I need ideas for work lunches...

Options
Please note- I don't eat Tuna, Mayo, Pork, and I refuse to use disgusting work microwaves to warm up anything. With that being said, what ideas can you suggest that I can bring to work that will be filling and not cost a ton of $$$? Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? Deli Meat sandwiches? Any other suggestions or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just bring leftovers from dinner. If we don't have any then a sandwich. Although if you don't want to use a microwave then I guess some leftovers wouldn't be very good eaten cold
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt with protein powder mixed in, cold leftovers (e.g., chicken and couscous), boiled eggs, raw veggies/fruit, cold baked sweet potato, and Crispix.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a chicken wrap kick. Smoke several chicken breasts with Jamaican jerk seasoning on Sunday. Use throughout the week in a low cal tortilla with some greens and a laughing cow asiago cheese wedge spread on the tortilla. I don't refrigerate them, and they keep fine until lunch.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese - fruit - veggie side - whole grain crackers

Hummus with pita chips and veggie dippers. Fruit.

Oscar Meyer Lunchables - snap peas - fruit

Google mason jar salad. I grill up a bunch of chicken on Sunday & use it during the week.

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Lunchables for grownups:

menu_plate_wine_salame.ashx

Oh wait, that's probably pork.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Salad with a protein is always a good choice
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    So many options!

- Salad with protein (as mentioned above). I like to buy a rotisserie chicken, take it home, and toss that on salad all week, as well as use for dinners.
    - Greek yogurt with berries, almonds, chia seeds, and rolled oats
    - Leftovers (I, for one, love cold spaghetti)
    - Get a bento box and just put whatever you like to eat in there. It doesn't have to be a big production, just eat whatever you fancy. It's basically a grown-up Lunchables option. Ideas: smoked meats, fancy cheeses, dried fruit, nuts, hard boiled eggs, whole grain crackers, beans with olive oil and salt, any veggies, any fruit, pickles, etc.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you like salads loik up how to make salads in mason jars,
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I recently bought Almond butter. Delicious. Not even close to peanut butter. Try that for variety? Don't add the jelly (it won't need it).
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I mostly did salads. A coworker would bring cut up vegetables and ranch to dip. Another brought cold pizza in on a regular basis. We also worked within walking distance to Little Caesars - $5 for a pizza is pretty cheap.

Sometimes I would just eat a protein bar and drink lots of coffee. Especially if I didn't have anything on hand to pack for lunch.
  • Ronjones242
    Ronjones242 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I take lunches on occasion. I like refrigerator oatmeal with frozen fruit and chia seeds. Sometimes I flavor with PB2 (dried peanut butter). Also tuna canned in water with a couple of slices of multigrain bread, and some veggies cut small.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely lazy when it comes to making lunch. I used to be better and bring combos like beans with chicken and veg. Now I bring something like this

2 hardboiled eggs, an apple, baby carrots
    protein bar, beef jerky, apple
    pre cooked chicken, chips, celery
    canned soup (eat it cold) and celery
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Use your imagination as far as what you eat if you're not a picky eater the sky's the limit.
    I normally do leftovers. I'm the kind of person who can eat cold leftovers really doesn't bother me I'm not really big on hot foods.

Yogurt
    Soup
    Chicken
    Salads

If you don't have or don't want to spend a lot of money it's just a matter of preparing your food the night before and bring it in it in
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I make egg salad without mayo often. 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp mustard, dash lime juice, dash of salt-free seasoning (I use Mrs. Dash Fiesta one most often). I'll eat it in a tortilla wrap or on a sandwich thin with spinach.

You could make your own healthy Lunchable. Lunchmeat, cheese, nuts, veggies...just a bunch of snacky-type things.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is good cold - you can make a bowl with veggies, dressing, and the protein of your choice if salads aren't quite filling enough for you. Lots of good pasta salad type dishes too - instead of mayo use a vinaigrette.
  • abby2570
    abby2570 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Homemade soup in a thermos.
    Rotisserie chicken
    Salad...with the above