Sodium intake

Options
SisepuedeLinda
SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Do you follow the amount that mfp gave you? I know it makes you retain water if you have too much so I just want to know if what the number they gave is ok? My amount is 2,300 mg. I usually don't go over but sometimes I do. I'm lightly active, 26, 5'5, and 220 pounds.

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I don't plan my eating around it, but I take a look every now and then, just to be aware. I also see a doctor regularly and she's never seen a problem with my overall sodium numbers, so I mostly put it out of my mind. I genuinely think worrying about water weight only leads to unhappiness, because the things that lead to water weight are either unavoidable (injury, hormones, etc) or a lot of fun (high sodium restaurant food, booze).
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you start retaining too much water
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I ignore it, and I would suggest doing so unless you have a medical reason not to.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My food diary lets me see a quick summary of 6 items. By default salt and sugar are in that number. We have the ability to change the 6 things it shows us, and I do. I find that I'm much more pleased to see quickly how my fiber and potassium are accumulating each day.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I actually eat less on doctors orders. But I've never felt bloated after days when I mess up.
  • jlhflex
    jlhflex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I ignore it as well. I tried too worry about it but it was killing my other Micro nutrients. In other words, I dont plan meals around it....
  • amandacalories
    amandacalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I also ignore it. I've found that if I just eat foods that are more nutritious overall it's not something I need to worry about. However if I have a big overnight spike in weight I'll take a look to see if my sodium was high the previous day.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I track sodium because I've had borderline high blood pressure and sodium can drive it up. However, I also try to drink water throughout the day and want enough sodium so I don't get depleted (sodium is an important electrolyte).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I started eating lower sodium back in college (in the 70's!) to reduce the bloat from PMS, so I got out of the habit of adding it to my food. Nowadays I really don't pay attention to it because I still don't add it unless I am baking. I really have no reason to watch my sodium intake, I just do not have a taste for salty foods . . . except popcorn.

I guess my point is, unless you have a medical reason to watch your sodium, don't worry about it. On the other hand, you can retrain your palate very easily if you do want to cut down on sodium. Taste food before salting it. Use other flavorings like herbs and spices. Prepare as many meals as you can from scratch instead of using convenience foods.

I was "gifted" a big bag of cucumbers today. I decided to make a gallon of dill pickle chips and, when I went to make the brine, I could not get the top off my salt canister. Haven't had to open it for about a year since I use so little.

• richb178
    richb178 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    No - I don't follow anything MFP says. I try to get 4000-5000mg of sodium a day and I don't think I'm retaining water and don't feel bloated (I am very over weight but losing pounds fast). I'm one of those kooks that thinks that unless you are sodium sensitive the govt recommendation of 2300mg is too low.
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I don't know the exact amount when it can become troublesome, but I do know for a fact that high sodium levels over time can do severe damage to your heart. It affects its contractility and consequently blood pressure. High bp over time leads to heart disease.

Source: Just read it in my anatomy and physiology textbook.