Do you trust Calories Remaining?

For those of you who have had great success using MFP, I was wondering if you trusted the Remaining Calories calculation?

On average I am finishing the day with 700 calories remaining... I've lost about 10 lb in the last month and things are going well.

However, since tracking what I eat and shedding light on the junk (and not eating it anymore) I am having terrible trouble eating my 1600cpd goal.

So the combination of what I eat, how much and my daily activity puts me at 700 calorie remaining each day, on average...

Is this an invitation to eat a little more or have a snack or is it a false l promise?

On a lot of days, when I close out my day I get the warning saying I'm not eating enough although I'm satisfied...

What gives?

Replies

• Steelheader102
    Steelheader102 Posts: 17 Member
    I'm eating more calories, but the remaining calorie adjustment is a combination of anything under 1600 and what it"claims" I burnt in activity...

Other than a long walk a few times a week I don't "work out". .. I just go to work everyday...

I come in close to 1600 calories eaten each day, but not always. I eat till I'm satisfied and I'm not starving...
  • Steelheader102
    By the way, I eat a lot of protein, healthy meats everyday. I eat salad, veggies, fibers everyday. Of course I could eat more but I'm not seeing it as necessary.

The question is do people trust the remaining calories as a chance or opportunity to eat more or is it a myth?

I have about 40lbs to go.
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    edited September 2017
    I eat my calorie goal 1290 and I also eat back about 1/2 - 3/4 of my activity calories I earn so yes I trust it and yes I consistently lose weight doing so.

ETA I currently have 34 lbs to go.
  • 4gig
    4gig Posts: 22 Member
    I it also depends on you settings and how you are tracking your exercise. For example I have a Fitbit I use to track my exercise so I set my activity level to sedentary on mfp and I eat back about half of my exercise calories and have been steadily losing weight about on track. The reason I only eat half back is that Fit it hr models tend to overestimate calories burned while exercising. Some devices are better I've heard Apple Watch and Garmin tend to be fairly accurate and the mfp app estimates are fairly safe to go by.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,464 Member
    Yes, 700 deficit is too much! If it is average, then some days are more. Much too much!
  • Steelheader102
    Well if you all are telling me I need to eat more, I'll try to get back half of remaining calories and see how it goes.

By the way, I'm using Google Fit in my phone to talk activity.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    I don't see anything wrong with not eating back excersise calories. I'm sure some days it will be more some days less. I personally wouldn't force myself to eat if I'm full and satisfied. I eat, not because it tells me I have calories remaining, I eat because I'm hungry. I really don't pay attention to remaining calories.
  • mboutain2001
    mboutain2001 Posts: 10 Member
    I try to stay at or just above alloted calories, if I am above I make sure my adjusted is higher by doing something. If I workout I make sure I hit my protein levels. I have lost 47 pounds at a rate of 3 pounds per month.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    The question is - what is your goal? How many lbs a week? You've lost 2.5 lbs a week. So unless your goal is that, you're eating too little. But even if your goal is 2 lbs a week and you only lost 2.5 lbs a week with an extra 700 calorie deficit, you're way underestimating your food intake anyway (or you would have lost 17 lbs).

That being said, with 40 lbs to lose, personally I'd eat a little bit more.
  • notquitecrazey
    notquitecrazey Posts: 6 Member
    Even though I have a fitness tracker, I don't trust it. I shoot for my calories, and I view any that my fitness tracker counts as burned as a bonus gift to myself. It's very frustrating, but there really isn't a reliable way to see how much you've burned exactly.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Even though I have a fitness tracker, I don't trust it. I shoot for my calories, and I view any that my fitness tracker counts as burned as a bonus gift to myself. It's very frustrating, but there really isn't a reliable way to see how much you've burned exactly.

You'd be better to eat half back.

But as to how to know the accuracy, it just takes a bit of time to be able to compare your expected loss based on your calorie limits vs. your actual loss. Losing fast than you plan, eat more. Average of 4-6 weeks is a good place to start.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    I agree with there being some sort of miscalculation. If you're feeling fine and losing fine, then there's an error in calories burned or calories consumed. Can you just not enter your normal daily activities? Only enter in official "workouts"?
  • Steelheader102
    Well regardless if things are recording correct or are accurate or not, I'm going to keep going as I am.. staying slightly under my calorie goals and if the app says I didn't eat enough, I'll be the judge of that.

I'll weigh in again on Friday and report back any changes
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

also remember your fitness tracker isn't just showing calories burnt from exercise but also from general daily movement and living
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    Use weight trend not daily weight (especially when measuring only once a week or once a month) to judge progress--weight loss is variable and water weight changes faster than fat levels.

Fitness trackers are not accurate, your food logging is not accurate, the food values you use are not accurate.... but if you consistently and faithfully log to the best of your ability and use a device that is able to consistently capture your activities, then you can adjust based on your results over a period of time (3 to 5 weeks, including TOM if applicable). And that WOULD be accurate when it comes to you!

Based on your results (faster than 2lbs a week), you are relatively under-eating. Doing so is not necessarily good for you. You will retain more lean mass by limiting your losses to 0.5 to 0.75% of your bodyweight per week. Lots of people will say that losses up to 1% a week are fine too.

Note that there are no bonus points for getting to maintenance fast. The bonus points will accumulate when and if you manage to maintain your loss for three, five, or even more years.

Various trackers work better or worse for particular individuals based on how close to the average these individuals are and on the type of activity the trackers are trying to account for.

n=1. According to Google Fit I over-eat by approximately 25% and should be gaining weight like crazy. According to Fitbit I should be able to achieve the results I am achieving AND eat about 5% more Calories a day. On average I eat ~2950 Cal....