Throwing out old clothes

Options
Not sure if this is the correct section to post but here goes.

I've gone from a 38 waist to a 34 and recently decided to throw out / donate old bigger clothes which no longer fit.
Main reason was it was like leaving the past behind and planning on never returning to that weight. Anyone else ever done this?

Replies

• garyoconnor007
    garyoconnor007 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good to hear :)
  • Lizzinc
    Lizzinc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That's my plan, not that it's going to guarantee you won't gain it back, but it might be a deterrent, and solidify the change in your brain?
  • garyoconnor007
    garyoconnor007 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always hated my old jeans, far to long and baggy
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Yes. However, depending on the quality of the pieces, perhaps some can be tailored to fit you again.
  • oreo_cookies_1992
    Options
    I did this the first time I lost weight :) it felt so good. However, I ended up getting pregnant about six months later and then wished I hadn't been in such a hurry to get rid of my bigger clothes.. but eventually I did get back down to a lower weight and it all worked out fine. This was something I didn't even take into consideration at the time. Lesson learned lol.
    However donating your clothes for whatever reason is very kind so I don't actually totally regret my decision as they went to someone in need!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    Why would you NOT do this? People here talk about having 20 years worth of clothes stuffed into their closets and basements. I never understood why people keep stuff around that's not useful to them. It's just a waste of space and something else to keep organized. Keep what is useful on a year-long timeframe, and donate or ditch the rest. Go for it!

I agree! I haven't been my current size since I was 13 years old but even if I had wardrobes of right-size clothing from my twenties I would not be wearing them again now!

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I just donated four pairs of big jeans, and came out of the thrift shop with two smaller pairs for $6 a pair. Feels like a real accomplishment to see my weight loss progress, and getting rid of the larger sizes just underscores my commitment to not gaining it back.
  • Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had a right clear out, but now I have very little that fits me. Hubby told me off for not keeping them "in case I grow back into them". I told him (after I'd calmed down) I wasn't a child I am not wanting nor expecting to " grow into them". Silly man!!! I need to go shopping...
  • krushal8880
    krushal8880 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    No I haven't but I need to. I know I'm not going back to that size but I'm nervous about doing it. I think it's all mental at this point and I will do it soon. :)
  • SoulOfALion5
    SoulOfALion5 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to be able to do this. Well done on your hard work and determination.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great idea! It shows you have entered into a whole new life.
  • zennil2
    zennil2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I absolutely can not wait until I have this decision to make!!
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I have a huge pile of beautiful / expensive slacks, cords and 2x / 3x shirts. I am going to take them to Hospice thrift shop to help others. It is expensive to replace clothes but rewarding to slide into new, smaller, trimmer slacks.