Beginner exercises to be done at home

Options
Hi everyone!!

I had my third child six weeks ago, I've been given the all clear and I'm allowed to exercise however I have no idea where to begin.

I very rarely leave the house, so I'd rather indoor exercises. I have very weak muscles so must be beginner exercises. I want to focus on toning and cardio as I don't want to be left with a lot of excess skin.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansome videos are a good place to start. She does very low impact aerobics based on walking, knee lifts, etc. with light weights sometimes. I have a dvd that has one mile, two mile, three mile and four mile workouts. Yoga is also an option.
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Has fit
    Fitness Blender
    They have TONS of good videos
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Leslie Sansone videos are a good place to start. She does very low impact aerobics based on walking, knee lifts, etc. with light weights sometimes. I have a dvd that has one mile, two mile, three mile and four mile workouts. Yoga is also an option.

Check out Jessica Smith TV also. She has walking style workouts, kickboxing, weights......lots of great workouts.
    http://jessicasmithtv.com/exercise-videos/

Check out the beginner section.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I love Joan Pagano's book "Strength Training Exercises for Women". Primarily light dumbbells (most start at 3lbs and go up to 12. I think I saw a couple with 1-2lbs) with some body-weight. Other equipment for the exercises I do include a mat, cardio step, ankle weights, resistance bands, and a soccer ball or 7" rubber ball.

The book includes multiple exercises and stretches for each muscle group. Each exercise is tiered. So, for example, the basic 'squat with weights' looks like:

Level 1: 10 reps, 2x3lb dumbbells, 1-2 sets
    Level 2: 12-15 reps, 2x5-8lb dumbbells, 1-2 sets
    Level 3: 8-12 reps, 2x10-12lb dumbbells, 1-3 sets

The back of the book includes three sample workouts geared to different fitness levels as well as 4 weights-and-cardio interval workouts.

What's also good is that she includes modified versions to accommodate those who, say, suffer from wrist or lower back pain, or may not have the balance or flexibility to do the exercises as shown. Plenty of full-color photos and also tips about where the most common mistakes in form lie.
  • Afitbeginning
    Afitbeginning Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This is good for beginners https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsr3LDkbM0M