Older Than Dirt

Hi y'all. I've been lurking around for awhile and like what I've seen so far. I just turned 64 in December. About 5 yrs ago, my lack of exercise and love of all meat that is red and food that is mexican (living in San Antonio will do that) led me to a diagnosis of Diabetes Type 2. Pretty sobering coming from a formerly active trauma nurse, now chained to a desk in the corporate world. Anyway..while watching my HgbA1C slowly climb, I decided that if I wanted to see my grandson graduate from high school, I'd better retake control of my life. Nutrisystem and Gold's Gym have become my new BFFs. I've lost 50 pounds and no longer have diabetes. I'm seeing parts of me that I haven't seen in a long time. Unfortunately, I've been doing more cardio than strength and when I look at my legs on a leg press, my formerly muscular thighs appear to have been traded for something from KFC. So, along with the cardio, I'm embarking on a course of weight training. I still have about 20 pounds to drop before I get into the "normal" BMI range, but overall, I'm happy with hearing people say; "Where did the other half of you go?". If you don't mind, I'll hang around. I'm using the MFP app along with my Up3 to keep things honest. If there is anyone else around that has gone/is going through/contemplating, I'd be happy to make your acquaintence as we travel down this road together.

Replies

• egc52556
    egc52556 Posts: 13 Member
    I'm 58, so almost as old as dirt. :-)

I've recently started getting help from a fitness trainer and recommend it. Now that I'm closing in on my goal (roughly the 50/20 you mentioned) she's started to get me to think less of weight loss and more on "fitness", improved balance, and strength. Also some HIIT tips for digging out the hard-to-reach fat.

BTW, there is a wide range of quality in fitness trainers. The one I'm with has a 4-year degree in fitness, has worked with Olympic athletes, and teaches as the local university. Some "fitness trainers" have a 6-week certificate and not much experience. Caveat Emptor.