Hello! Arthritis in feet.

Options
Hi All,

I need to lose about 50 lbs, 70 is preferred. I'm going to turn 40 in January, so I want to lose some by then. I can only swim and walk 10 min at a time on the treadmill due to bad arthritis in my feet. I water jog 3x a week, but am going to try and start going every day, I really love it, and although I haven't lost that much weight doing it, I htink my body is toner, and my posture is better, and I look like I've lost weight even though I haven't.

Anyone else here exercise with Arthritis?

Also, I'm not a very good dieter, but I think if I start writing down what I eat, I'll be better about everything.

Oh and I did give up Diet soda a few months ago, I think my skin looks better if nothing else.:laugh:

Replies

• darlenewanamaker
    darlenewanamaker Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I need to lose about 50 lbs, 70 is preferred. I'm going to turn 40 in January, so I want to lose some by then. I can only swim and walk 10 min at a time on the treadmill due to bad arthritis in my feet. I water jog 3x a week, but am going to try and start going every day, I really love it, and although I haven't lost that much weight doing it, I htink my body is toner, and my posture is better, and I look like I've lost weight even though I haven't.

Anyone else here exercise with Arthritis?

Also, I'm not a very good dieter, but I think if I start writing down what I eat, I'll be better about everything.

Oh and I did give up Diet soda a few months ago, I think my skin looks better if nothing else.:laugh:
  • darlenewanamaker
    darlenewanamaker Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    OOps sorry I had arthritis in my feet, fingers, neck shoulders that are a reminder everyday, just kniw that I lost 19 walking, riding bike I have no problems in my other joints now just my left middle, ring and pinky finger.. Good luck !! add me as a friend if you want..
  • Kmdforsythe
    Kmdforsythe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great for your body, it works a wide variety of your muscles and it is low impact. If you are not a great swimmer, you can always just hold onto a kick board, it is a great leg workout! They have floats that you can put between your legs too if your feet are bothering you and you just want to work on your upper body.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've had trouble with arthritis, and various joint problems in my hips, knees and feet. I remember the point where I could only do 10 mins max on a treadmill. Now I've been working hard at strengthening muscles, and joint problems are bothering me less, I sometimes manage to stay for a whole 25 mins on a treadmill! When I have bad feet, I find using a rower is easier. Unfortunately swimming is not good for my loose knee, it stretches the joint out too much ( it's prone to dislocating).

I also found pilates to be very good for all my joints, but I know my teacher is very good at working with health issues.