Do area specific exercises (Eg. Tummy crunches) work?

Options
As briefly as I can (I'm prone to waffle)... I'm 46 and have been porky all my life. I've finally decided to stop "dieting" (as I was clearly getting it all wrong and trying every new fad briefly then giving up). I'm just trying to make healthy choices and am logging everything I eat - good, bad and ugly - honestly on here every day. It's really helping me make healthier choices and I have been shocked by my previous calorie intake. I walk my dog (swiftly) on a hilly route, twice a day for over an hour each time and I also have a physically demanding job (I'm a professional gardener). I would consider myself fit but fat! I've lost my way over the years and have read too many conflicting articles on diet and exercise to know what's what any more! Do you, real people out there, think that I would benefit from doing something like say crunches to help reduce my tummy? Or is that type of exercise pointless until you can actually see what you've got to work with? I'm about 35lbs overweight - have lost 8lbs so far this month (hooray!). Thankyou, Kim

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Spot reducing does not work. It's like trying to use the only the gallon of gas in one part of your tank. Fat will come off where it wants to, based on genetics. For many women the stomach is the last to go.

However, exercising can improve your stomach muscles, which will make your stomach appear smaller. Strength training will also help to preserve your existing muscle mass while you eat at a deficit.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    In terms of spot reduction, no, they are not going to help. The fat will come off where it wants to, naught you can do to change that.

However, doing some strength training - even body weight stuff, eating at a sensible deficit, and getting enough protein as you lose weight will help you retain more lean body mass, and you will look better at the end once the fat is off and you can see what's underneath :)
  • kmclellan71
    kmclellan71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thankyou both :)
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I wish spot reduction worked haha.

Losing body fat is the only way to really remove the tummy. Core work is nice but burns very little calories and you'll find strength training to be more effective than actual crunches.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Crunches are actually not very good ab exercises. They often hurt backs, necks, and can cause rounded belly not flat belly. So very 1989...

Better choices are Core- based workouts that focus on a balanced array of trunk muscles.
  • dawn_westbury
    dawn_westbury Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    For muscle gain yes... if you do 7,983 crunches everyday and nothing else... you'll HAVE a nice six pack UNDER then fat! Etc .. I WISH you could spot lose fat!!!!!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    For muscle gain yes... if you do 7,983 crunches everyday and nothing else... you'll HAVE a nice six pack UNDER then fat! Etc .. I WISH you could spot lose fat!!!!!

'Cept you don't gain muscle mass when eating at a deficit ;)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

You certainly can develop your existing muscle while eating at a deficit.
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited September 2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

You certainly can develop your existing muscle while eating at a deficit.

If you mean strengthen, yes. I was specifically referring to building new muscle (excluding some very specific circumstances, blah, blah).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

crunches alone will NOT give you a 6pack no matter how many you do. everyone already has a 6 pack it just depends on how well developed the muscle is and how low of body fat you have to be for them to appear.
  • dawn_westbury
    dawn_westbury Posts: 358 Member
    Options

I know, but you get what I’m saying
  • kmclellan71
    kmclellan71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all. Very helpful information.