How Friendly Are Gym Folks?

Options

Replies

• blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I've lived in 5 states and been in gyms in everyone. The gym of yester year is gone. It can be as friendly as you make it. I would say find someone who is training at your level. A power lifter or bodybuilder that has been working out would not make a good training partner. You could hire a trainer or ask someone to give feed back on your form.
    It's been my experience that training partners will come and go, I was one that came and went moving from state to state. I liked working out with those that were close to my level of fitness we would push each other and helped keep each other in check. The thing to keep in mind is you are at the gym and there to build your body strong not build friendships strong.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    in the public rec centre system, i haven't found one but like someone else said, i haven't been looking either. there actually is one smaller old-school branch where i felt like active overtures were beign made to sort of 'include' me in the overall room atmosphere, so i think it varies from one venue to another and it's certainly possible in some of them. but i'm just one of those loner types who finds things like that overwhelming and distracting. i genuinely appreciate the vibe as an overall atmosphere, but for actual workouts, i would really much much prefer to do my own thing in parallel with everyone else also just doing their own things.

with that said though, i think 'how friendly are people' is a slightly different question from 'will i make friends'. almost everyone in the places i lift is extremely friendly. they just don't (typically) go out of their way or step into each other's space in order to generate relationships with one another.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Some people treat the gym as though it were a social club. Don't be one of those people if you want to get a serious workout. You'll just wind up wasting time and effort, and you'll be annoying the people who are serious.

On the other hand, other serious gym goers will tend to be reasonably friendly. They will tend to be focused on their workouts, and many of them won't be much for chit-chat. They'll probably be reasonably civil though, and seldom will they be outright hostile.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Try group classes. They gear to people who like group exercise and you are more likely to find friends
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've made some good friends at the gym, but it's not like we were just chums from day one...it's taken me years to establish these relationships just like anywhere else.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Agree- classes or small training groups I've been in have been more social.
    I am social... but most others just want to get in and get out. I've been going to the same yoga class 1-2x/week for 6 weeks or so, people are friendly, but only 1 person even asked me what my name was (other then the instructor) :neutral: Takes time to establish relationships, but I prefer quality over quantity!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty anti-social at the gym, but there again I'm also an Aspie so I'm pretty much anti-social full stop. I do attend a few (well more than a few classes) and talk to a select few, but if I've got my earphones in then that means I'm not in a talking mood. I'm pretty sure that they're a friendly bunch at my gym though, they're certainly understanding, supportative and inclusive (we have several members from the local supported living for adults with LD).
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Check out a crossfit gym. Everything is scaled to your ability, the coaches are there helping you every step of the way if needed, it's like a group training session every single day, and the community is amazing, so positive and supportive

I joined one for four month trial and was so out of shape I couldn't even handle the modified workouts LOL so i quit
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Personal trainer? classes? Or maybe just try to chat with people up in the weight room and see if they want to be friends?? Bahaha. Sorry I am super antisocial so I'm no help. Maybe Theres a local group on Facebook where you could ask if anyone needs a workout buddy?
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Personal trainer? Or maybe just try to chat with people and see if they want to be friends?? Bahaha. Sorry I am super antisocial so I'm no help. Maybe Theres a local group on Facebook where you could ask if anyone needs a workout buddy?

Problem was solved recently anyway. My sister (if she was serious) wanted to join planet fitness so there's that.

Plus i decided to go back to MMA when i was a little more fit (stamina wise)
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    These days I've noticed that everybody is wearing earphones which cut down on the chat opportunities between sets. I rarely go in the mornings, but when I do those folks are more social.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Been going to the Y for a month. 5:30 am most weekdays. Only person I've had more than a 2 word conversation with is my neighbour. I imagine some of the folks are friendly, but I just want to get in and get out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'd also say that's it not that people are necessarily unfriendly...as I mentioned earlier, I've met a lot of good friends in the gym...but training time is typically training time, not chit chat time or social hour. Talk during the actual workouts is pretty limited. Most of the people I've met and engage with, it was after workouts...while stretching or in the locker room or hanging out in the lounge area afterwards...not during workouts.

Don't assume that just because people aren't chatty when training that they are inherently unfriendly...they're just working.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I go to 4 gyms and see a different dynamic in each, but similar personalities. Many are uncomfortable at first, but once you realize that literally everyone there is just as self conscious, if not even more so, it gets easier. It doesn't get easier, you simply get used to the situation.

1. Gym on military base - all military, so everyone has common ground. Very challenging and encouraging atmosphere and a lot of HooYahs thrown around whenever someone beats a personal best.

2. YMCA - fitness levels all over the place, but everyone is cordial. Most keep to themselves and just into their own workout.

3. RecPlex - community membership gym. Similar to the Y, but bigger and more stations/activities. Again everyone keeps to themselves, but there's a tight community to help new members out and encourage people to keep coming back.

4. Work gym - goal is to get in and get back to work, so little to no talking. Everyone does their own thing and socialization is at a minimum.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The owner of the gym that I go to is also my trainer and we work together in the early a.m. when he is there. It's a whole different class of people in the early a.m. versus the evening. At least for me, people are serious in the morning but also friendlier because the day is fresh! In the evening, people are tired and want to be home but at the gym sharing their bad moods ... at least that has been my experience.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    This is going to be highly variable. Tons of people go and don't want to speak or look at another person.
    Others are social butterflies.
    One of my best friends is a guy I met at the gym almost 20 years ago. But it was small and you saw the same 20 people every day.

I would agree. I have been friends with people I meet at the gym for many years but we have one goal @ the gym. Workout!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I didn't meet anyone at my gym until I joined a women's boxing class they had. Since then the class has evolved into a team and we also lift together as a group. I love these women and we talk daily to motivate and encourage each other between workouts. Saturday were BBQing and watching the fight together.

Join a class or group and you will definitely have work out buddies
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I have made a couple very good friends at the gym, but like others have said, it took time. It didn't happen overnight. The best friend I have from the gym, we started talking because we were both working with the same personal trainer. Now the trainer moved, the other friend works out at a different gym...but we are all still friends.

I have made more friends at group training classes. Currently I go to 9Rounds to get good cardio, without being on a treadmill or other machine. I have met people there, they also do runs and other events together, they have a facebook group, etc. I could have a full social life with this group if I wanted to. The Facebook group has had multiple people ask and find workout buddies.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    i am currently changing gyms.. one of my concerns was the social aspect. i been at my current gym for years so i have seen same faces for years so i am one of the cool kids.. now gonna be a new kid on the block. i like ppl to br friendly say hello or even nod ect.. most of my serious chit chatting has came in the locker room since i rented my own locker.