Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Winter is going. We get no snow.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    We have great trails for both skate & classic 15 minutes from my house.......I may just buy pass this year for a bit of a change from the running.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It will be back soon enough!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    We have great trails for both skate & classic 15 minutes from my house.......I may just buy pass this year for a bit of a change from the running.

As a runner, you'll probably find it an easy transition - and refreshing.

I can ski a hilly 10K in 35 minutes on classic gear.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    winter is coming... there will be no snow... :cry:
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    Options
    Start of spring here ..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness winter is slowly being pushed out by spring. But it's going kicking and screaming. Snow is predicted down to 400 metres again tomorrow ... and yet the daffodils and cherry trees are in bloom.

We do get snow, but unfortunately not enough to do anything with.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    cannot wait till it is a blizzard and minus 35, want to snowshoe and ice skate!, oh yes!, but today is hot with humidex and the pool is still open, so drinks by the pool for me,.... for now!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    God no.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    cannot wait till it is a blizzard and minus 35, want to snowshoe and ice skate!, oh yes!, but today is hot with humidex and the pool is still open, so drinks by the pool for me,.... for now!

I haven't skated or played hockey on a lake in almost 30 years now. I think I may have to seek one out if it gets cold enough this year.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

You said humidex.....you must be Canadian!

Yeah, it's going to be over 30 here this weekend and the Army Run is Sunday. I'm looking forward to winter.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

As a runner, you'll probably find it an easy transition - and refreshing.

I can ski a hilly 10K in 35 minutes on classic gear.

I picked up a pair of classic skis, boots etc a couple of years back and actually invested in some lessons but didn't get out much last year. I figure if I buy the season pass for Gatineau Park it'll take away any excuses I may have for being lazy.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Significant snow likely at Paradise this weekend.
  • GettingThere62
    GettingThere62 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    77 days until ski season ⛷⛷⛷
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Ex-skier here - - old age & too many injuries -
    but I do miss the sound and feel of letting the skis run over freshly groomed slopes.

Haven't been in the mts during winter for several years but I still have a pair of snow shoes and treking poles that I hope to make use of this season.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I am thankful every winter that where I am from, snow is recreational and voluntary.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    um . . . so i take it 'corduroy' does not mean the clothes?

asking for a friend.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options

asking for a friend.

"Corduroy" refers to the texture of the surface of hard packed snow when groomed by machine on ski slopes, which has the parallel rowed look of corduroy.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

asking for a friend.

Have a look at the snow the guy in the first post is skiing over. Note the resemblance to corduroy pants. "Fresh corduroy" means snow that's just been groomed for cross country skiing. (You can ski on non-groomed snow too, but groomed is faster and easier, like a bike on smooth new pavement.)
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ME!!! But I'm alpine rather than x-country and my skiing winter is scheduled to start in less than 8 weeks.... I'm already impatiently checking the resort web-cams in anticipation of lots of snow.