Bad start to the day

Options
I just started this week and it's been going well. This morning however, I had my usual breakfast of oats and peanut butter but I'm still hungry. And now I'm also shaky. I feel weak. But I don't want to use more calories before 9 in the morning. Do you guys have any energising tips for keeping up during your weight loss lows? I run after 4 kids 6&under and I really need to not feel like this.

Replies

• Julani34
    Julani34 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I hate having to lose weight so much. I don't fit into anything. I want pizza. And i just want this over with already.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Julani34 wrote: »
    I am under eating at 1200 calories a day in order to lose 1 kg a week. But I'm forcing myself cause I also know myself well enough to know that if it doesn't happen fast enough I'll lose all motivation and go the other way. I reckon I could get there fast and maintenance should be easy. I just don't understand, I was fine yesterday and the 2 days before.

I'm 85 kgs and I want to lose 20kgs by new year. I'm going to be a bridesmaid in the world's most unflattering dress and however shallow this sounds I don't want to be the balloon in a line up of triathletes, I'm not exaggerating. The photo's will be around for the rest of eternity.

It's happened now because you have run through your body's store of glycogen due to your excessive deficit.
    Just like your car is running fine right up to the point it runs out of fuel.

Maintenance won't be easier switching from a huge deficit, it will be harder.

There's also a good chance that even if you do manage to lose 20kg quickly you will be disappointed with how you look - a smaller version of the current you. To use your terminology - a deflated balloon.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    If you are running after 4 children you are probably burning loads of cals through exercise so your deficit it way too much.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Do you do any exercise? I'm surprised no one has suggested lifting yet. If you start lifting (in addition to eating at a deficit) you won't gain much muscle, however it will help prevent the loss of lean mass. Aka keeping you firmer, not a "deflated balloon." Plus on days you exercise, you will be able to eat back more calories.

(However because exercise calories are notoriously difficult to estimate accurately, only eat back 50-75% of exercise calories).
  • thunderchild007
    thunderchild007 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Honestly, this only has to be a miserable, painful experience if you make it one.

^^this^^
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you burn in a day? Instead of eating 1200 or under because that's what MFP says to eat why not figure that out and eat at a deficit of 750?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    You are all right of course. Low blood sugar is making me crazy and grumpy. Patience has never been a virtue I possess. Its usually all or nothing and that's not sustainable. Will reconsider my goal. Thanks guys.

Glad to hear this! I'm going to post the risks of rapid weight loss anyway. Also, you might want to try a breakfast with more protein - PB is a great source of fat, but not so much for protein.

What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Do you do any exercise? I'm surprised no one has suggested lifting yet. If you start lifting (in addition to eating at a deficit) you won't gain much muscle, however it will help prevent the loss of lean mass. Aka keeping you firmer, not a "deflated balloon." Plus on days you exercise, you will be able to eat back more calories.

(However because exercise calories are notoriously difficult to estimate accurately, only eat back 50-75% of exercise calories).

?? Because lifting weights won't stop her passing out from under eating?
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You are all right of course. Low blood sugar is making me crazy and grumpy. Patience has never been a virtue I possess. Its usually all or nothing and that's not sustainable. Will reconsider my goal. Thanks guys.

Glad to hear this! I'm going to post the risks of rapid weight loss anyway. Also, you might want to try a breakfast with more protein - PB is a great source of fat, but not so much for protein.

What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?

Rapid weight loss creates physical demands on the body. Possible serious risks include:
    • Gallstones, which occur in 12% to 25% of people losing large amounts of weight over several months
    • Dehydration, which can be avoided by drinking plenty of fluids
    • Malnutrition, usually from not eating enough protein for weeks at a time
    • Electrolyte imbalances, which rarely can be life threatening

Other side effects of rapid weight loss include:
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Fatigue
    • Dizziness
    • Constipation
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Hair loss
    • Muscle loss

After several bouts of serious abdominal pain, I had my gall bladder removed and I had lost 4 stones in 6 months, don't obsess about a final number, take it steady and it will add up
  • Julani34
    Julani34 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I rarely exercise formally but i hardly sit at all during the day & I go for walks with the kids every day and play ball and carry them around so I'm not completely sedentary .

What if I increased my calories but start doing weight lifting exercises (what is taebo, cardio? ). Will it make a difference in terms of inches rather than actual weight? Cause honestly I would settle at this point for just being able to fit into my clothes. I have nothing to wear. All women say it but I have truly reached that point where I no longer fit into anything I own and I do not want to waste money buying clothes I don't intend wearing for long. Can anyone recommend a dvd workout or YouTube channel that might help me get started? I've only ever done cardio and not often enough to even mention. And leaving the house to go to gym is not an option as I live very far out of town on a farm.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender has a ton of videos for different goals. Eat more calories, fit the pizza in, and actually enjoy your life. It's worth it in the long run.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Just a note to be aware, don't be concerned if you up your calories a bit and also increase your exercise and see your weight increase or stay the same. Both of those things could increase your water weight and are completely normal and don't mean fat loss isn't happening. Good luck!!