Logging bacon?

Options
jdlobb
jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
I just fried 2 strips of bacon, then fried a chicken breast in the same pan. How would you log the additional fat from the bacon? I added 2tsp of "Animal fat, bacon grease" to my meal log. Does this seem reasonable?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    The bacon fat is already included when you log bacon. It doesn't come from nowhere; it's part of the meat.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    Small addition. The bacon itself came out to exactly the cooked weight listed on the package, 2 strips for 14g, so I just logged it as normal. Not sure if relevant.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's cooked weight listed on the package? If so, your best bet is to log it raw, not cooked -- that way the fat is already accounted for and you don't have to guess whether your cooking method affected the weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,088 Member
    Options
    I use bacon fat for lots of cooking. I just log it like any oils. So yummy. You did what I do. :)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Contrary to other meats, bacon usually has the cooked nutritional information on the package so that's with the fat drained off. If you drained the pan before cooking the chicken, then adding a couple tsps, like you did, makes sense. It's probably more than you need but better than under.
  • SkipperCami
    SkipperCami Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My suggestion is next time to take the bacon fat out of the pan (I use cast iron pan so whipping is easy) then add a little back in and log it that way. I think you would have more control as to how much you are using. If you just use what is left on the bottom after draining it out, you would have a grilled/fried type chicken, maybe not what you are looking for but healthier? Good luck!
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Didn't consider it. I usually don't log the grease I cook in unless I use a tablespoon+ of butter or coconut oil
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    Canadian bacon is the best. but you know that.
  • jdlobb
    Options

Canadian bacon is fine on it's own. But it's terrible for use as a topping, which is how I usually use bacon. Today was grilled chicken with bacon, cheddar, and avocado on top.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Ummm wouldn't the calories from the fat already be included in your bacon entry? I'm confused
  • kami3006
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Ummm wouldn't the calories from the fat already be included in your bacon entry? I'm confused

Bacon usually lists cooked nutritional info so it would be with the fat drained off.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Bacon usually lists cooked nutritional info so it would be with the fat drained off.

Well that's some *kitten*
  • jdlobb
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Well that's some *kitten*

Good thing too. The packaging for my bacon called for 14g a serving. But weighing 2 slices uncooked came out to about 40g.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    In Canada, our bacon nutritional info is for raw weight.
  • kami3006
    edited September 2017
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    In Canada, our bacon nutritional info is for raw weight.

Yeah, some brands in the US use raw as well but I haven't seen it much. Not to mention, this being an international site, when folks say bacon they can mean different cuts of meat. For some bacon is back bacon or "Canadian Bacon" and for others, like the OP, it's pork belly.
  • nicci288693
    nicci288693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

Canadian bacon is fine on it's own. But it's terrible for use as a topping, which is how I usually use bacon. Today was grilled chicken with bacon, cheddar, and avocado on top.

Yumm! Thanks for the dinner idea :)
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    In the US, the Calorie and nutrition information on the package label for raw bacon are for fully cooked slice or 2 slices. The raw weight of a normal slice of bacon is 1 ounce (28g). After cooking and releasing its fat and water content, the average weight for one pan-fried slice is 11.5g cooked, for microwaved 9.1g, and for baked 8.1g.

Thick-cut bacon slices will of course have higher Calories and nutrients.

The syntax for locating the MFP database item imported from the USDA database for bacon fat is "Pork, bacon, rendered fat, cooked."
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I always pour my bacon grease into a container and save it- like a good southerner ;)
    When I do use it, I weigh it out and log it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,013 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    In the US, the Calorie and nutrition information on the package label for raw bacon are for fully cooked slice or 2 slices. The raw weight of a normal slice of bacon is 1 ounce (28g). After cooking and releasing its fat and water content, the average weight for one pan-fried slice is 11.5g cooked, for microwaved 9.1g, and for baked 8.1g.

Thick-cut bacon slices will of course have higher Calories and nutrients.

The syntax for locating the MFP database item imported from the USDA database for bacon fat is "Pork, bacon, rendered fat, cooked."

I use Animal fat, bacon grease

Wouldn't you have to keep cooking the leftover fat for a significant amount of time beyond what it takes to get the bacon crispy to have rendered fat? I just let the pan cool a bit after I cook the bacon (but not so much that the fat congeals again), pour it into a small plastic tub that once held onion dip, and stick it in the refrigerator. It keeps fine for a long time (months and months) that way.

[Goes away to check USDA nutrient database.]

Doesn't seem to make much difference which entry one uses. The rendered fat has 898 calories per 100 grams, compared to 897 for the bacon grease, and .07 g protein per 100 g, compared to none for the bacon grease, and you get trace amounts of some vitamins and minerals in the rendered fat than you don't get in the bacon grease (presumably comes with the trace of protein).