Raw
  • ky_2_ks
    ky_2_ks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weight it cooked
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Chop up raw meat into 2oz portions. So you know exactly what you are serving. qddn17ad4fy9.jpg
  • peterbuller8
    peterbuller8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Always raw
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Raw whenever possible
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Raw. Cooked is never consistent because cooking time and temp will cook out different amounts of fat and liquid.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you weigh raw use raw data, if you weigh cooked use cooked data. Raw is generally preferred but not always realistic to do (I bulk cook and freeze diced chicken for example...that is weighed cooked because I am not cooking 4 oz portions separately.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you eat/cook, weighing raw isn't always practical. I eat roughly 5lbs of ground meat per week, so it's pretty much impractical to weigh it because I cook in bulk.

What I tend to do is multiply it by 1.5 for tracking purposes. So basically if i eat 10oz for dinner, I track it as 15.

I've found this method works quite well. I've actually stalled in the past from likely eating more than I should have, from using the raw weight of cooked meat. The calorie differences can be quite significant!

Here's the site I found:
    http://www.ontheregimen.com/2013/08/28/how-to-weigh-meat-cooked-or-raw/
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Aerona85 wrote: »
    If you weigh raw use raw data, if you weigh cooked use cooked data. Raw is generally preferred but not always realistic to do (I bulk cook and freeze diced chicken for example...that is weighed cooked because I am not cooking 4 oz portions separately.

Weigh it first, then work out how much per portion when you divide it....
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Aerona85 wrote: »

Weigh it first, then work out how much per portion when you divide it....

Except I don't eat the same amount each time, nor so I eat it that fast...it may sit in freezer for weeks before it is eaten. I just use USDA values for cooked and it seems to be working fine.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    ky_2_ks wrote: »
    I weight it cooked

Then you are eating almost DOUBLE what you think you are. Raw is the most accurate because there is no way to tell how much water has been cooked out. All nutrition info is based on raw. Search through some of the forums for more thorough explanations.

I guess the USDA nutrition database doesn't know what it's doing.

Basic Report: 13369, Beef, brisket, flat half, separable lean and fat, trimmed to 0" fat, all grades, cooked, braised

If you weigh raw, use a raw entry. If you weigh cooked use an entry for the same style of cooking.

Show me a true 0" fat brisket and I'll eat my hat
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Raw is more accurate. Cooked weight can vary depending on how well done or not it is. As it's cooked it loses moisture and thus weighs less.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I would say just track it based on whether it was weighed raw or cooked. Truth is that it is probably not relevant to your overall success. The fact you are even weighing your food is far more proactive than most people so I definitely would not stress too much about it.

My guess is if someone has gained a lot of weight it was not due to weighing the food cooked vs. raw but rather overeating for an extended period of time. If it is easier to weigh raw, do it. If its easier to weigh cooked, do that.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    ky_2_ks wrote: »
    I weight it cooked

Then you are eating almost DOUBLE what you think you are. Raw is the most accurate because there is no way to tell how much water has been cooked out. All nutrition info is based on raw. Search through some of the forums for more thorough explanations.

I think this is a little hyperbolic. There are accurate and appropriate entries in the database for both the raw and the cooked weight. It's not accurate to say that ALL nutrition info is based on raw. True, raw is a bit more accurate and the nutrition label will be for the raw or as packaged weight (unless it specifies otherwise as is usually the case for things like bacon), but as long as @ky_2_ks is choosing entries that match the way they choose to weigh it won't be too far off. A lot of people have had success with this, especially when you're batch cooking or cooking for a family.
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    cooked becuase that's what im eating...im not eating the frozen or raw product
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm making. If I'm cooking for several people, cooked, if I'm just making myself a burger or a steak, raw.

Just use the appropriate entry.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm cooking. As long as it's the corresponding cooked vs raw entry, then it's fine. I've done it for years with no issues.

Raw is more precise but not always practical.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your meat raw or cooked? Ta

Raw. It is the most accurate way to weigh and log it. There is no way to tell how much water you are cooking out of your meat. Yes, you might also be cooking some fat out but better to be over than under.