Vegan Protein: Soy vs. Hemp

Options
I just bought some Hemp Protein Powder from Trader Joe's, I have heard that Hemp Powder is a better source than Soy... although I checked the nutrition and the Soy Powder had like, 3x the Protein almost... I wonder maybe if Soy is better for gaining weight? Or maybe it's the supposed "hormone problems" that can come from too much Soy...

... Anyway, my question is does anyone know if I made the right choice by going with Hemp Protein Powder over Soy to mix with juice for a post workout drink? Hemp has 9g protein per serving, plus I usually et half of a Clif Protein Builder's Bar as well, and I don't have trouble getting enough protein in my daily diet, so do we think Hemp will prove a helpful supplement for building and toning lean muscle and keeping in shape?

Replies

• ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Hemp is a much better choice. Soy is very hard for the body to digest and it is hard to say if you would even absorb all that protein you are consuming. The protein shakes that have a crazy amount of protein are over kill. The body can not absorb that much at a time and it is hard on the body.
  • divamom0122
    Options
    From what I understand, hemp has many other benefits other than the high, totally balanced protein content. I have been taking hemp seed, hemp protein and hemp milk and my health has improved drastically. Good stuff!!!
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Soy and Hemp are considered complete protein sources but soy has higher percentages of protein in it. Since you are tracking your protein and are getting enough with either the hemp or soy, either is good.
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Soy has high amounts of estrogen. So men..watch out o_o
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Soy only looks similar to the compound of estrogen in the body. It is not estrogen, just looks like it (chemically). So it can influence some of your reproductive functions, but not dramatically.

Anyways, hemp is wonderful because it is from a seed. Naturally, you're going to get some VIT E and Omega fatty acids in there, which help to regulate brain function, enzymatic processes like digestion and metabolism, ect. I love my hemp protein, but I get it with fiber because I find that upping the intake of protein tends to erm.. slow down the bathroom trips.
    Also, one thing to be wary of is that hemp DOES contain high amounts of antioxidant and repairing properties YET not everyone can extract them from the seed.
    Look at it this way.. your body has to not only move this stuff through your system but also dissolve it away? it's not a water-soluble fiber so it takes a little bit of work. Hopefully your hemp is already split or milled to be pre-digested so your body can extract the protein... otherwise you are getting a lower amount. The company only has to market how much is chemically in the food, not how much you will absorb. Try taking it with some vitamin C or some acid to up the chances of absorbing all the great stuff that hemp has to offer.
  • wellnesscoachmegg
    wellnesscoachmegg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My vote would be for hemp, purely based on the fact that most soy if not all in the US is GMO (genetically modifed). Just something to consider!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I vote for hemp. I try not to have too much soy in my diet. The one I'm currently using by Biochem that has pea protein, cranberry protein, and hemp seed protein. :smile:
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    have to join in the vote for hemp. I used to take the trader joe's hemp but now found another vegan protein powder that my body likes even better: www.plantfusion.net.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    The one I plan on buying next since it looked the most nutritionally balanced is a blend of pea, cranberry, brown rice, and hemp.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Hemp is great, but you should check out Pea Protein, too!
  • presentlaughter
    presentlaughter Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You guys all rock, thanks a million!!!
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I bought hemp today for the first time. I love the omega 3/6/9s in there!

I think I'll rotate between hemp, brown rice and pea just for balance but I'm pretty impressed with the hemp. I'll have to check trader joe's for it the next time I'm there!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Hemp is great, but you should check out Pea Protein, too!

I read this as PEE and thought about HGC? and was confused.

I have a soy allergy and I really like the hemp protein powder I've used.
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just this morning I just tried a protein powder that was really yummy - it's a blend of hemp, pea, alfalfa, and brown rice protein. (it has spirulina too, not sure if this is part of the protein.) It's called "Vega Sport Natural Plant Based Performance Protein." I think it's my fave now. It has 20 grams of protein per serving. I just started experimenting with protein powder drinks and I didn't know about the "too much is hard to digest" thing!
  • ladybug11
    ladybug11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I found a great Pea Protein at www.trueprotein.com. It blends very well and comes in a huge variety of flavors. I like Banana Cream. You can also add vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, stevia, etc. (all extra $, of course). You order by the pound, which makes it a great way to try something before committing to a large quantity.
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    I bought some Pea Protein http://www.getprice.com.au/Vital-Greens-Phyto-Protein-Pea-Protein-Isolate-1kg-Unflavoured-Gpnc_631--53210052.htm...
    I really like the flavour of this one too!:)

I haven't seen too many vegan proteins in Australia. Not sure if we even get Hemp protein. What does it taste like?