Beginner, need gym confidence

Options
Hi all, I'm new, currently a slender 70kg and looking to gain some muscle.

There a gym at my work and I'm planning to join, but don't want to turn up and have no idea what I'm doing. I've spent weeks reading stuff, still don't feel confident enough to get started.

A couple of things that would help...

I'm unsure on a good weights routine for someone who has never lifted a weight before. I've seen the must reads list, but also seen people say complete beginners should start very basic?

I'm worried about any routine that requires barbells. I don't know how to handle that in the gym, does it need a spotter(?) and worried about getting hurt.

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I train alone & don't have a spotter. I use the squat rack with safety rails about 1/3 way down in case I can't get back. Leg press has safety pins too. I got a plan done by a trainer so I was more confident & knew what and how much to start lifting.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere. Just don't worry about what anyone else is lifting or doing and focus on yourself. Here is a great place to start. When I first started to workout about six years ago I had never lifted weights and never been in the gym. This gave me workouts, reps, sets and the videos are motivating as well. It also gives you a diet and supplements if they are in your budget. Best of luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJacHt3nzrM
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    And, I find that most people at the gym - any gym - will not bug you as they are there doing their thing. Most women have the added concern about "that guy"....believe me when I tell you that there are usually enough folks there that if "that guy" starts bugging you that someone will refocus his attention (and, yes - I am one of the guys who is really good at 're-focusing attention'). And most guys are too worried about being "that guy" that they do not speak to women at the gym.

And I have worked out with lots of people who fear that they do not fit in '...because I do not look like everyone else...'! I always tell them "..well, maybe! But, if you keep coming here every day and doing your work outs you will in time!". That always works.

And I sometimes go to a different gym and there might be some machines there that are not at my usual gym. I do not usually use machines....I am a barbell | dumbbell kinda guy.....but sometimes I do (like the adductor | abductore machine, for example). I look really stupid sometimes trying to figure out how a machine works. And, if anyone says anything I always have a quick reply...something like "Hey, you expect me to be smart AND look this good?"....that always works, too!

In other words, don't make this (going to a gym) more than it is. You are not going to know how to do things. Shoot...ask someone! Most people will see you with a "how in the he.....?" look on your face and offer help. I have worked in with lots of people doing squats and dead lifts just because I ask. Or, they ask me. No one is going to bite you because you asked a 'dumb question'.

Most people in the gym are pretty good people. MOST!

Go, be confident, do your thing, if there is staff at the gym then ask them if you do not want to bother anyone (and I am pretty sure that you will not be 'bothering' anyone if you do ask).....just go do it! :smile:
  • NiallW
    NiallW Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice. I'll just walk in and join and see if they have a personal trainer setup that can get me started.

I'd prefer to trust the reliable routine on here, but for a simple starting point I think just get going is the best thing.

Any advice on best way to get started with a routine?
    Should I just start with an established bulking routine or ease in somehow?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    @NiallWaller2 - Before you "bulk", what is your body fat percentage? And, what is your history or weight training? Nutritional history?

When you bulk you eat more than usual (as you need to feed the machine) and you need to make sure that you have a sensible breakdown of macro-nutrients. When you eat more you stand a good chance of putting on weight....and along with that body fat.

Yes, you stated that you are slender....but there is such a thing as "skinny fat"! Not suggesting you are that, but....we have to ask to give you the best advise.

And, yes - you stated that you have never done weight training before. Have you looked at the various starter | beginner programs? There are lots and lots.

If I might suggest, consider something like Strong Lifts or Starting Strength. However, form is SUPER important and doing squats and dead lifts are potentially dangerous if your form is not the best. I speak from experience. My form is now really really good....but can always say that!

Does this make sense?
  • jlhflex
    jlhflex Posts: 107 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    We have a very nice gym at work and there are 3 if us that religiously go year round. I use to love the solitude but eventually it gets old. When you hit plateaus, it's good to have a partner or spotter. That's my take.. As far as you, don't be intimidated by the people or the equipment. Everyone started somewhere and most normal people are just as frustrated as you may feel. Most people are in their own world in the gym, so they barely notice others. I think if you start light and start, yes, very basic you will be ok. If youre afraid in the beganning, start with Machines. They are relatively safe. It's also hard to go wrong with form on machines, unless it's "short stroking" or bouncing the weight. I have faith in you!
  • NiallW
    NiallW Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @NiallWaller2 - Before you "bulk", what is your body fat percentage? And, what is your history or weight training? Nutritional history?

I've just done the math and by body fat is something like 19%. I'm 5'11 tall.
    I've almost never picked up a weight and certainly don't know what good form looks like (other than from a few web pages I've looked at today).

I'm reading more on Strong Lifts 5x5 right now - it does look like it's far more beginner-ish than I'd realised. I should just commit and go?
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

I've just done the math and by body fat is something like 19%. I'm 5'11 tall.
    I've almost never picked up a weight and certainly don't know what good form looks like (other than from a few web pages I've looked at today).

I'm reading more on Strong Lifts 5x5 right now - it does look like it's far more beginner-ish than I'd realised. I should just commit and go?

Yes.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    @NiallW - that would be a great start for you. There are several other beginner programs out there. Start this Strong Lifts 5x5 program and re-assess after eight to 12 weeks.

Strong Lifts 5x5 increases the weight of each lift each session. There are other programs out there that increase the weight of each lift each week. And there are programs out there that do a percentage of your one-rep max. That would likely be difficult for you to determine (what your 1RM is) so let's maybe not consider those just yet (at the moment, anyway).

Commit to it and re-assess after two or three months. I would suggest at least doing the program for three months, to be honest. No matter which one you start. Unless there is some compelling reason to try a different program sooner.
  • GerlaineGerry
    GerlaineGerry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Everyone started one day! Don't get discouraged. Many of the gym goers mind their own business. I suggest you get a trainer for the beginning to show you how to use the gym equipment and also how to properly do some exercises. Good luck