Charm City Run?! Race training?!

Realize this a long shot, but has anyone used Charm City Run for race training?

I am signed up for the Across the Bay 10k in Nov and Charm City Run is the "official training company" of the run. While I'm not local, I do like the idea of connecting with other runners that will be doing this race virtually. (If you sign up for the virtual training, you connect on Facebook and work with a trainer via an app). I have signed up with a couple friends, but they are slowly backing out so I'd like to be familiar with others that will be there. However, I really don't want to waste my money.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I heard good things about it from others who have used it - they have a store in Annapolis that you can visit
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    I heard good things about it from others who have used it - they have a store in Annapolis that you can visit

Thanks. I wish I was close enough to run with the groups in their cities, but I'm in Pennsylvania. It would def be worth it for me if I was close because they are doing training runs twice a week. The virtual option makes me a little nervous. I am also worried about the nutrition advice that they will give according to the program. Before I was trying to run, I did many cycling events. I understand the importance of fueling a workout, but I also still want to lose weight. I just hope they get that...
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    I'm not familiar with them but if you can't join them (or find anyone else running the race), see if there is a running group or a decent running store that offers training in your area. There are tons of resources in Central PA - not sure about other areas. If not, there's many online training communities you can join. One, Marathon Training Academy, is PA based (just moved from Mississippi to Carlisle).

Good luck with the race.
  • PennStateChick
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with them but if you can't join them (or find anyone else running the race), see if there is a running group or a decent running store that offers training in your area. There are tons of resources in Central PA - not sure about other areas. If not, there's many online training communities you can join. One, Marathon Training Academy, is PA based (just moved from Mississippi to Carlisle).

Good luck with the race.

There is a local running group where I live that I could join. But part of the reason I am considering the virtual option is bc my entire group would be training for the same race that I am doing. I guess I need to decide tomorrow though bc training starts in Sat (which is great since I'm running a 5k in Williamsport).

PS I used to work in Carlisle (and all over South Central PA- Cumberland, Dauphon, Lebanon, York). I live quite a bit north of there, but missing being down there all the time.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Charm city run is awesome . I often go to their Thursday night runs.
    However, I don't know how valuable virtual training is. I have never done virtual training. It seems to me no different than any other bridge to 10k program.
    On the other hand across the bay 10k sounds awesome. I didn't expect to be ready for that one so doing Annapolis 10k in November.
  • PennStateChick
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Charm city run is awesome . I often go to their Thursday night runs.
    However, I don't know how valuable virtual training is. I have never done virtual training. It seems to me no different than any other bridge to 10k program.
    On the other hand across the bay 10k sounds awesome. I didn't expect to be ready for that one so doing Annapolis 10k in November.

Yea.. I am ridiculously excited (and nervous). I do want to be able to run the whole thing.. but I'm not going to miss a chance to take a few pictures from the bridge!
  • ellpeps
    ellpeps Posts: 1 Member
    Hi all! Thanks for all the feedback. I work for Charm City Run so just wanted to pop in and say hello! We regularly run training programs out of all our stores but the Across the Bay 10K group is our first go at an additional virtual option. There is still time to join to prepare for the race and if you have any additional questions/concerns, I am happy to connect you with our amazing coach, Dawn! You can email her at dawn@charmcityrun.com. Happy running!