Comfort gone meatless

Options
2»

Replies

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Mac N Cheese using cauliflower instead of noodles if you are watching your carbs. If you are Vegan ... I don't know
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Chili with lots of beans and cornbread
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    you can look at any recipe these days at switch the meat for vegetarian meat alternatives or vegetables instead here is a recipe I found that I would love to try one day, I'm not a vegetarian but I do like non meat dishes sometimes: https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/vegetarian-lasagne.html
  • Hichiko
    Hichiko Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Easy chicken parm (assuming you're okay with vegetarian and not just vegan)
    - Morningstar Chick patties
    - Favorite pasta sauce
    - Spaghetti noodles
    - Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta as normal, pop the "chick" patties in the oven with the parmesan cheese on top and cook according to the time on the Morningstar package. Pair with the pasta when done.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I second chili. I also make vegetarian chimichangas like so:

7 tortillas
    1 tbsp(s), Garlic, raw (or more, to taste)
    Mexician, Indian or Moroccan spices (to taste)
    3.50 tablespoon, Oil - Olive
    1.40 container (2.3 cups ea.), Garbanzo Beans
    150 gram, Organic Brown Rice

Cook the rice and beans. Mash or puree the beans and mix that, the garlic, rice and spices together in a big bowl. Add a big dollop of this mixture to each tortilla and fold'er up chimchanga-style. Put the chimis on a baking pan and brush or drizzle the oil all over them. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes on each side. Eat--leftovers freeze great and heat up nicely.
  • Emmygm
    Emmygm Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Biscuits in a veg gravy, mushroom and stout pies, mac and cheese, pirogi casserole, ratatouille, pumpkin soup, the list is almost endless. There are a lot of great vegetarian meals out there if you look for them.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Oh there's so many!!! Don't listen to the BS about not being around long enough! (Sorry @JeromeBarry1, I normally agree with a lot of your posts!!) I DO agree that comfort food is definitely cultural, though.

Mac & Cheese (I have a jalapeno popper mac & cheese recipe that is to DIE for!)
    Chili & Cornbread
    Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese
    Lentil Soup (crockpot, easy! I eat this every day once it gets below 40* out)
    Any type of casserole, green bean casserole is the go-to in my house.

Let me know if you want recipes and I'll send you some!
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You can sub lentils for ground meats in most recipes. I have made sloppy joes,spaghetti sauce,and chili with them. The taste isn't like beef but they are good.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What's your definition of "comfort food"? I make meatless versions of everything I ate growing up: chicken and dumplings, beans and cornbread, biscuits and gravy, etc. The simplest thing to do for most dishes is to just use your favorite meat-like protein. Gardein works well in most recipes that call for chicken. I like Trader Joe's soy crumbles in place of ground beef. Lightlife sausage goes well in gravy. You can also buy no-chicken or no-beef broth.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Cherilyn, are you wanting strict vegan or just vegetarian? Big difference IMO.
    I feel like vegetarian comfort food is definitely doable but I wouldn't be any help with vegan comfort food.

Try a hash brown casserole (maybe a southern thing):
    -1 bag frozen shredded hash browns
    -1/2 stick melted butter
    -3 tbsp extra light tasting olive oil (important not to use EVOO as the cheese won't brown as well in this)
    -8oz sour cream
    - 1 can cream of celery (a lot of people use cream of chicken here but those weird little bits of bright pink chicken are creepy to me anyway)
    -1/2 cup hot sauce (I like Texas Pete) if u want a little extra zip
    -salt and pepper to your taste
    -1 block of the sharpest cheddar u can find and grate it up
    Mix up all that, cover tree top with more cheese (or some people use corn flakes)
    and bake at 350 for 45 minutes

Definitely qualifies as comfort food and is meatless (but wouldn't work for vegan)

Also make a lasagna with extra cheese (I like to use fresh grate ricotta salata blended cream cheese and an egg) just skip the meat in your sauce

Crap... now I'm hungry
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Gumbo z'herbes. New Orleans and the Cajuns have been doing meatless for a few centuries, once Mardi Gras is packed up.

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/gumbo-zherbes-10906
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Grilled cheese sammich and a bowl of tomato soup...
    ^^^This is wintertime comfort food^^^
  • w_angelique
    w_angelique Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Ain't none.

Veganism hasn't been around long enough for it to have 'classic comfort' to describe it.

Now, one classic comfort meatless food in my house is pinto beans and cornbread, but if you're not culturally Southern U.S., you know nothing of it.

Thats what I thought. But then discovered jackfruit. Amazing as a "pulled pork" in a slow cooker. Seriously. I love meat but this blew my mind. If done proper you would not tell this isnt pork.

My local Wal-Mart is bare of many shelves but none of them are labeled for jackfruit. They do have bags of cassava root. Is that similar?

You can find jackfruit in the produce section precooked & flavored. I was shocked. If you are in Texas it's in HEB.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Roast butternut squash with pecans is about as comfort foody as it gets. Or a nice roast corn chowder. Green Giant cauliflower tater tots aren't bad either (frozen food aisle)
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Looking for some classic comfort foods made meatless.

Cooked apples, cored and stuffed with a little brown sugar and cinnamon.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Ain't none.

Veganism hasn't been around long enough for it to have 'classic comfort' to describe it.

Now, one classic comfort meatless food in my house is pinto beans and cornbread, but if you're not culturally Southern U.S., you know nothing of it.

What??? What about Indian or Lebanese? The world doesn't just mean the good old USA lol! ;)