Not as a full solution, but as a go-to helper I can take anywhere.