Talk to me about Intermittent Fasting...

Options
I recently have switched to a Whole30/Paleo type eating plan and no longer track calories. However, my weight has plateaued at the exact same spot it has every time I have attempted to lose in my adult life.

I need to lose 8-10 more pounds and would be thrilled ultimately to lose a total of 15 more but the scale will not move!

Been looking at Intermittent Fasting, particularly 16/8.

Just curious if anyone has had any luck using it to break through plateaus? Thoughts? Suggestions for a total newbie when it comes to IF?

Let me hear it all! Thanks.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say you are at a plateau, you're just eating to maintain. If you want to lose weight, consider tracking so you can eat at a deficit. IF will only result in weight loss if it puts you at a deficit. Lots of people have had success with it, but when I tried it (before I began counting calories), it didn't result in a weight loss for me.
  • run2forty
    run2forty Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know y'all are probably right. I actually switched my eating to get away from calorie counting bc I wasn't losing and had been a calorie counter for years on and off. Lost 7 lbs and now "stuck" again.

Maybe the combination of the two is what I will have to do.
  • run2forty
    Options
    mdeck86 wrote: »
    I IF 17/7. It works well. But it is also exercise coupled with IF that works the best. I exercise while in fast so my body has nothing new, it depletes old stores. Most i have before 1pm is bcaas so the body knows to take the fat storage.

During your 7 hour window do you eat less calories than you would not doing IF?
  • MikeEsko
    MikeEsko Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    run2forty wrote: »

During your 7 hour window do you eat less calories than you would not doing IF?
    Absolutely. No early morning breakfasts and a snac to hold me over to lunch. No late night snacks to store before bed. Best part about it is after 2 days. Im not hungry at all during my 17 at all.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I do an easier version. 12-hour fast. I eat dinner and stop eating for the night.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I do 16:8 fasting. It's a better way to eat for me personally. When switching eating patterns, I kept my calorie goal the same. You will lose weight with a calorie deficit. And those last 10 lbs will be the toughest. IF alone will not get you there. My solution for you is to resume counting calories, buy a food scale to ensure accurate intake tracking. And have patience.

ETA: Grammar
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've done various IF protocols over the past 5 years and use 16:8IF as part of my maintenance plan. 16:8IF is not a weight loss plan in itself though, it's just an eating window. You still need to be at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals, in order to lose weight.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Others have already acknowledged IF not being a magical fix, so I'll just share my experience.

For years, like all of my high school and college years, I did 16:8 without realizing it was a thing. Just never cared for breakfast foods and wasn't hungry.

Now that my job is a bit more demanding, and I'm not someone that can run fasted in the morning, I don't follow it as much anymore. However, what I have found in my personal experience, is that when my hunger is starting to get naggingly annoying despite correct macros, I switch to IF for a month or so at a time. Something is more appeasing to my mind about being able to eat more in a short time span, especially because I'm a grazer versus someone that likes big meals. So I'm less worrisome about making sure I'm not eating too much because I don't have early morning calories to worry about, leaving the afternoon and night open for me when I'm more awake and active.

Obviously this is just anecdotal and my personal experience on it, but that feeling of not being as restricted is nice, even if I'm in a calorie deficit. But it should be noted that I track calories throughout, which obviously has been suggested you restart if you are plateauing.
  • run2forty
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I recently have switched to a Whole30/Paleo type eating plan and no longer track calories. However, my weight has plateaued at the exact same spot it has every time I have attempted to lose in my adult life.

I need to lose 8-10 more pounds and would be thrilled ultimately to lose a total of 15 more but the scale will not move!

Been looking at Intermittent Fasting, particularly 16/8.

Just curious if anyone has had any luck using it to break through plateaus? Thoughts? Suggestions for a total newbie when it comes to IF?

Let me hear it all! Thanks.

so you stopped tracking calories and what to know why you are plateauing?

the solution to your problem is to go back to weighing and logging all your food...

I did stop tracking and actually lost 7lbs just by switching my eating, even without tracking calories. It has only been the last 6 weeks that I plateaued again. Was just hoping there was something other than going back to tracking calories that would get the scale moving again.

From the overwhelming response here... I guess not ;)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I recently have switched to a Whole30/Paleo type eating plan and no longer track calories.

As you've discovered, it's easy to eat more than you want to with Paleo.

That same reality holds for IF.
  • FluffyNinjaBldr
    Options
    I have been doing 16:8 for a few weeks. I have not been tracking calories. About the same time I increased my physical activity (from practically none to 1 or 2 miles most days). I have consistently lost weight (up to almost 10 lbs). I expect I will plateau at some point. I will then do a 5:2 (or 6:1) on top of this. That is to say on one or two days I will reduce my caloric intake to approx. 500 calories. To be honest the 16:8 just reduces the time I have to think about food. It also means when I get to that point when I have to track calories to lose weight, I'll only have to do it for 8 hours. :smiley: Also note, I'm overweight so it is probably easier for me to loose weight than someone who is close to their goal weight.

One side benefit I've anecdotally noticed is a reduction in overall joint pain. Not sure if IF has helped with some inflammation issues I was having (purported benefit of IF) or what.
  • KristaCatherine87
    Options
    I had a 4 month plateau until I discovered intermittent fasting! It works for me super well. I still keep an eye on my calories but pay more attention to carbs and sugar now. I eat breakfast at 12 then supper at 5ish. Other than that nothing other than green tea and water. If I'm starving in between I'll have some veggies. Feel free to add me or message me if you have any questions :) good luck!
  • richb178
    richb178 Posts: 47 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I tried 14/10 breakfast/dinner, skipping lunch at work, for a few weeks. Then I naturally started skipping breakfast. Now I only eat once a day and I'm never hungry during the day. I've done that about a month. I stopped counting calories or weighing my food, but it's easy for me to continue losing weight with just one meal a day - can't help eating fewer calories because I'm not hungry so I don't stuff myself at dinner or snack at all. I'm actually kind of shocked about it. Barely eating any carbs helps I'm sure.