Leading Ladies Challenge - Week 1 - (Closed Group)

Options
Good morning, Leading Ladies!!

I hope you're all ready for 9 weeks of hard work!

Today is the first day of August so let's all take a second to think hard about where we want to be on the LAST day of August. Do you want to be 6 pounds lighter? Be able to lift the next size up in dumbells? Do 10 more push ups than you can do now? Add a mile to your run? Think about what you want and how you plan on achieving it.

There is one participant whose starting weight I don't have yet, but with 12 of us having weighed in, we cumulatively weigh 2093.2 pounds!! Each week I'll post our cumulative weight as well as who lost the most that week and who's lost the most so far.

I want you to use this space to share... well, everything. Did you have a personal best in one of your workouts? We want to know about it. Did you say no thank you to a food you usually cave in to? We want to know. Struggling with something in particular and need some support or advice? We want to know! ... you get it. :)

Remember, this post doesn't say CHALLENGE in the title for no reason! I want you all to push yourselves just a little bit harder in these next 9 weeks than you have before. We all have our obstacles, take these 9 weeks to identify them and come up with real life solutions that will translate into YOU GETTING WHAT YOU CAME FOR!

This space is also for Question(s) of the Day. Answer as many as you can!

Today's QOTD: What is the biggest obstacle to your weightloss right now? What's standing in your way? AND how are you going to work around that obstacle for the next 9 weeks? Will you find a way to exercise indoors because it's too hot outside? Will you ask your loved ones to be aware of your efforts so they can be sure to support you too?

I look forward to seeing all of your awesome responses! :)

Samantha

Replies

• mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

So glad we are doing this challenge together!

My biggest obstacle is that I have no exercise routine. I follow one for awhile but then I usually aggravate an old injury and then it takes forever to get back into a routine (i have injuries to my back, knee, ankle and rotater cuff). One of my goals is to solve this fitness dilemma. Beginning this evening, I'm working with a personal trainer so I am on my way. I've worked with trainers before, but I never clicked with them. I would love to meet a trainer that I can count on to 1) not injure me, 2) keep me motivated, even when I am injured, 3) not talk to everyone else in the gym when they are working with me!

My motivation is humiliation. I finally looked, really looked, in the mirror and was completely humiliated to see a really fat person staring back at me. Since December, I have lost 20 pounds, thirteen of that here on MFP since joining in June.

Best of luck to everyone!

Mary
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    First day of August...

by the last day of this month:
    ~I am going to lose 8+lbs.
    ~I am going to run/jog/walk 35 miles.
    ~I am going to be able to do 30DS-L1 with the 5lb weights!

I struggle with:
    ~eating enough calories
    ~working out throughout the day (typically burn 500 calories within a few hours... often late evening)
    ~eating right when others control the menu

QOTD 8/1:

The biggest obstacle to your weightloss right now? What's standing in your way? AND how are you going to work around that obstacle for the next 9 weeks?

STRESS! Family stuff going on has me on edge and its impacting everything in my life. A phone call can be planned for 10 minutes and turn into an hour - there goes my running time - and I need every penny I can save so I'm hesitant to buy more food even when I know I need more around the house because otherwise there are no calories to eat... you have to eat to lose.

The next 9 weeks are going to be tough. I'm not going to sugar-coat and lie to myself about it. This family stuff is going to explode right in the middle of these 9 weeks. On work days/nights I'm waking at 5a and going to bed at 10-10:30p.

BUT. I WILL be off the phone by 10p every evening. And I WILL eat 3, spaced out, meals every day. And I WILL find a minimum of 45 minutes of 'me' time to exercise each and every day. That's how we're going to survive the next 9 weeks =)

That and some horsey hugs every chance I get.

super happy about this challenge. I'm going to a conference in a week and logging on each morning to answer QOTD's and log my exercise/food is going to keep me focused even as I enjoy my time in KY. thanks for stepping up Samantha!
  • SuperMal
    SuperMal Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm super excited about this challenge and can't wait for the end results!

My goal for August is to lose 10lbs by the 31st and to do a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise a night.

My biggest obstacle is time...I just don't have enough. I work a mon-fri job and own a business which operates on the weekends. I also have 3 handsome boys that keep me super busy, as well as my husband, who like any husband I'm sure, needs my attention and time too.

I plan to overcome this obstacle with doing things that need to be done, no more putting it off and using the excuse I just want to rest today and tomorrow I'll do it. I started a new landscape project and I am going to work on it the evenings when it starts to cool off (our highs here are 109 today, 111 Tuesday, and 112 Wednesday, yeesh). After working on the yard I will swim to cool down and burn a few calories. And, at least 3 times a week I will walk in the evenings.

On those days that its just too hot to be outside I will work on the never ending task of laundry and cleaning. Its time to sort through the kids closet and switch out summer clothes for school uniforms!

I'm so excited and look forward to a healthy change in my life, and yours!
  • Ciarn
    Ciarn Posts: 92
    Options
    My goals for the end of august is to:
    lose 5 or more pounds
    Try to be more active through out the day - the only active thing i do is my workouts
    Stop eating when im full
    Eating enough calories per day
  • ardavis23
    ardavis23 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hey there ALL!
    My starting weight is 140
    My goal by the end of August is 135 ( I know 5 pounds sounds easy but my schedule has just recently change, and now I dont have a much time to my self for work outs! so this will be a challemge for sue!)

good luck to everyone!!!
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get out of the range I have been stuck in for 3 months (128-131 lbs.). I would love to hit 125 by the end of the month. I know it's not too ambitious, but I have been working at getting out of this plateau for a long time.

Today's QOTD: What is the biggest obstacle to your weightloss right now? What's standing in your way? AND how are you going to work around that obstacle for the next 9 weeks? Will you find a way to exercise indoors because it's too hot outside? Will you ask your loved ones to be aware of your efforts so they can be sure to support you too?

My biggest obstacle is my weekends! I finally logged in my calories for the weekend, which I have been avoiding it for a long time. I knew that I splurged on the weekends, but actually seeing how bad.... I was appalled! I killed my calorie limit every single day. We eat out a lot on the weekends, but this was out of control. I think it definitely explains my inability to lose more weight. My husband supports my goal to get healthier but doesn't share the same goal for himself. When it's time to pick dinner, we tend to go to his favorite places which usually includes hamburgers & fries, steaks, and anything fried. I just do not know how to choose something better without eating salads all day long.

I am going to work on finding healthier restaurants to choose from and convincing my husband to eat at home more during the weekend.
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies - great responses so far!!

My thoughts (my apologies if I go all Dr. Phil on you!)....

Mabug - swimming is a great exercise for people with injuries, do you have a pool around? Also, I want you to look in the mirror and tell your reflection I love you (everyone can try this). Then I want you to do it again and again until you mean it. Your humiliation broke my heart and I want you to work on appreciating your body and all it does for you, no matter what size it is. Try to come at weight loss from a perspective where you can say, "I'm bettering my body because I love it and it deserves to be treated well".

Skylar - (Skylar has joined our group as well! Everyone can feel free to friend her.) Family stuff can be so rough since they hold such an important place in our lives. Keep breathing and remember what an amazing de-stresser exercise can be! Congrats on insisting on your me-time. Sounds like you're going to need those endorphins!

SuperMal - sounds like you'll be able to get in your 30 minutes of exercise per night between walking and swimming. And when it's too hot and you're inside maybe make laundry and chores into "power laundry" and "power chores". This is silly, but I "do a little dance" while I'm doing chores. Adds movement and makes it more fun. Find some music that makes you feel good and put it on an ipod or stereo or something. And remember, if your goal is 10 pounds by the 31st that's just over 2 pounds per week! :) You can do it!

Ciarn - You're the second person to say you need to make sure you get enough calories! I have to say... I've never had that problem, lol. If you want to be more active during the day (I don't know where you work obviously) try using the bathroom on a different floor. Even if you only use the rest room twice a day that's still like 40 stairs you wouldn't have otherwise climbed.

Ardavis - Don't apologize for not having much to lose, lol! Losing weight IS hard (otherwise we wouldn't need support or challenges!) and you should be proud of every pound you worked to lose. :) Good luck!

KimAggie - Same to you! Don't trivialize the few pounds you want to lose. If they were easy you would have lost them already! :) When you've lost them you can look back and say damn, I'm awesome for having lost that 5 pounds! It sounds like you've already taken the first step toward conquering your weekends! :) Keep writing down everything you eat, even if you still overindulge it'll probably be less than if you didn't force yourself to write it down. Also, if you have to go to a burger place because that's where your husband wants to go, try eating just the burger and leaving the bun on the plate? Or maybe load it up with veggies so you feel fuller faster or ask them to only bring you half the portion of fries.
  • defygravity531
    Options

My biggest obstacle is my short-sightedness. When I'm feeling snacky, I only focus on that whiny feeling inside calling out for something yummy to eat. (And when I say snack, I really mean meal. My snacks are never appropriate-sized.) I never stop to think about the EFFECTS of that snack. I enjoy my snack in the moment and then I step on the scale and wonder why I'm still 174 pounds! I need to focus more on cause and effect. My goal for this week is to STOP when I see food. Just freeze for a second before my hand automatically reaches out to grab it. If I can STOP and THINK for a few seconds I believe I can make better choices regarding what actually makes it to my mouth by remembering what that snack will add up to on the scale. :)
  • Marsha_S
    Marsha_S Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

The goals I aim to achieve by the end of August are to....
    Lose 5 or more pounds
    Find time to exercise more
    Improve my meal choices.

My biggest obstacles right now (I've got two) are time and exercise restrictions. TIME because I've just started a new job today, full time. Leave home at 7am and I get home after 6pm. Then to see about family dinner, homework etc. I'm so tired tonight I won't be doing any exercise, which I should.

RESTRICTIONS because of my leg & knee injury, I am only able to walk, swim or low impact exercises, therefore harder to burn those calories. I used to be jumping around like a kangaroo before my injury and now I'm walking. Discouraging!

I'm not giving up though, and I need to get out of this plateau of balancing between 142-145lbs. I need to get out of the 140's!!!!! To work around the obstacles I hope to get one swimming session per week and hopefully do an exercise DVD 2-3 times weekly. I've got a 15 minute walk from my car to work each way, so that's a half hour right there. It's a start.
  • LA_proud
    LA_proud Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    First things first...I changed my profile name from fdsnoble to LA_proud. Sorry for any confusion.
    I was born and raised in Louisiana and needed something that was a little more personal. :tongue:

My goal for August is to lose 15 lbs. I have really pumped up the amount of time I spend exercising. It has been easier to do since I work from home.

My biggest challenge will come when school starts back on the 22nd. My daughter starts school and I will be on campus teaching again. I have an hour commute both ways so I will lose about 6 hrs of my day. I am praying that by then I will be in the routine of getting up at least by 6 to get in a good work out before my daughter is up and getting ready for school.

I started JM 30 day shred today as well. But I found it a little difficult to do, because of my knees. I hope I can get the same results by doing the extremely modified version.

Good Luck to everyone!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry I haven't been active so far. I am on vacation visiting my family (who conveniently live in Miami!) so I haven't had much time to do much more than log my food and exercise.

So about me: I was always overweight and one day, sometime in the summer of 2007, decided that I didn't want to anymore so I started working out. 4 years later and many, many up and downs, here I am at 116 pounds. Ideally, I'd like to go down to 105 (since I still have belly fat at a low weight). My main issue has always been portion control with a hint of emotional eating (though both are rather under control now, one thanks to MFP and a supportive husband and the other just because I refuse to go backwards).

Since my weight loss is gonna be so slow, I guess I'll be satisfied if I lose 2 pounds in August.

Other than that, I'm in pretty good shape. I'm a runner and I work out 6 days a week pretty much without fail, and I am currently training for my second half marathon in October. Life is good.

Good luck to eveyone!! :)
  • defygravity531
    Options
    I now have everyone's starting weights and together we weigh 2442.7 pounds!

So it's Tuesday, how's everyone doing with their goals for the week? Drinking water? Working out? Are you on track to come out on top on Monday?

Looking forward to seeing how everyone does! If yesterday wasn't stellar, get back on the horse today!

***Today's question: If you were to give one piece of advice (whether you follow it consistently or not, haha) to someone working on losing weight, what would it be?***
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    Update on goals for the week:

Ran/walked 1.8 miles yesterday - planning to run/walk the same route today. So far I've had 6+ glasses of water today - will definitely get in my 10+ glass goal. Didn't get as many calories burned yesterday as I'd like. I was planning to go horseback riding, but I don't ride in thunderstorms! Today will be horseback riding, run/walking & a few loads of laundry.

***Today's question: If you were to give one piece of advice (whether you follow it consistently or not, haha) to someone working on losing weight, what would it be?***

Don't 'diet.' And don't call it 'cheating!' Eat what you like in moderation - and exercise a minimum of 30 minutes a day - push for 60 or more.
  • defygravity531
    Options

The biggest advice I needed to hear when I started was this: You won't lose weight by reading weightloss articles. It's embarassing to me how.... shocking... a revalation that was. Oh... you mean I actually have to get up and sweat? I actually have to prepare the good foods so they're waiting in my fridge/pantry when I get hungry? I have to take this knowledge and put in some blood, sweat, and tears of my own? Ohhhhhhh, ok. :) Lol.

Once I realized that the work wasn't going to do itself, things were a lot easier and I was able to take control and take responsibility for my own outcome.
  • roselose
    roselose Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time navigating here - can you give me pointers? How do I see the question of day? i didn't see the weigh in.
  • roselose
    Options
    Today's question: If you were to give one piece of advice (whether you follow it consistently or not, haha) to someone working on losing weight, what would it be?***
    JUST DO IT.
    I talked about losing weight for the last year . Knew I had to lose weight for the last two-three years, so why didn't I just do it!
    Set a date and get a partner. I find having to answer to this site helps.
  • roselose
    Options

My biggest obstacle is food, I like to eat. Another obstacle is time. I need more excercise but am not finding or making the time. I work 3 days a week from 4am - 7pm - there is little time left for life after that. On the weekend I work 4am - 1pm. Try to catch up on family and house work then. I thought I could use ny other two mornings to excercise but my husband thinks I should spend that time with him.
    I guess I am going to have to use my lunch hour more wisely.
  • defygravity531
    Options
    RoseLose - I like your no-buts attitude! Just do it! :)

And your husband is right, he should get some time with his lovely lady, but maybe he could join you for a walk a couple times a week if he wants to spend time with you? It's a time to get moving, (which is good for him too!) and to talk about your day and about life. If you have kids it might be a good opportunity to have some us-time.
  • Marsha_S
    Marsha_S Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Don't give up! If you mess up, try again and try harder.

Today I think I did alright. After I got home from work I power walked with our dog for 35 mins. Also trying to cut back on carbs a bit
  • SuperMal
    SuperMal Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My goals for Monday fizzled. We had last minute dinner plans come up with family and we didn't get home until late so I had only about 8 minutes of exercise time...there goes 30 minutes a day. :/ However, on a good note, I was able to eat reasonably and stay within my calories yesterday!

My advice to someone working on losing weight would to be start slow. You can't go from being an unhealthy someone today to a healthy someone tomorrow. It takes time to change and break bad habits. My worst habit was drinking tea, sweet tea, and its taken me 4 weeks but I no longer crave the taste. When I first started out I was substituting my cravings with diet mt.dew, which isn't much better, but at least it wasn't full of calories. Long story short, Rome wasn't built in a day, you gotta take baby steps to over come!