Intermittent fasting

Options
Any success stories? I just started with a 16/8

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    It doesn't do anything magical. Just gives you a window of time in which to eat. You still have to stay within your calorie goal. I do 16/8 also. I find that I stick to my calorie goal better doing IF. I've lost almost 30lbs so far.
  • nicci288693
    nicci288693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It doesn't do anything magical. Just gives you a window of time in which to eat. You still have to stay within your calorie goal. I do 16/8 also. I find that I stick to my calorie goal better doing IF. I've lost almost 30lbs so far.

That's great :) I'm gonna stick with it. I do better with a more structured diet, so I'm hoping this will help.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I didn't use it until I need to drop 10lbs (hardest 10lbs of have ever had to drop since it was a 10lbs that actually gave me abs) for an athletic event. I have since decided it works for me and body.

Ultimately it is a was to ensure you stay in your caloric goal. It is not some magic bullet for extra loss. I used to be annoyingly slightly hungry throughout the day. Now I am satisfied from the time I break my fast until bed which keeps me from going over my cals.

I do an 18/6. I eat between 2 and 8pm.
  • nicci288693
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »
    I didn't use it until I need to drop 10lbs (hardest 10lbs of have ever had to drop since it was a 10lbs that actually gave me abs) for an athletic event. I have since decided it works for me and body.

Ultimately it is a was to ensure you stay in your caloric goal. It is not some magic bullet for extra loss. I used to be annoyingly slightly hungry throughout the day. Now I am satisfied from the time I break my fast until bed which keeps me from going over my cals.

I do an 18/6. I eat between 2 and 8pm.

I do 10 to 6 and it's working :) I need to lose 80 pounds. Maybe I'll work up to 18/6 or even try for the 20/4 eventually.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    It isn't magic but I do believe there there are extra benefits eating the same calories fasting than compared to eating them spread out. The person that is fasting is doing a lot more gluconeogenesis that someone that is spreading the meals out. This provides a metabolic advantage to the person that is fasting. You can overcome that though if you eat up that advantage. I've read that gluconeogenisis is only 57% efficient.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The main benefit is calorie and satiety management. It doesn't have any special weight loss advantage except that it may help you comply with your calorie targets. For may, including me, I can delay eating without feeling hungry. But once I start to eat, I want to keep eating. I do 16/8 and sometimes 18/6 depending on how my day is flowing. I have done this on and off for years and find that it helps with hunger/ satiety signaling.

Recently, as I have been training aggressively midday, I have been having a little whey powder and 1/2 a banana about 2 hours before my gym sessions, which are typically around 11, as I've read some research that it is better to do this for muscle sparing during hard workouts and I want to keep all the muscle mass I can while reducing body fat.
  • lou581
    lou581 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I've only just heard of this. For 16/8, you only eat for 8 hours out of 24? Do you allow yourself water outside the 8 hours? I might need to try this as well. I'm going to try 10 to 6.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    lou581 wrote: »

I've only just heard of this. For 16/8, you only eat for 8 hours out of 24? Do you allow yourself water outside the 8 hours? I might need to try this as well. I'm going to try 10 to 6.

Yes, drink lots of water while fasting.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Sure. Water. Coffee, tea. Things that have no or very low calories.
  • nicci288693
    edited September 2017
    Options

Drink as much water as you'd like. I drink 96 oz of water a day :) and yes, you allow yourself an 8 hour window in which to eat and fast for the other 16. I eat from 10 am til 6 pm so far
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Another 16:8 faster here! I eat 2pm-10pm, but allow for flexibility (I've had nights where I ate until midnight and had a shorter eating window the next day) Drink lots of water, especially during your fast! Black coffee and plain tea are good too. It's great for giving structure without giving restrictions - I'd go nuts on a diet that bans certain foods, but now I just have to wait.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm going to recommend this podcast... it's hosted by two females. Both follow the OMAD approach... they don't seem to have any issues fasting 20+ hours, in spite of their "hormones"...

http://ifpodcast.com/

I do 18:6 most days.
  • nicci288693
    Options

Hey Nicci!

Females tend to do better with a 12 hour fast because you have a lot going on hormonally.

this is an amazing podcast on the topic if youre interested in learning more

http://theshawnstevensonmodel.com/health-benefits-of-fasting/

Ok, thank you
  • nicci288693
    Options
    I'm going to recommend this podcast... it's hosted by two females. Both follow the OMAD approach... they don't seem to have any issues fasting 20+ hours, in spite of their "hormones"...

http://ifpodcast.com/

I do 18:6 most days.

I feel better when I have a restricted time frame. I'm gonna work up to 18/6 or more. It's so hard when I'm cooking for my husband and kids though. They eat totally different foods and times than I do.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Would it be worth shifting your diet to be more in line with theirs, rather than paddling against the current all the time?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Regarding the fast length for women...you both are "right". Often times women have a more difficult time with longer fasts, but it's not true for every women. Just like with most things, it's individual and can depend on the person
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I eat between 8am - 8pm so i'm a 12/12 :)
  • nicci288693
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Would it be worth shifting your diet to be more in line with theirs, rather than paddling against the current all the time?

I really like the way I feel on my keto diet, I do t wanna change. But it does feel like I'm doing alot of extra work.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Regarding the fast length for women...you both are "right". Often times women have a more difficult time with longer fasts, but it's not true for every women. Just like with most things, it's individual and can depend on the person

I agree. It just kind of annoys me when you see shirtless-pec-muscle-avatar-pic-guy say stuff like "You've got a lot going on hormonally so you should do abc instead of xyz." :unamused: Maybe I do! but I've got a way better grasp on my hormones than a guy!

No offense, @JimmyCarter1 Just my two cents.