More BMR confusion.

Options
hi everyone,
I'm confused about the BMR. I thought that BMR was the least amount of calories you should eat on any given day. My BMR gives me a number of 1645, but MFP tells me that to lose 1lb/wk I should be eating 1530 calories/day. Am I wrong in thinking that I shouldn't be eating below my BMR?
I can't exercise right now due to a back/hip injury, so I'm really watching my calories.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    BMR is your base metabolic rate...what your body burns in calories during a 24 hour period if you do NOTHING but lay in bed. It is the amount your body needs to maintain itself at your current weight....not gain and not lose.
    So to lose weight you must eat less than that in calories so your body will have to burn up some of the fat it has stored. If you don't eat less than that number you are maintaining your current weight.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the amount of calories your body consumes just to exist. You would eat AT your BMR to maintain your current weight. If you want to lose weight you need to eat less than your BMR. It's not recommended to go under 1200 a day because that's the amount you would need to get the proper amount of macronutrients in order for your body to function. However you shouldn't go more than 1000 calories a day under your BMR for an extended period of time because then your body would slow it's metabolism significantly.
  • bethc370
    bethc370 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the clarification. I was confused, but now I understand how MFP got my calorie allowance.
    Thank you both for taking the time to explain it to me in a way that makes sense. :)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    BMR represents what your body burns if you were to rest or sleep all day and night. Look at your goals page. One the right side it will show you what MFP estimated that you would burn through "Normal daily activity" based on what you put in as your active status (ie Sedentary, Lightly active, etc). Below that number is the estimated daily calories (without exercise) that you would need to consume in order to lose 1 lb a week (if this is your goal). You WANT to burn more calories than you take in - that is how we lose weight. So the number will probably be below your BMR - until you get to (or atleast closer) to your goal weight. Hope that helps ya!
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the clarification. I was confused, but now I understand how MFP got my calorie allowance.
    Thank you both for taking the time to explain it to me in a way that makes sense. :)

You are very welcome!!
  • drrif
    drrif Posts: 28
    Options
    Your BMR is the amount of calories your body consumes just to exist. You would eat AT your BMR to maintain your current weight. If you want to lose weight you need to eat less than your BMR. It's not recommended to go under 1200 a day because that's the amount you would need to get the proper amount of macronutrients in order for your body to function. However you shouldn't go more than 1000 calories a day under your BMR for an extended period of time because then your body would slow it's metabolism significantly.

That is not correct. If you live a normal life, are fairly active, go to work etc, then if you eat at BMR you will lose weight. Your BMR assume zero activity, just what you need to breathe, digest, brain function, blood circulation. So unless you are ill and are in bed all day, you will LOSE weight if you eat AT your BMR.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    BMR is your base metabolic rate...what your body burns in calories during a 24 hour period if you do NOTHING but lay in bed. It is the amount your body needs to maintain itself at your current weight....not gain and not lose.
    So to lose weight you must eat less than that in calories so your body will have to burn up some of the fat it has stored. If you don't eat less than that number you are maintaining your current weight.

BMR x estimated activity factor is your total daily energy expenditure. (TDEE) You need to consume less than this (or eat more and exercise to create a deficit) to lose weight.

If you were bed ridden then if you ate less than your BMR you would lose weight.

What is an Activity Factor - Essentially, this is the COST OF LIVING. THIS IS BASED ON MORE THAN JUST YOUR TRAINING (include work/lifestyle, gym/ sport & a TEF of ~ 15% - ie: an average mixed diet). And unless you are an ATHLETE your job/ lifestyle is MORE important than the gym sessions you do! So to convert BMR a TOTAL requirement you multiply the result by:
    1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise and desk job)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

From http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
  • bethc370
    bethc370 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I understand better now how MFP came up with my calorie goals. Such wonderful support here, thanks!