Weight loses for infertility

Options
I feel so hopeless and really need help. I am Pcos and suspecting that I have insulin resistance. I have to lose weight to get pregnant , but insulin resistance is very big problem to lose weight. What is your recommendation for losing weight with insulin resistance?

Replies

• JenObRN
    JenObRN Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    They should making you an appointment with a dietician to work on your diet. To Get your blood glucose under control.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic (low carb) diets are recommended often for PCOS patients. There's a lot of threads on here about it. Try looking under the nutrition section.
  • zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    1. You should see an endocrinologist. As you're trying to get pregnant, make it a reproductive endocrinologist if you can. They specialize in hormones and how they impact pregnancy/fertility. They will be able to make a full and proper assessment of your situation and how to proceed. Maybe medication, maybe just lifestyle, maybe an issue unrelated to PCOS.

2. I don't know what your current diet looks like. But cut calories. Follow MFP calorie recommendations and see how that goes. Be a bit more active. It may be a slower process, but there's no reason you can't do it. And figure out what works for you - a super restrictive diet (ex keto) or small maintainable changes. One isn't necessarily better than the other (this is much debated) - pick the one you'll actually stick to.

I'm doing it (slowly as I'm not the most consistent), I have PCOS and I'm on Meds for it.
    If I'm doing it you will too.
  • hnur
    hnur Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all
    I consider your recommendations. Also, I had had insulin resistance test and the result was normal.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    hnur wrote: »
    What is your recommendation for losing weight with insulin resistance?

Losing body fat requires eating fewer calories than you burn. This is true for everyone. Weigh everything you eat on a food scale and log it. For more tips, read the top sticky posts in the Diet and Getting Started forums. :+1:
  • ramshackles
    ramshackles Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Eat a healthy, balanced diet and stay positive
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Don't for one second believe weight hampers the ability to get pregnant. That is a bias that exists among the medical community. Obese women are continuing to give birth around the world as naturally as possible.

You can be fit as a fiddle and have infertility because of genetic issues, diminished ovarian reserve, low amh, or your husband's sperm motility.

Like the person above said, you need to see a reproductive endocrinologist.

Truth. I was obese both times I got pregnant. The first was an oops related to a single-event birth control failure. The second I got pregnant the first month of trying. Which means even if it is a trend it's not an absolute.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Don't for one second believe weight hampers the ability to get pregnant. That is a bias that exists among the medical community. Obese women are continuing to give birth around the world as naturally as possible.

You can be fit as a fiddle and have infertility because of genetic issues, diminished ovarian reserve, low amh, or your husband's sperm motility.

Like the person above said, you need to see a reproductive endocrinologist.

She has PCOS. Losing weight often improves fertility among women with PCOS. Your points about bring fit as a fiddle, other factors, etc do not apply. I agree with seeking out an RE but the first recommendation will likely be to lose weight.

OP, eat in a small to moderate deficit (10-20%) and add some activity (30-60 minutes most days.) Do not cut your calories to a minimum while cranking up activity to manic levels. The former is sustainable. The latter is not. You'll lose fine.

The above is what I did. I dropped 25 lbs and eighteen months after my RE told me that further treatments wouldn't be successful, we conceived without medical intervention. I can't promise that it will work but losing weight is a huge help with PCOS.