1 fitness "friend" advice

Options
What is the one fitness tool you suggest? Some people say pedometers, others say heart rate monitors.....I am so overwhelmed and am needing everyone's opinion and what aid you swear by and why...I have 70+ lbs to lose and intend to do it!!

Replies

• lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I think the right tool would depend a lot on the type of exercise routine and the unique goals you have. In other words, I don't believe there is one "right" tool for everyone. I, personally, would get little out of a pedometer, but I love my HRM because it motivates me. If you walk a lot, your goals may be more "step" oriented, and you could get more motivation from reaching a specific step goal for the day. Others may say resistance bands or weights are their tool of choice. Still others may say a dvd player for all those great at-home workouts.
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    A heart rate monitor with a chest strap can be your best friend. I LOVE mine. I was always worried that I wasn't burning as many calories as I thought I was because the MFP calorie burns are estimates. I got my HRM and I felt very comfortable with the readings it gave. Some were pretty close to MFP, Others were way over, depending on how much exerted myself..I feel more confident with my workouts..
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Digital food scale!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Bodybugg or a Bodymedia FIT hands down.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I didn't think a heart rate monitor would make that much of a difference, but it has been so helpful. I'm pretty sure that I've only been able to maintain my weight because I have it.

It makes you feel more confident when you have a more accurate picture of how many calories you're burning. MFP can be pretty accurate, but there are times when it's way off. And you won't know unless you have a HRM. I suggest getting something affordable with a chest strap (even though they can be a pain at first. I don't even notice I'm wearing it anymore) and see how the numbers compare with the website. I've even found that I burn more calories than MFP gives for certain exercises. I like seeing that.

Good luck to you. I think I would have lost my weight faster if I had had one when I started trying to lose weight, but I'm glad I have it now, so I can maintain my weight loss.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My smart phone! I have MFP, a run/walk tracker, a heart rate monitor, route planner, exercise programmes with videos, a stopwatch... you name it!
  • keledawn20
    keledawn20 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I keep reading about the heart rate monitors....think I will try that WITH chest strap. Where can I find these and are any better than others??
  • keledawn20
    Options
    I keep reading about the heart rate monitors....think I will try that WITH chest strap. Where can I find these and are any better than others??
  • keledawn20
    Options
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7 and love it. Any sporting goods store should have them.

Depending on what activities you are doing, you may want to consider getting with a GPS. This will keep track of your distance and pace for things like walking, running and biking. The FT7 doesn't have GPS. But, I have an iPhone and use an app on their for tracking that stuff.
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it. Most sporting good stores have them.
  • lp0007
    lp0007 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor! It's so motivational to know exactly how you are doing. I can't exercise without mine now. If you are a runner a garmin gps watch is really helpful to know how many miles you have run :smile:
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    For me, my favorites are: Smartphone (for the apps), a Polar heart rate monitor, good pair of running shoes, die hard motivation!