Arching for One Rep Max

Options
I see a lot of arching of the spine when some try to achieve a one rep max. How is this on the body and especially the spine? It looks like it could induce back problems. How much does it aid the total lift? I imagine some 10% to 20% cause the depth is much less when compared to when flat on the bench. I know when you struggle to get the last rep up it helps a ton to arch a bit in this manner. Just curious

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Do you mean how powerlifters lift?
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    Options
    I do 4 bench press it helps alot
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of arching of the spine when some try to achieve a one rep max. How is this on the body and especially the spine? It looks like it could induce back problems. How much does it aid the total lift? I imagine some 10% to 20% cause the depth is much less when compared to when flat on the bench. I know when you struggle to get the last rep up it helps a ton to arch a bit in this manner. Just curious

It's just a technique powerlifters use to shorten range of motion for the most part. It's not bad for the spine or does it induce back problems because when done correctly, the body is tight therefore bracing the spine. It can improve the weight lifted because it literally puts the body/shoulders in a decline position which is usually stronger and more efficient.

It's unnecessary if you aren't competing at least the extreme arch I assume you are referring to.
  • OrdinaryDude300
    OrdinaryDude300 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Recently tired to arch to help to increase one rep max and it certainly does do that. Then this guy comes to me about careful how i do that and said better i stay flat to not injure by back. Then i see power lifters using this all the time. So a bit confusing it. Found it makes a significant dfference in one rep max though.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Recently tired to arch to help to increase one rep max and it certainly does do that. Then this guy comes to me about careful how i do that and said better i stay flat to not injure by back. Then i see power lifters using this all the time. So a bit confusing it. Found it makes a significant dfference in one rep max though.

There's a really good chance you weren't doing it right. If you have no practice doing it and you're just trying it for a 1RM you could injure your back.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I arch just enough to slide my hand under my back. It takes pressure off of your shoulders, and gives you a better power base. Look up AthleneX on You Tube. He explains the science.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    when i bench, i'm not "arching my back" but rather an arch is created when i set up for the lift and engage my body and legs. You don't just lay on the bench and arch your back.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    When I started pulling my shoulder blades together and arching my back while benching, I stopped injuring my shoulders. I'm old and way more concerned about preventing injury than 1RM lifts.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    FWIW, unless you're a competitive power lifter, there's no need/reason (other than ego) to attempt an actual 1RM max lift.

Doing so at heavier weights (whether using proper form or not) subjects you to the serious risk of injury. So, I have not tried an actual 1RM for sometime.

What I do instead is use a lift calculator to estimate my 1RM based on the reps and weights used and I measure my progress by whether the calculated 1RM is increasing or not.

This allows me to used varied set/rep schemes w/lower weights, which helps to break thru plateaus and to reduce the risk of injury by using lower weights.

Lift calculators differ in the algorithms they use but that doesn't matter as long as you use the same one to track your progress overtime.

However, if you use the calculator on StrengthLevels.com, you can also compare your lifting ability w/other people of the same age, sex and weight, which is a much better way to judge your strength than just using the total weight lifted for comparison.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    FWIW, unless you're a competitive power lifter, there's no need/reason (other than ego) to attempt an actual 1RM max lift.

Doing so at heavier weights (whether using proper form or not) subjects you to the serious risk of injury. So, I have not tried an actual 1RM for sometime.

What I do instead is use a lift calculator to estimate my 1RM based on the reps and weights used and I measure my progress by whether the calculated 1RM is increasing or not.

This allows me to used varied set/rep schemes w/lower weights, which helps to break thru plateaus and to reduce the risk of injury by using lower weights.

Lift calculators differ in the algorithms they use but that doesn't matter as long as you use the same one to track your progress overtime.

However, if you use the calculator on StrengthLevels.com, you can also compare your lifting ability w/other people of the same age, sex and weight, which is a much better way to judge your strength than just using the total weight lifted for comparison.

I have found most 1RM calculators are *kitten*. You can get hurt doing squats, bench, deadlift, etc. Rather you are doing a 1RM or not.
  • SonyaCele
    Options

what about just for fun?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Pls note - Lifting your butt up when the weight is too heavy /= arching for technique
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    when i bench, i'm not "arching my back" but rather an arch is created when i set up for the lift and engage my body and legs. You don't just lay on the bench and arch your back.

This, all day...errrday

This is my set up whether I'm benching just the bar for warmups or doing my 1RM or overload training.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I have found most 1RM calculators are *kitten*. You can get hurt doing squats, bench, deadlift, etc. Rather you are doing a 1RM or not.

If you mean, "most 1RM calculators are" inaccurate, it doesn't matter because what your absolute 1RM is doesn't really matter in terms of measuring your progress. All that matters is that you use the same calculator so that the measurements are consistent.

As for getting hurt, I think you missed the point. Of course, you can get hurt doing any lift at any weight, especially if your form is off, BUT the likelihood of getting hurt increases dramatically w/the weight lifted, especially if your form is off.

By way of example, my calculated 1RM for the DL is currently 427 which I last did by knocking out 5 sets of 10x320. I can do a DL at 320 (over 2x's my BW) with ease and w/o any risk of injury (but of course I had to work my way up to it).

According to the Strength Level, a calculated 1RM of 427 in the DL puts me at the "elite" level for men of my age (66) and weight (158) and ranks me at 99.8% than other men in my class.

Can I actually do a 427 DL?. No way! My last true 1RM was 360 and I almost fainted doing it - - and I would never claim that I can do anything more than 360 (although I probably could now) but that doesn't matter.

What matters is that: 1) my calculated 1RM and my strength continues to rise and 2) the knowledge that what I am doing ranks me at the top of men in my age and weight group, which eliminates any pressure (internal or external) to risk injury in order to prove that I can do more.

Of course, I'm much older than most people here and I no longer feel any need to "prove" anything to myself or others, not that I ever actually did.

If you feel that need or just think it's FUN to lift a max 1RM, go for it!

I'm only suggesting the use of the calculated 1RM instead in order to avoid the added risk of injury doing that while still being able to measure your strength development in the process.

Ciao!
  • SonyaCele
    Options

If you feel that need or just think it's FUN to lift a max 1RM, go for it!

yessssss. adrenaline and endorphins.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    My arch just kinda happens when I focus on shoulder stability and overall getting tight. If anything, I focus on keeping it where I get maximal shoulder stability, not the highest arch.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Can get hurt doing just about anything.

1rm work is difficult for me as I train solo. I do it sometime for deadlifts and squats but not ever really for bench. Still every bench I do from bar only warm up set to 3rm sets I set up the same. It has a small arch with *kitten* on bench and "screwing in" my shoulders. I try to train like it's a meet lift on every rep. Sure I mess up form sometimes but constantly working on form is one of the fun things with lifting.