What to do with a skirt I just bought on line that's too small? Wait till I reach goal, or return?

Options
Everyone here has such great advice, so I'd like to ask this question: I just bought a gorgeous new expensive designer skirt on eBay for $46, BUT although I can squeeze into the rest of it, I can't get the zipper closed at the waist band. I still have another 15 pounds to go before goal, so maybe it will be fine then. The problem is, with eBay, you need to return things right away if you want to return them, unlike stores that give you some time. So, would you suggest returning it or holding onto it?

Replies

• nchrty
    nchrty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would keep it as it is a reasonable goal to get into it and it might be a good incentive. In fact I would hang it up on the outside of my closet so I saw it every day as a reminder to stay on point.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you. How important is $46 to you? It will probably fit by the time you reach your goal so I would probably keep it
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I'm with nchrty on this. Like her idea and 15 lbs is enough that you will be able to do the zipper. But again it's all up to you
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'd return it, because with 15lbs to go you could find that it'll be too big when you get to target! $46 is a lot of money to spend on a gamble Xx
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has such great advice, so I'd like to ask this question: I just bought a gorgeous new expensive designer skirt on eBay for $46, BUT although I can squeeze into the rest of it, I can't get the zipper closed at the waist band. I still have another 15 pounds to go before goal, so maybe it will be fine then. The problem is, with eBay, you need to return things right away if you want to return them, unlike stores that give you some time. So, would you suggest returning it or holding onto it?

I don't know. Is $46 a lot for you to spend on something you may not wear?

I'd probably want to get something that fit now so would return the item.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance now. When I was losing, I deliberately bought a pair of jeans that were too small and left them out as incentive. Every once in a while I would try them on until one day they fit. Return or not return is up to you. I would keep the skirt if I loved it and thought it would fit eventually.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'd return it. You don't know where those 15lbs will come off and your shape will change, so the skirt may not look right then. I'd think wasting $46 would be too risky for me.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    Return. You need nice clothes that fit now. Always strive to look your best.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    return it
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "return it" camp. There's no telling how your shape will change, as others have said above.

I bought a cute denim dress in size 16 when I wore size 18 and was losing rapidly. I tried it on pretty often, hoping to get into it & enjoy wearing it, but by the time it fit my hips, I was wearing size 12 and it swam on me everywhere else. That dress was a four dollar thrift shop item, but I wouldn't have done that with a more expensive piece.

Obviously a skirt would have a better chance of fitting, but it's not a guarantee.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Return it- I bought a cute Ann Taylor dress (granted from Goodwill for like $3) that I thought I would wear once I hit that size...unfortunately, my hips weren't on the losing block during that time period and I eventually got to the point the upper body and waist was too big/loose (thanks, shrinking boobs) but my hips stayed about the same and the whole look was distinctly not flattering. Back to Goodwill it went.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I currently have (because I have space for) an aspirational wardrobe. Almost all but my intimates shopping is secondhand, so when I see something in my size all the way down to the size I'm aiming for I'll pick it up. I rarely spend more than about £6 on something, so it's not a huge amount of financial investment, and we have the space. As I've dropped in size, I shop from that wardrobe and cull what's now too big for me.

If it's a skirt you adore, that you will kick yourself for not giving a chance, keep it. If you don't shrink in a way that matches the fit of the piece, sell it on EBay - obviously there's a market. However, if money or space are more valuable than the skirt, send it back.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Keep it. Even if you can't return it after x date, chances are you can relist it if you decide it's not going to work for you!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Return it. My rule is don't buy/keep anything I can't wear today.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    KEEP IT. I officially wore a pair of pants this week that I bought in FEB and they never fit but I knew they would when I reached goal. What a feeling!
  • waltzingmom
    waltzingmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow. I love hearing about everyone's experiences with this. Still undecided though!!
  • waltzingmom
    waltzingmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    oh, and Congrats to ccruz985 for fitting into those pants! and everyone else who met or blew past their goals! So glad to hear this - very inspiring!
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm with @DananaNanas Keep it if you love it because some things are one of a kind and if it doesn't wind up fitting, resell it