Hypothyroid and weight loss

Options
Hey everyone! First I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and/or respond. So in 2012 I lost 40lbs in about 8 months. I wasn't tracking my nutrition diligently, but I was making more health conscious choices and I hired a personal trainer who put me on a strength training regimen. Then I met my husband, life happened, and now 5 years and 2 kids later here I am at the heaviest I have ever been. Here is the kicker though, about a year ago I had bloodwork done that revealed hypothyroidism. Which explains why following the different beachbody programs as well as the meal plans they offer wasn't working for me. So I have decided to start back up on the weight training again bc that has offered the best results for me in the past. But I would really like to hear from others with hypothyroidism on what meal plans/eating plans/diet lifestyles have worked to drop the most weight and keep it off, or simply what has given the best results. I am interested in learning more about Keto and if anyone with hypothyroid has had results with it. I have been eating clean and following the appropriate containers and working out and yet I am seeing no progress or results. I am beyond frustrated but I refuse to give up.

Replies

• Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi @cbetz08! You mention being diagnosed a year ago, but don't follow up on that in your post. Are you on synthroid/levothyroxine? If so, how much? Is that dose working for you? Have your levels stabilized?

That's the main question in my mind because once you're on the right dosage, hypothyroidism is basically a non-issue.

Just so you know where I'm coming from: I was diagnosed as a teenager and have been on the med ever since. I have a really good feel for how my body should feel when the dosage is right. It was perfectly level over the past 10 years, when I've been both at my highest (105 kg in 2013) and my lowest (78.8 kg this year). Neither of those had anything to do with hypothyroidism: in 2013 I was simply eating too many calories, and now I'm not ;-)
  • cbetz08
    cbetz08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying. So to follow up on that diagnosis, it took about 6 months to figure out the right dosage for synthroid. I am currently on 100mcg of synthroid and I will have my levels rechecked next week and go from there. But since the diagnosis I am continuing to slowly gain despite monitoring my calorie intake, working out, and eating 90% clean or better. I have tried different calorie goals and no matter what nothing changes but my weight is still slowly creeping up.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    How are you monitoring your calorie intake - are you weighing or are you estimating? Are you eating back calories from exercise, if so how are you determining the burns?

It really does come down to CI<CO.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    eating "clean" doesn't mean a thing if you are exceeding your calories out - @CSARdiver can talk more the science, but hypothyroid only has a minimal impact on REE (resting energy expenditure) to the tune of about 100cal a day (if that, I think its lower).

however, I've seen some research that has a linkage of high fat/low carb diets to an increase in TSH levels (but its not been definitatively linked)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Do you know your results and did you get a full thyroid panel? TSH (0.2-2.0, fT3, fT4, rT3

Thyroid has a minimal impact on Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) ~5% and that's worst case going from a treated patient to no supplementation.

What matters is that you maintain a calorie deficit. Look to your logging, ensure you are weighing everything. Check the stickies, open your diary and have someone experienced review this with you.

There is nothing magical about Keto - it's just another tactic to achieve a calorie deficit. I don't recommend going on any restrictive diet you don't see yourself doing for the rest of your life, because that is what it takes to succeed. Make small changes - these have a dramatic impact over time.

I had a total thyroidectomy in 2000 - put on ~70 lbs over the next 14 years. This had nothing to do with my lack of thyroid - I transitioned from a high active military career to a cushy civilian job in academia. I discovered MFP in 2014 after my wife used this to lose the baby weight from our 3rd kid. I lost 60 lbs in the first year through a safe and moderate diet and exercise.
  • cbetz08
    Options
    I know I am at a calorie deficit. I was using beachbody meal plans and workout programs in combination with a moderately active lifestyle. I tried the container count that I was supposedly calculated for, I found it to be too high so I dropped down to the next level down container level. Again to see no results at all. I am having my levels rechecked next week to see where everything is at again.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I recommend you read these - a great collection of some of the most valuable wisdom on MFP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    those beachbody containers aren't good for measuring food - you NEED to measure your food to make sure you are at a deficit
  • cbetz08
    Options
    DeAnnalfisher I'm not really sure what you mean by i need to measure my food bc yes I was using the containers but I was also figuring the calorie counts when I did it to make sure it was matching up. Like I said I was still at a deficient of 500-800 calories on different days. Which again is why I think the thyroid plays a part whether my levels are stable or not. Especially considering my past history of being able to lose 40 lbs in 8 months fairly easily before the thyroid condition. And since the thyroid condition developed nothing I am doing has produced any results at all despite consistency, measuring and counting.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I never used Beachbody because I like to cook and I like the freedom of being able to eat whatever I want and still lose weight.

I've been on Levothyroxine for 25 years. I lost 70+ pounds ten years ago, putting me at 5'7" 140 pounds. I've kept my weight stable since and all I've used is calorie counting on this site.

It takes some experimentation and good record keeping and time - but nothing else. I ate at the default macros when I was losing, and now that I'm in maintenance I find that I eat a bit higher in fat and a bit lower in carbs - but not like KETO numbers.

The only thing you need is good record keeping and the ability to have patience with the process. It took me nine months to lose the first 60 pounds and then a few months more for that last 10-15. I adjusted my intake slightly a few times, but mostly I lost at the rate MyFitnessPal suggested and at the calorie level suggested.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    what I'm saying is the amount of food you can fit in one of those container is variable and just because you think you are eating a certain amount doesn't mean that you are - you need to get a food scale and weigh your food (for example, if you put an apple into a container - how do you know if that is 50g or 80g of apple - you could have a wide variation on any given day of calories)
  • SherThel19
    SherThel19 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just joined yesterday so forgive me as I try to figure this out.
    My story is similar. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and had my gland completely removed at the age of 13. I'm now 28. Weight has always been an issue and fluctuates frequently. I have every size in my closet!
    Exercise and caloric intake does make a huge difference. However, Synthroid is just as vital.
    Do not become discouraged. WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER
  • cbetz08
    Options
    SherThel19! Thank you for the encouragement
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    @cbetz08 You got some great responses on here that are really the key to it all: make sure you're taking the right dosage, take it faithfully, weigh and log all your food accurately and eat at a caloric deficit. That's it! Wish you all the best! <3
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've recently been diagnosed with Hashimotos and hypothyroidism after gaining 30lbs in 3 months with no change to diet and exercise . Thyroid has a major part to do with metabolism! Yes weight loss is still calories in versus calories out but which hypothyroidism and levels that are not optimal while others may burn 1900 calories a day you may only be burning 900 calories. So to lose weight you need to eat under that, HOWEVER that is NOT healthy! This is why it's sometimes better for our minds to just eat as healthy as we can and exercise regularly and eventually your medication dosage will help you lose weight.... have they also checked your glucose levels? Many times insulin resistance goes along with hypothyroidism
  • fit_finesse92
    fit_finesse92 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and pcos with insulin resistance. I also take synthroid and i have lost 38 pounds. Make sure you also get plenty of rest and try to de stress and much as possible. Stress was one of the main factors that always hindered my weight loss despite eating healthy and exercising. Once i started making sure that i get at least 7 hours of sleep (most nights), removed as much negativity from my life as possible, plus staying within my calorie limit and increasing my activity level the weight started to come off. I'm a full time working mom to a 3 yo and 1 yo.
    I hope the best for you! If you would like you could add me! :)
  • lisa_swims
    lisa_swims Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If your levels are normal and you still continue to gain/cannot loose then ask about adding a small dose of Cytomel or T3.

(I found keeping my goals to stick with my goals like calories and fitness time vs the scale helps me stay compliant.)

• GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I couldn't lose weight with just "trying" to restrict calories. Hypo increases appetite and makes you fatigued which makes it hard to control eating. Can it be done? Yes. Hard doesn't mean impossible. But I found the Ketogenic diet and I actually don't feel as hungry on it as I did trying other methods. It also has given me more energy. Keto is good for controlling autoimmune diseases. However, if you enjoy carbs too much to even consider it, just count calories. I lost 20 lbs in two months so far on keto.
  • cbetz08
    Options
    jamie31 wrote: »
    I've recently been diagnosed with Hashimotos and hypothyroidism after gaining 30lbs in 3 months with no change to diet and exercise . Thyroid has a major part to do with metabolism! Yes weight loss is still calories in versus calories out but which hypothyroidism and levels that are not optimal while others may burn 1900 calories a day you may only be burning 900 calories. So to lose weight you need to eat under that, HOWEVER that is NOT healthy! This is why it's sometimes better for our minds to just eat as healthy as we can and exercise regularly and eventually your medication dosage will help you lose weight.... have they also checked your glucose levels? Many times insulin resistance goes along with hypothyroidism

Thank you for pointing this out! I always get so frustrated when people say 'just restrict your calories and stay active'. I'm sorry but it's not that simple when you have thyroid issues. I did and would see no results in months at a time. I would adjust and still not see results.
    Yes I just had blood work done to check insulin resistance as well as check my dosage and all were within normal ranges.
    So for now just back to the grind
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    A digital food scale that weighs in grams is essential. As is weighing all solid food and accurately measuring calorie dense liquids. Finding accurate records in the database takes practice too.

Even if your meds are balanced, you must also measure your food accurately.