Stretch Marks!!

Options
With a 30lb weight gain in a year came stretch marks. They are mostly around my belly button and some on my hips. I know that you can't get rid of stretch marks but mine are super red and visible. I was wondering if anyone has something they use to make them less visible ?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Agree. Time is the best medicine for stretch marks.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Agreed with both of the above but I do find that they fade a little in the summer when I get some sun. Maybe it's just that they're not contrasting to the pale skin of winter, but it's helped a little with the appearance. They haven't gone away, though, just blended a bit.
  • kcl113
    kcl113 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I gained more than 60 lbs in less than 6 months, and had tons of very red stretch marks on my arms. I thought my arms would just be watermelon-striped forever and stopped looking at them, but also lost some of the weight by resuming some of my pre-weight gain habits. A year or two later, I realized that they were much less visible. Nowadays, I can barely find them at all and *I* know they're there, so I doubt anyone else can tell. If you have patience, there is hope that you won't have to see them any more!
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    I've used bio oil on mine and it's made them less red. You have to be consistent when using it though.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Yep they will get lighter in color then almost your skin color, or at least that is my experience. I had 3 babies in 3 years and got my fair share, but now they are noticeable only if you get close (youngest is 4 years old now).
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I was always told that if you get them while they are still new (red) that Retin A can help to really fade them better. Retin A increases collagen production and can help reduce their appearance. It doesn't work on older, faded ones.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm black, so my stretch marks ended up looking lighter than my skin tone vs. being red. The redness SHOULD go away with weight loss and time, but the stretch scars will still be there. Not as noticeable though.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I thought coconut oil was good for them
  • dehiliawalsh
    dehiliawalsh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used bio oil (I got it at target for like $11ish) twice a day for about a month and they definitely got lighter but i didn't stick with it long enough to be able to say if it will totally get rid of them.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You can't ever get rid of them. They are scars deep into the dermis of the skin. All you can do is try to reduce the redness (which will fade over time) or make their appearance less noticeable. I mentioned the Retin-A above because it is the only thing that will encourage the production of collagen deep in the skin and sort of fill them in. Unfortunately, you have to ask your doctor for a prescription.

I remember the first stretch marks I got (pregnant). I didn't even gain much weight but they showed up around month 5 on the sides of my butt. I mentioned it to my OB/GYN at the end of my pregnancy and he just wrote up the prescription. I did use it and they faded quite well. You can't really see them at all anymore but if I run my hand over the area I can sort of feel them.
  • bigback2017
    bigback2017 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks....

You seem Sexy Tiger Stipes !
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    No lotion or potion will make them fade. If you want to use something that supposedly helps then there's no harm in it but you might as well save your money; time is the only thing that will make them fade, and they will fade to beautiful shimmers eventually. Hardly noticeable:)
  • KV621
    KV621 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bio oil and exfoliating. I have terrible skin and exfoliating is the best medicine. I couldn’t even save before I started exfoliating or I’d be a red bumpy itchy mess. The ones on my hips and back have more color tho because they’re huge some over an inch wide but they’re still fading like the rest.