Earned calories from exercise?

Options
Am I able or should I consume the calories I burn after I work out.. Is the key to losing not to consume those calories?

Replies

• vulrich93
    Options
    Yes you eat the calories you burned off from exercise. The key to losing weight is creating an overall caloric deficit. For example, my basal metabolic rate is 1660. If I only NET 1200 calories, I'll be in a deficit of 460 each day.
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that everyone says eat back the calories. But I rarely do and have lost 12 lbs in about 7 weeks. So if it works for you, great! But I dont think it should be mandatory.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Eat them. MFP already programs what you need to lose from your settings.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    you're supposed to eat them.
    A lot of places say don't, but they are using your exercise to create a deficit. MFP has you ALREADY eating at a deficit, so exercising can make that deficit way too large and can cause you to be undernourished. So since you are already given a deficit built into your calorie goal, you should eat them, or at the very least half of them (in case they are overestimated), to prevent you from being undernourished.
    Your body needs fuel to work out and if you aren't eating enough then you aren't getting maximum benefit from your workout. You'll be tired, slow, weak, etc.
  • amymsbailey
    Options
    You dont have to eat them all but your deficit is already figured into you diet/ calorie intake. So whatever you don't eat of your burned calories is extra you are losing.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat them. Unlike a lot of other plans, MFP doesn't factor in the amount of exercise you do UNTIL you do it. The more you burn, the more you need to refuel.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat them. Unlike a lot of other plans, MFP doesn't factor in the amount of exercise you do UNTIL you do it. The more you burn, the more you need to refuel.
    ^^^ Listen to this lady, she speaks wisely!
  • ♚SuperHeather♚
    Options
    I realize we are supposed to eat our calories we burn.. only issue is that most days I am just left with calories. Not many things to eat that are only calories.
  • shydee
    shydee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the best mindset - but my motivation to working out is so that I CAN eat more!!
  • cmarshel
    cmarshel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I exercise for the health benefit...not to lose weight. I use "eating them back" as the carrot to exercise in the first place. So far it has worked for me.

DISCLAIMER - Your results may vary. :-)
  • jacksamjack
    jacksamjack Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the best mindset - but my motivation to working out is so that I CAN eat more!!

I agree - you an earn yourself some breathing space by doing the exercise. Plus, once I have worked hard to earn 150 cals I really think about how I am going to spend them and eat wisely!!
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options

I totally agree! It is pretty tough to stay within my calorie goal if I don't exercise. I also agree with people that have said you need to eat most, but not necessarily all of your calories back. Don't starve yourself, but it is okay to be under goal sometimes.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Me too! Gotta love eating back those exercise cals lol! :laugh:
  • BroDave
    BroDave Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I try to burn about 1000 calories each day 6 days a week and I only eat back the calories if I am hungry. I started at 280 in January and this morning I was at 219, that's 61 lbs in 7 months.

I have come to the conclusion that it is different for everyone and you need to try different things and see what works for you.
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    By all means.....if you are trying to empty that bucket make sure you POUR OUT 4 gallons and then PUT BACK 4 gallons. I you do this, that bucket will eventually be empty......some how.....but i have no idea how....

MFP already includes a deficit for you IF you know Exactly how much you eat and burn.....but you only have around 200 cals per day. I don't know about you but I don't know exactly how many I burn and I like my margin of error much higher as I am actually trying to lose weight and not just hang out here telling people how to lose weight while not showing my own progress like a lot of people on here do.