Controlling Portion Size

How does everyone manage their portion size for meals?

I find remembering that my stomach is only as big as my fist is an easy way to do it. I just have to imagine my food squished up and if it'd comfortably fit in my stomach or not. After a while, it got to the point where if I ate more than that I would start to feel uncomfortably full.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Digital kitchen scale. It's a must.

This^
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I've learned approximately how much food equals a satisfying meal for me, and that's what I put on my plate. For example, for dinner, it's about 100 grams each of meat, starch, and veggie, plus butter.

Also, if I am eating at a restaurant I plan to bring half the entree home.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Yep, the food scale for the win.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    I want Hershey Kisses now
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    I just measure my food :\
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Volendral wrote: »
    How does everyone manage their portion size for meals?

I find remembering that my stomach is only as big as my fist is an easy way to do it. I just have to imagine my food squished up and if it'd comfortably fit in my stomach or not. After a while, it got to the point where if I ate more than that I would start to feel uncomfortably full.

There are so many ways to do this. What you found is a great way to do it. For some it's a food scale, for some it's a dessert plate, for some it's the fist or palm size, and measuring cups and measuring spoons, and reading the labels to find what a true serving size is and the energy value. All this can teach us sustainability and good habits for life. You are doing it! Great job!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Since I cook for just one, me, it's easy. Cooking for a bigger family is a skill set I haven't cultivated. I can easily cook too much, but just enough for several people eludes me.
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    Digital kitchen scale. It's a must.

This^

Ditto