Full time working parents.

Options
I'm a full time working Mama, I manage to slip in a walk at lunchtime and possibly,very possibly something at home.
Can any one else in the same position give me any ideas of how else I can increase my exercise? In the morning is out as husband leaves at 6 am and getting up at 5 am just doesn't work well for me. In the evening I put my daughter to bed and like to stay in as I barely get to see her during the week days with school and work.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

✌️

Replies

• kempy4270
    kempy4270 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know what you are up against I'm a single father that works full time. I actually get up at 4 am every morning to get a quick at home work out in. Let's be really if it was easy everyone would do it right.

I hope you find a routine that works with your schedule. When I get home after work if I have the energy to do a work out I usually get my daughter to do it with me. Have her sit on my stomach as I do crunches and on my back for push ups. She is 2 and loves to help.

You don't need to spend hours in the gym especially when you are just starting a solid 10 min hi intensity work out meaning no breaks will give you a good kick start
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Take your daughter for a walk Even if she is in a stroller - that way both of you get to move. It is how my friend does it. It is the time for her and her eldest son (he's 9 now) Some one on one time
    I also know form some of the people on the baords that have started running with the child cycling etc. Use your imaginatetion involve the child
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When my children were young I did my workouts in the kitchen, the 30 day shred, or Fitnessblender. Children would hang around me initially but the novelty wore off quick and they left me alone for that half an hour.
    Now they're older I can go outdoors again, but I'd definitely recommend the workouts at home.
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of 3 and work full time so I did start waking up for 5am workout classes, I personally loved how I felt the rest of the day and it didn't take anything from my kids. If getting up early isn't your thing could you do a YouTube workout class before dinner, after the kids are in bed? Or with the kids? I do dance workout videos with my kids and they love it
  • celiah909
    Options
    My kids are bit older now so can ride bikes so we also bike rides together- they can easily do 3 miles
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position except my husband doesn't leave until 6:30 so that does give me a little extra time. I'm planning on getting up at 5 to go to the gym. I'm working myself up to it though lol I am not a morning person at all. So this week I've been getting up at 5am and just getting up, sitting on the couch, taking the dog for a walk, and that's it. Just trying to get used to getting up at that time. Next week the plan is to actually make it to the gym lol! My dog will be disappointed haha... I also try to do something after work. Not work out but take my kids to the park or something (walk there) I also want to get new tires for my bike and possibly go on bike rides with my older son (he's 10) on the weekends.
  • AshEvelynn
    AshEvelynn Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Full time working parents here and it's hard to find the time. Sometimes it comes from doing things in between what you are already doing. Cooking dinner? Lunge your way around the kitchen. Waiting for water to boil? Alternate between jumping jacks and squats until it's ready. Watching Tv? Take the stairs up and down for those two minutes to get away from those annoying and repetitive commercials - (if I see one more person strut around that Ford dealership like a peacock, I am going to lose my mind...who cares about employee pricing and why do you have to walk around like that!?)

I have had to bite the bullet and just get up early. Just started C25K and have not missed a day this week. My entire day is amazing because once that horrid 1/2 hour is over, I am feel so happy anytime I think about it all day. Then when I get home, I have that time for my husband and daughter and I don't feel guilty because I already did my workout for the day!

I am by no means a morning person - I couldn't be less of a morning person but I have realized I don't like working out in the evening because that's time away from my family and I dread it all day knowing I still have to do my workout which really makes my day suck. The am workout is hard but it is so worth it. Try to commit for a week. If you don't like it (other than the wake up part), then don't do it. But once you get past that first 5 minutes of pure regret of getting up and the crisp cool air hits your face as you tie your sneakers and put in your earbuds...it's perfect.

Good luck!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I've been going for runs as soon as my kids fall asleep. I get ready before I put them down for bed time. If I sit down it's hard to get motivated so I normally just keep heading out the door.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I also think you should give mornings a shot. I personally don't like the idea of working out after work. That's my only time with my kids. And after they go to bed is my time with my husband.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Me and waking up at 4.30am learned to be best friends over time.
  • celiah909
    Options
    Also to add after reading some other comments -- when at work, could you set a timer for every 50 minutes to get up and go walk the stairs? Even every 90 minutes? Is there a gym at work you could use at lunch?

And I know it sounds tough but you really may want to give mornings a shot.
  • activities1
    activities1 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

Ditto. I wake up at 530, go run, walk, stretch outside my house up and down the street. Annoying and repetitive as it is... I get to exercise outside, get in shape and my daughter sleeps inside. At night, when cooled down we walk to park and she plays while I run/walk and then we play together and back home.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I try to exercise right after my son goes to bed, so around 8. I too do not want to miss out on seeing him as so much time is already gone while I work.

This worked well in the summer when it stayed light until 9, but now I'm have to adjust my time because I'm a runner and I'm not comfortable running that late in the dark. My husband and I made a deal that I would go run while he gave the bath, and I'd be home for story time. It works pretty well!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, it's hard to fit in a workout.
    I usually work out at night after my kids go to bed. We're talking like 9:30ish. It's hard to go to the gym because I have a million other things to do around the house and, oh yeah, spend time w/ my husband. Often I choose the gym over those things because I need to do something for myself. It's a trade-off.

How about doing some HIIT workouts that are around 30 minutes? Fitness Blender has some great ones on Youtube (free!) that are 30 minutes and less and they give you a great all-around workout in a short amount of time. I do them in my family room or in the garage. The walking at lunch is great and if you did a 30 minute workout every other day, I think that would be a great workout routine.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have lifted many a weight at 9 p.m., or have just done bodyweight exercises and plyometrics (jumping squats, jumping lunges, etc.) while watching TV. (I am obviously a confirmed night owl, love working out, and don't have any issues falling asleep after a protein shake and hot bath...but these days I mainly lift over lunch at my workplace gym...you really have to be motivated to lift at 9).

If people won't think you are crazy, you can make your lunch time walk more intensive by throwing in tricep dips on a bench, box jumps or step-ups on a step or bench, squats and lunges, push-ups against a wall or bench, etc. You can also do the same thing at the playground if your little one is old enough (also, climbing monkey bars and rock walls), and/or if still in a stroller, invest in a jogging stroller and combine light jogging and brisk walking, or look into C25K.

My older kids love playing tag with me, or run a "mommy boot camp" in which I have to crawl through tunnels, climb ropes, do winds sprints, push ups or jumping jacks, whatever, at their command. Now THAT is a workout.

A bike trailer is another fantastic option--such an excellent workout, fun for an adult, and sheer joy even when a kid is 5 or 6 years old. I didn't start on MFP till my "baby" was 6 and riding his own bike, and really regret the workout I missed by having my husband tow the kids.

I also do extensive gardening at several sites, so don't forget that there is a lot of functional, useful activity that provides an excellent workout along with, in this case, excellent nutrition.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I am a single mommy and work full time. I use my lunch hour to run, but I have access to a shower at work too. If I can't make that work I work out after bedtime. Some people have suggested that working out late prevents them from sleeping well but this has never been the case for me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Gah. 4:30 is sleeping in for me. :D 3:30 to get to the gym and get my workout done before I have to be to work at 7:00.
  • HockeyWifey
    HockeyWifey Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Gah. 4:30 is sleeping in for me. :D 3:30 to get to the gym and get my workout done before I have to be to work at 7:00.

Oh my goodness! What time do you go to sleep at night?! lol I really wish I could push myself.. I get up at 6am to take care of my 1 year old and get ready for work at 8am, and I feel sluggish as all heck!
  • Rosiev2014
    Rosiev2014 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have an exercise bike and cycle after kiddies are in bed.
  • SpirituallyBlonde
    Options

I don't understand you..... There is a 3.30am...?