What is a cheat day?

Options
What is a cheat day? What are the rules others use on this day. Not sure if I am doing it correctly or not....or if there is even a correct way?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Is there a correct way to cheat at anything? The question is how are you going to make up for it?
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'd say just have a cheat meal, but try not to make it any trigger foods. The stuff that really gets you
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    for me it's where I have a meal of my choice like McDonalds or something once a week. it works for me
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I had one yesterday. We went to a bbq, and there were drinks and snacks too. I wasn't even going to begin to try working out the calories!
  • Shelley_ac34
    Shelley_ac34 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Like mentioned before. Have a cheat meal and not a cheat day! Don't go to crazy but let yourself indulge a little. Also work towards it. Set a goal and than have a cheat meal! Don't just have one every week!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    As you can tell, there isn't really a consensus on "cheat days/meals." I think the only right way to do it is whatever works for you to help stick to a deficit more often than not. As you can also see, the "cheating" concept ruffles feathers sometimes as well. Again, to each their own. I try and log everything and always try to enter something even it's just ball park, although I know some would rather take the occasional logging vacation. I also average by week and month so that I can vary from day to day, as I enjoy going out on the weekends, which usually eats up about half my deficit from the rest of the week. Some people find they can't keep a deficit that way, and that's cool too. So long as you're keeping sane and losing weight at a rate that you're happy with, there are no rules.
  • velvetsparkle13
    velvetsparkle13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I tend to end up in situations where I go out some place and don't have access to my own food. Sometimes with friends or at work they have something and I'm hungry and can't have anything else. So I'll eat pizza on free work pizza day or I'll get a latte and go out to eat with my friend. I always use my "cheat day for doing something out of the norm. It helps me not have it as part of my daily routine. So I can't get into the habit of it because it was a specific situation.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    What is a cheat day? What are the rules others use on this day. Not sure if I am doing it correctly or not....or if there is even a correct way?

No idea ... I've never, ever had a "cheat day".
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It means different things to different people.

Some use it as one day to just do a blow-out of eating. From morning until evening they might partake in their old habits and eat and drink anything they want.

For others (and it's probably my own definition), it's the one day you might have a meal out or a rich dessert at the end of a meal and you knowingly go over your daily calorie limit.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have a cheat meal usually chips or few extra cookies, that's what I consider a cheat meal. But I always make up for it the next day, by either going for a run or pushing extra hard with my workout. I think it's important to indulge once in a while ( a week).
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I have days where 'taste' and 'want' take priority over macro goals. (I.E., one day a week where I know I'm almost definitely going to be below my protein and iron targets because, goldarnnit, I want to have more carbs and fat in my life.) BUT I plan for that day, pre-log ahead of time, and stay on-track with my calorie and exercise goals. To me, that's not a cheat day by any stretch. It's more... while I don't consciously plan for an '80/20 split' between nutrient dense food and whatever else my tastebuds might want, it probably works out that way. And more than 80% falls out six days of the week and more than 20% on the seventh.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    No cheating.. this implies guilt and shame over food and I never like to feel bad about eating. So for myself, eating my normal calorie amounts each day during the week is way more important than saving/restricting further during the week so I can eat what ever on one day. But some bank calories so they can eat up maintenance on this day if they choose too.

Weekends I allow 'treat' meal or rather this meal is still within my normal calories, it is just compromised of more relaxed food choices not in my regular week day.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are unicorns.