55 pounds in 255 days need help after gall bladder surgery

Options
2»

Replies

• janerfitnesspal145
    janerfitnesspal145 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had gall bladder surgery two months ago, and all I can say is it is great to be able to eat again without pain! I had mine removed after I ended up in the ER at 4 a.m. in absolute agony. I read a bunch of stuff before my surgery about people not being able to tolerate fats after surgery, but I haven't had any issues. Matter of fact, I've pushed it a few times since surgery just to see, and I was fine. I've gained a few pounds because I've overindulged due to finally being able to enjoy food again, but that will come off in time.
  • bethmeek27
    bethmeek27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had my GB out 2 years ago and the only thing that ever happens to me is diarrhea when I eat a LOT of fried stuff. Otherwise, no real changes.
  • 1966spen
    1966spen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Had gb out a year ago. Get upset tum if I eat too much fat and spice but losing weight no prob. Although only started healthy eating 6 months after surgery.
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Had mine out 22 years ago. What a relief it was, too! I only find issue with greasy foods - but it has improved over the years, but I still avoid them just because i shouldn't it that stuff anyway. You will feel better and better as you go along. t will take a few months to really feel like you are back to normal.
  • pbkkcn
    pbkkcn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow I am so excited and encouraged by your post and the support from everyone on my fitness pal. I have noticed my bowel movements aren't daily anymore but that's better I guess than diarrhea. I am trying to eat more bran.
  • pbkkcn
    pbkkcn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Things getting back to normal actually lost a pound this eatting little meals.
  • truetarot1988
    truetarot1988 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out last year and unlike everyone else on this board I cannot eat certain things without suffering. :( It's unfortunate because even simple things like eggs or corn destroy my stomach for the day. I've also found that I gain weight a lot easier than I did before and it's much harder to lose; however, your weight gain immediately after surgery is likely just water retention. Your body has gone thru a lot. Just BE CAREFUL, do not over do it right away, eating or exercise wise. Best of luck to you in your healing!

Edited because somehow it was italicized (sp?).

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about three years ago. Everyone is different so you will just have to wait and see. High fat foods give me what I call "phantom gallbladder pain" because I get that same feeling I had when I was having the attacks.
    I could not eat meat for over a month after I had mine out but I can eat them fine now. I also have really severe heartburn I am taking 40mg of Prilosec every day due to the bile reflux. Some people have no problems at all you will just have to wait.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    -
  • tiffiny_L
    tiffiny_L Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in March. Take a good month to recover if you can. I can eat pretty much everything I did before. If I'm having a high fat meal, I'll take digestive enzymes with ox bile to help break down the fats. I really haven't needed them though.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    My Mother-in-law had her gall bladder out 15 years ago, and I had mine out 10 years ago. She has had problems with fruits and vegetables since, but I don't know if it's related. I can eat anything without a problem.

I learned after my surgery that weight loss can be hard on the gall bladder, and many people who lose a lot of weight end up having theirs removed. It's not just over-eating fatty foods that causes gall bladder problems.
  • aquirico
    aquirico Posts: 21 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Whoops!
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My mother had hers out. High fat bothers her s bit, but not too much. Like, she will feel it if she eats 3-4 slices of cheese pizza. Nothing she comes across too often. She did say it caused more problems early on than it does now, so I think symptoms ease up.

Me too (2yrs post op), just have to avoid too much melted cheese as feel a bit sicky otherwise.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Try to just get some walking in and drink plenty of water. I had mine out and didn't change my diet. I do notice if I eat too much fat like too much pizza or fish and chips.... You probably retaining water. Try not to eat indiscriminately.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the scale, focus on healing.
    I was sick for a couple of weeks and gained 10 pounds, and now that I'm up and about again I've lost 8 pounds in 4 days. It will come off again for you too.
    Good luck with your journey!
  • 100poundproject
    100poundproject Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My experience was and is awful but this won't happen to you. I suffer from fructose malabsorption, SIBO, candida, diverticulosis and now Bile Acid Malabsorption. I can't do any foods hardly. My life has become hell. I will be 3 years post surgery in February. I have problems with all fats, wheat, dairy, sugar, fruits, most veggies, avocados, most other grains, nuts, all oils. I get severe bloating everyday, diarrhea everyday, low vitamin issues, heart palpitations, heart racing and more. Everyone else I know went back to a normal life.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!